Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-29-2014, 01:13 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,156,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
Michigan and Texas have alot in common. Lower education funding, low test scores, steal from the poor give to the rich, unhealthy population. When water becomes as valuable as oil Michigan will be the same as Texas.
No. Michigan and Texas have almost nothing in common.

Michigan = union friendly. Texas = not union friendly.
Michigan = higher crime. Texas = lower crime
Michigan = few Hispanics. Texas = more Hispanics
Michigan = income tax Texas = no income tax
Michigan's largest city declining in population. All Texas cities growing in population
Michigan unemployment rate = 9%, Texas = 5.5%
Michigan state/local tax burden = 9.6%, Texas = 7.5%
Michigan per capita income = $45,981, Texas = $49,392
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 01:20 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,150,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
That is the title. There is TEMA and TMS. TEMA is manufacturing and engineering, TMS is Toyota motor sales.
I get my "buzz" from the admins at the Mississippi plant, not the guy on the bus or the vets in the waiting room at the VA.
The on-line article refers to it as Toyota Motors Engineering & Manufacturing.

If you don't like, take it up with these clowns...

Toyota closing NKY headquarters; 1,600 jobs lost

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
I don't like incentives like this - but it is an unfortunate part of states competing for companies.
Okay.

State competition is good, but not as presently structured.

I've always advocated a federal law -- even an amendment -- that creates a level playing by barring any State or lower level government from offering any form of incentive.

How then would States compete? How do States, counties and cities lure "jobs" if they cannot offer property tax abatement for 20 years and income tax, payroll tax or other forms of tax abatement or rebates?

Try good government.

I'm going to locate my facility where security, safety, emergency services, drinking water, sewage and garbage removal and maintenance of infrastructure are best.

Plus lots of green space, quality public and private schools, low taxes, access to entertainment venues and other things which enhance quality of life.

How do you get those things?

Good government.

How do you get good government?

The people have to elect it.

Hell, I can teach a chimpanzee to offer tax incentives.....that's no challenge at all. The real challenge is good government creating an environment where people want to work and play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Texas paid 40 million dollars toToyota to kick 4000 hard working people in California out of their jobs, pull them away from their kids schools, their aging parents, their friends and their families. It's business, I know. So it is alright.

Quote:
California(-3,000) + Kentucky (-1,000)+Texas(4,000)= 0 net gain (USA)
Okay.

Just wait 20 years until Toyota moves across the border to Mexico....

Mircea

Old 04-29-2014, 01:26 PM

2,523 posts, read 2,202,057 times
Quote:
No. Michigan and Texas have almost nothing in common.

Michigan = union friendly. Texas = not union friendly.
Michigan = higher crime. Texas = lower crime
Michigan = few Hispanics. Texas = more Hispanics
Michigan = income tax Texas = no income tax
Michigan's largest city declining in population. All Texas cities growing in population
Michigan unemployment rate = 9%, Texas = 5.5%
Michigan state/local tax burden = 9.6%, Texas = 7.5%
Michigan per capita income = $45,981, Texas = $49,392
America isn't union friendly
Texas has a higher crime rate
Texas makes up for it in sales and property tax
Michigan's unemployment rate is 7.5%
Give Michigan some oil and see how it looks.
Our governor has been trying to steal jobs from other countries instead of states though.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
The on-line article refers to it as Toyota Motors Engineering & Manufacturing.

Just wait 20 years until Toyota moves across the border to Mexico....

Mircea
Why not now while Mexico is still cheaper?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:30 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
Why did Texas get this instead of Alabama or Tennessee or Mississippi?

Maybe the overall quality of life Toyota wanted for its employees. Maybe the local labor pool is more skilled.

It wasn't the weather.

Just guessing.
So, then, it's fair to say that "if you lower it (taxes), they will come" is not some kind of universal truth? I never believed that it was. Texas just does a better job at subsidizing employers than CA does, simple. to be honest, I'd rather there was a federal program that would do this, to poach jobs away from China. So, why are we arguing about shifting jobs (let's not kid ourselves, no jobs are being created) when we should be taking jobs away from China? This is how a high cost country, like Germany, is able to have such a large manufacturing sector relative to population, while having some of the best workers' benefits in the world. They don't do race to the bottom like we do

Old 04-29-2014, 01:31 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,917,737 times
Quote:
I always love Texans touting how low their tax rates are. They have some of the highest property taxes in the entire nation. 90% of the state doesn't, but that 90% is hours away from a major metropolitan area.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Our governor has been trying to steal jobs from other countries instead of states though.
My tax figures were for all state/local taxes, which include income, property, and sales taxes. Michigan taxes each person much more than Texas does. Since per capita income is lower, there is less money after taxes to spend on living.

For 2012, Michigan had 454.5 violent crimes per 100,000 and 7.0 murders per 100,000
For 2012, Texas had 408.6 and 4.4.

FBI — Table 5

How is Texas' crime rate higher?

Michigan doesn't have any oil.

You're right about Michigan unemployment rates. Google failed me.

But Michigan's 7.5% is much worse than Texas' 5.5% wouldn't you agree?

Your governor isn't really succeeding is he?

Old 04-29-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
I always love Texans touting how low their tax rates are. They have some of the highest property taxes in the entire nation. 90% of the state doesn't, but that 90% is hours away from a major metropolitan area.
Texas property tax RATES are higher than most parts of the country. But since the property values are generally lower, the actual $$ paid for property taxes aren't as high as some think. Just look at IL, CT, NJ, etc whose property taxes ($$) and rates (%) are higher. Add their income taxes and it just gets worse and worse.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:48 PM

Quote:
My tax figures were for all state/local taxes, which include income, property, and sales taxes. Michigan taxes each person much more than Texas does. Since per capita income is lower, there is less money after taxes to spend on living.

For 2012, Michigan had 454.5 violent crimes per 100,000 and 7.0 murders per 100,000
For 2012, Texas had 408.6 and 4.4.

FBI — Table 5

How is Texas' crime rate higher?

Michigan doesn't have any oil.

You're right about Michigan unemployment rates. Google failed me.

But Michigan's 7.5% is much worse than Texas' 5.5% wouldn't you agree?

Your governor isn't really succeeding is he?
You haven't even discuss Michigan governor. Your right though our conservative governor isn't really succeeding.

Old 04-29-2014, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
So, then, it's fair to say that "if you lower it (taxes), they will come" is not some kind of universal truth? I never believed that it was. Texas just does a better job at subsidizing employers than CA does, simple. to be honest, I'd rather there was a federal program that would do this, to poach jobs away from China. So, why are we arguing about shifting jobs (let's not kid ourselves, no jobs are being created) when we should be taking jobs away from China? This is how a high cost country, like Germany, is able to have such a large manufacturing sector relative to population, while having some of the best workers' benefits in the world. They don't do race to the bottom like we do
If you lower taxes, that is one part of the economics, correct?

A business looks at the whole picture. Labor quality, labor costs, quality of life for its labor, transportation, general regulatory climate etc.

A federal program to poach jobs from China wouldn't subsidize the jobs - that means they have to take money from taxpayers. The simpler approach is to make Chinese goods expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies