Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 08:53 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,668,894 times

Advertisements

I agree with the OP. We need to just legalize it and move on.

Debating, disagreeing and getting all concerned about this isn't going to do anything. This isn't going anywhere. Gay people aren't just going to wake up one day and go "Yeah, well, I guess we don't need marriage like everyone else."

Legal gay marriage throughout the country is going to happen at one point or another. History shows that it will. Civil rights and equality are for everyone, not just for people who are like you. If some guy likes another guy or some lady likes another lady, no heterosexual army in the world is going to change that. Trying to treat them as second class for having a minor difference is stupid.

A person's judgment of their lifestyle, which doesn't negatively affect them at all, isn't going to change anything. I'm married, straight and honestly don't really even know any openly gay people that well. It's not that I have anything against them, I just don't happen to have any close friends who are. I really am not affected by this at all, but it doesn't change the fact that it's the right thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 09:01 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi2 View Post
Seriously liberals and conservatives make a big deal about 3.4% of the population. Just let them get married so we can deal with more pressing issues than whether two dudes can marry. i'm honestly tired of hearing about it.
What about all the other types of marriages that people want?

Old 04-29-2014, 09:10 AM

3,402 posts, read 2,789,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
What about all the other types of marriages that people want?
What about them? They'll need to get hashed out one at a time, unless we come to our senses and replace legal marriage with a generic domestic partnership contract that handles and number and gender of consenting adults.

My stance is we should pick the maximally free position,and impose any limitations carefully and in a considered manner. At this point, I would tend toward a standard that strictly limits legal domestic partnership to consenting adults. Any number and gender is fine, but I would personally get rid of any provisions for marriage under 18. You can't vote, or sign a contract? You can't get married.

Other than that, I think we should think very carefully about imposing further limitation. If a good case could be made that such restriction is clearly in the public interest, then we should consider it, but removing freedom should never be taken lightly.

-NoCapo

Old 04-29-2014, 09:11 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,187,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Then why do they get to pay less taxes? https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tool.../INF17870.html

If white people were allowed to pay less taxes than black people, would you be okay with that? The discrimination here is not between straight and gay, but between married and single. In every same-sex marriage case that has been brought before the courts, the main issue has not been whether two people who love each other should be allowed to get married, but rather whether it is fair to deny gay couples the same government benefits as straight couples. Get rid of all government discrimination based on marital status and I guarantee this same-sex marriage movement will vanish.
They pay less taxes because a married couple is considered a union or marriage of two people.

Haha, you think this is all because of taxes? That is absurd. If that is the case, then the only reason heterosexual couples marry is because of taxes, and I don't recall taking my wife's hand in marriage because I wanted a lower tax rate.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:12 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgamibi2 View Post
Seriously liberals and conservatives make a big deal about 3.4% of the population. Just let them get married so we can deal with more pressing issues than whether two dudes can marry. i'm honestly tired of hearing about it.

I say contract law is sufficient. Power of attorney has benefits.

Marriage in it's original form before government got involved was performed by a preacher, pastor, or constable. All men of the cloth.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
I prefer we remove government from marriage. Do you really need its approval for your relationships?
Relationships? Really? Is that all marriage is about?

You see, this is why discussions on this topic are mostly useless with some people, because people like you think all marriage is about is cohabitation and personal relationships.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

Marriage in it's original form before government got involved was performed by a preacher, pastor, or constable. All men of the cloth.
You leave out that marriage between a man and a woman, raising their children together, transcends all religions, societies, governments, cultures and continents.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:20 AM

2,821 posts, read 2,112,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No thank you, I prefer my legally binding contract with my wife that is honored in every state.
To what end? What would be your concern if your marriage was not honored in every state? Does that alter the quality of the relationship between you and your spouse?

Old 04-29-2014, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post

I think it should be, but currently there are benefits to marriage that are impossible to replicate in contract law. It is a unique legal entity at this time. the solution is either to extend the benefits in a non discriminatory way, or to rework what a legal marriage means so that it can be handled strictly with contract law.

If we did that then marriage would be relegated to men of the cloth ( or whatever equivalent you wish). Homosexuals could be married by clergy that are willing, us atheists could be married by someone important to us, we could all handle the ceremonial, traditional, and religious side of our marriage in the way we see fit, and the legal nuts and bolts would be the same regardless of whether we have a Baptist marriage, a handfasting, a nikkah (Islamic marriage contract), or just simply make vow to our partner in front of our family and friends.

-NoCapo

Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erratikmind View Post
To what end? What would be your concern if your marriage was not honored in every state? Does that alter the quality of the relationship between you and your spouse?
It alters the legal status of his marriage. You don't even need a legal mariage to have a lifetime commitment to them. If you want to be consulted on their medical conditions, want to be buried with them, want to receive survivors benefits and pensions, or want to jointly adopt children, then it matters.

-NoCapo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies