Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 03:52 PM

8,346 posts, read 7,041,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The benefits you speak are all there, because government controls marriage, under contract law. Not the church under an oath to your god.
Only government says I need a piece of paper(contract) to be married.
My God doesn't say I need one.

Government needs to get the hell out of the marriage business. Not even more involved, than they already are.
Which, as I said earlier, is a lofty ideal, up there with the finding unicorns and hunting down that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow.

As it stands, government is firmly entrenched in marriage. And nothing will ever change that. Therefore, logically, marriage rights need to extend to all unions between consenting adults.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:55 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
They pay less taxes because a married couple is considered a union or marriage of two people.

Haha, you think this is all because of taxes? That is absurd. If that is the case, then the only reason heterosexual couples marry is because of taxes, and I don't recall taking my wife's hand in marriage because I wanted a lower tax rate.
Different strokes. Marriage to me (and a growing number of my peers) is nothing more than a piece of paper that establishes a legal framework around my relationship. If that did not exist, I would feel no need to enter into a marriage. That piece of paper doesn't mean anything in ensuring a lifelong, committed relationship.

The more anti-gay marriage folks push the religious aspects of SOME marriages, the less appealing the construct is. Tax and immigration benefits are the two big essentials that make a legal civil union essential.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:39 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
As a divorce attorney, one step away from going to a homeless shelter, bring it on, quick, quick!

Old 04-30-2014, 11:44 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,350,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
As a divorce attorney, one step away from going to a homeless shelter, bring it on, quick, quick!
Lol. Light humor for the win!

Says Vegas in your location. You should stand outside the 24-hour wedding chapels and give out your card as the newlyweds come out.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:42 PM

834 posts, read 1,216,853 times
Quote:
What you just did here is called a "strawman argument." Try not to do that, it doesn't help your case.
My rep points for this and the previous post speak differently.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:54 PM

38,647 posts, read 26,363,905 times
Quote:
Yes, because then we wouldn't be living in a country of united states. My rights should be the same in every state I am in.

If you have the right to drink alcohol in your state at 18, does a state you are visiting have to put aside its drinking age of 21 while you're there?

Old 05-18-2014, 02:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If you have the right to drink alcohol in your state at 18, does a state you are visiting have to put aside its drinking age of 21 while you're there?
Actually there shouldn't be a drinking age at all, that simply encourages binge drinking with young adults when they hit their legal age. Also, marriage and drinking ages aren't the same. One allows everyone to start drinking but the age that it is allowed varies, but the other doesn't allow an entire group of people to marry, so basically you are comparing apples to oranges in order to justify your hatred of same sex marriage.

What effect on your own life does it have that same sex couples can get married?

Old 05-18-2014, 02:10 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,317,542 times
Quote:
Actually there shouldn't be a drinking age at all, that simply encourages binge drinking with young adults when they hit their legal age. Also, marriage and drinking ages aren't the same. One allows everyone to start drinking but the age that it is allowed varies, but the other doesn't allow an entire group of people to marry, so basically you are comparing apples to oranges in order to justify your hatred of same sex marriage.

What effect on your own life does it have that same sex couples can get married?
They might drive while married and cause accidents.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:

An entire group of people can't marry their own sex, and the next time I visit a dry county I'll have you buy beer for me since local laws don't apply to you.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBenNemsi View Post
The US government declared the botanically classified tomato fruit a 'vegetable'.

So is gay 'marriage': Reclassified by government decree against nature. For political reasons.
Quote:
What you just did here is called a "strawman argument." Try not to do that, it doesn't help your case.

Seems like a perfect analogy to me.

What doesn't help your case is avoiding a response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies