Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 11:04 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
I don't know - with an email, a passcode, kind of like getting on ssa.gov.

You microchip something that you do not want to loose. I know many people I'd rather see go MIA

Who asked for the five ballots to go to the same house in the first place?
If it is that one head of household she/he either knows the other folks in the house really well, or she is really pissed off they never bother to vote. Serves them right, if it's the latter - probably the only one in tune with
what's going on politically anyways I'm kidding - seriously you have to sign your name on the ballot
and it is checked with what is registered with voters registration
and it's sent in an envelope coming from
that home. That's as good as it gets, besides showing a Photo ID in person.
Funny you should say this, when one votes in person their signature is also checked with their voter registration signature (or at least the times I have voted in person this has always been the case) and a number of people in here have said that isn't sufficient enough. So why is it sufficient enough for mail in ballots, but not in person voting?

I gave you an example of how one could have several ballots going to the same household, that isn't something uncommon. Also, you might think it "serves them right" for not filling out their own ballots, but it is still considered voter fraud and just as serious as stealing someone's identity and voting in person, yet you just brushed it off like it was no big deal. This is another serious issue I have with people who want in person voters to show a photo ID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 11:05 PM

Quote:
One in the same. I was responding to the notion that board of elections are on top of things
in regards to voter fraud and/or ABUSE. They aren't. That is why photo ID's are a good idea
for all sides since it is a reasonable request.
Photo IDs wouldn't have prevented voter fraud in Florida, which I am pretty sure happened on the ballot counting side after the votes had already been cast.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:41 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
So why is it sufficient enough for mail in ballots, but not in person voting?

yet you just brushed it off like it was no big deal. This is another serious issue I have with people who want in person voters to show a photo ID.
I said i was kidding

The fact that the ballot goes to a residence after being requested from the voter
either by phone, online, in writing, or in person is a barrier to fraud. Much more than just showing up at a voting booth on voting day, with long lines and such and scurried through.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
I said i was kidding

The fact that the ballot goes to a residence after being requested from the voter
either by phone, online, in writing, or in person is a barrier to fraud. Much more than just showing up at a voting booth on voting day, with long lines and such and scurried through.
A barrier that doesn't require any ID to be shown, yet somehow voting in person gets the most attention even though almost all cases of voter fraud don't happen with in person voting.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:51 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,404,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
But what voter ID does is make it so disinterested folks can't vote. You have to put forth the effort as an individual to qualify yourself to vote by getting a valid ID and showing up with it at the polling place. This means the organizations like Acorn can't register thousands of disinterested people as Democrats and then cart them to a voting location. Online voting would also require interest and initiative on the part of the individual to personally sign up for it and create an account, so the same liberals who squawk about voter ID now would also complain about online voting. Wouldn't matter that if you didn't own a computer you could still go to the library and vote if you were interested in doing so, they'd still whine about it being racist.
Nope. That premise is unconstitutional.

There are no conditions that have to be qualified for a citizen to vote. Any pre-condition you put is levying an unnecessary burden on voters. The 24th Amendment includes literacy tests that were used to disenfranchise blacks and poor voters that were uneducated. Unconstitutional.

Are we moving back in time, Republicans?

Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
and hooray for the poor oppressed Dead-Americans who wish to vote Democrat against their wishes!
They prefer to be called "living impaired" Americans you lifeist bigot!

Old 04-30-2014, 12:30 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Curious why these federal judges are ignoring Crawford v. Marion County when making decisions on Voter ID.
What would lead you to imagine that they are ignoring that case? They aren''t. The actual facts of the case were different, especially in that the Indiana law did not actually have a requirement for photo ID. It allowed voters to have their ballots counted merely by attesting to their citizenship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel
These same arguments were presented there and SCOTUS decided in favor of Voter ID.
Different laws, different details, different outcomes. There's no real mystery here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel
Perhaps the articles aren't complete because generally case law settles an argument and federal judges do not tend to overrule SCOTUS.
SCOTUS also, in the effort to avoid unintended consequences, tens to rule very narrowly. This is what they did in Crawford. The recent spate of VOter ID losses are are careful to address issues beyond the narrow scope of the Crawford ruling.

Old 04-30-2014, 12:33 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,075,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
There aren't any Republicans hoping to suppress the vote. That's simply liberal myth. "Tell a lie often enough and eventually people will believe it"
Then why have Republicans admitted that their objective is to suppress the vote?

Republicans Admit Voter ID Laws Are Aimed at Democratic Voters - The Daily Beast

Pennsylvania GOP Chief Admits Voter ID Laws Suppressed Democratic Vote In 2012 - The National Memo

Former Florida GOP leaders say voter suppression was reason... | www.palmbeachpost.com

Old 04-30-2014, 12:49 PM

It is the dirty truth Republicans voters don't want to admit to themselves.

Old 04-30-2014, 03:05 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,119,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Nope. That premise is unconstitutional.

There are no conditions that have to be qualified for a citizen to vote. Any pre-condition you put is levying an unnecessary burden on voters.

Sure there is; you have to be a citizen. So how does one prove they are a citizen?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies