Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 07:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,643,017 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Which is exactly what African Americans do (slavery).
Not sure I get your point. Do you have a point?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,163,259 times
Quote:
You idiots cant even address the question. This is what scares me, when something like this gets asked you are brainwashed to stick your head in the sand.
Not that I consider myself to be an idiot but I believe I answered your question as well as several like-minded questions in this thread. Would you like to comment on any of my responses?

Old 05-01-2014, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebrator View Post
Not just white men. Showing contempt for all white people is en vogue. But you're right, denigrating the white man is especially en vogue. Just look at quite a few commercials and films these days in which white men are portrayed as stupid, "racist", unfashionable, nebbishy, nerdy, backwards, and so on, and that white people should sit back and endure the most scathing criticism of their people and their ways.

After all, maybe it's deserved. Let us look at all the evil the white man has brought on this world:

> democracy
> the airplane
> the automobile
> written languages, and sometimes putting other peoples' language into written form for them
> modern air conditioning
> modern plumbing
> the laser
> various medicines and other forms of healthcare, which tripled the lifespans of some other people
> programs like the National School Lunch Act, which so many non-whites depend upon
> environmentalist groups, many of which have little no non-white on board
> the refrigerator
> the telephone
> the computer transistor
> and too many things to mention here.

What's ironic is that with all the dislike (and hatred) for white people, non-whites keep pouring into white countries. Disliking someone and following him around--interesting.
I know that Black people, to point out one group, have invented a number of things that are under-reported if at all. A simple Google search for Black inventors - or inventors of any minority group - will bring them up if you're interested. (Here's a freebie: Charles Drew and Mark Dean.) I'm sure that many American people of color would have played a more pivotal role in those inventions that you list if they were allowed to be on an fair and equal legal and economic footing before and during the time those creations came about.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:36 AM

790 posts, read 1,268,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I know that Black people, to point out one group, have invented a number of things that are under-reported if at all. A simple Google search for Black inventors - or inventors of any minority group - will bring them up if you're interested. (Here's a freebie: Charles Drew and Mark Dean.) I'm sure that many American people of color would have played a more pivotal role in those inventions that you list if they were allowed to be on an fair and equal legal and economic footing before and during the time those creations came about.

But who was Africa? They have been on "equal" footing the whole time in parts of Africa but still live in huts? How can you explain that. Wouldnt you expect cultures in Africa to be on the same scale at least in terms of inventions if you are going to spew that agrument? Are you saying that 'blacks' need the white man and white culture as a crutch to invent things? What are you actually saying? LOL

Old 05-01-2014, 07:42 AM

13,447 posts, read 15,473,271 times
Quote:
Which is exactly what African Americans do (slavery). Hypocrite much? lol Most of you can't even follow your own advice. I have never worked off the backs of anyone, but its sad when I get called racist remarks in public and no one bats an eye, but if I did the same thing to a "minority group" I would be thrown in prison for "hate crimes".
I'm not African American, as much of my family history isn't from the United States. And, much of what black people feel isn't about slavery but of things that are going on in the present that affect them. I have not heard anyone bring slavery up. Truth is, just like you, blacks want to be judged as individuals. You do make a point, though, people should judge by your actions not by your ancestry. This really applies to everyone.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
But who was Africa? They have been on "equal" footing the whole time in parts of Africa but still live in huts? How can you explain that. Wouldnt you expect cultures in Africa to be on the same scale at least in terms of inventions if you are going to spew that agrument? Are you saying that 'blacks' need the white man and white culture as a crutch to invent things? What are you actually saying? LOL
We're talking about African-Americans. What did you find during my suggested Google search for Black American inventors? Any thoughts about Charles Drew or Mark Dean?

How/why many African countries are underachieiving is another subject altogether. You wouldn't want to derail your own thread, would you?

Old 05-01-2014, 08:29 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Written languages? No, I don't think so. There are many cultures that had written language prior to white contact. The Mayans, Indian peoples, Asian peoples, the egyptians... Also the Mayans came up with a number of inventions prior to white contact.
Duh! I know this.

Quote:

Also, forget about what your people came up with. What have YOU as an individual done? Hiding behind people is easy,bro..
How am I hiding? People GENERALIZE when giving criticism to whites as a WHOLE--the gifted ones and the ordinary ones, the good and the bad--so I am generalizing in turn.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:30 AM

821 posts, read 1,100,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I have not and NEVER WILL discredit the accomplishments of other people, nor have I ever said that there aren't likeable and admirable people of other races.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:32 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,825,582 times
"Death to political correctness...and we would all be better off." me

Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 AM

459 posts, read 484,754 times
Man, I can't believe these comments are made with a straight face. If you don't believe in privilege, etc... would you drop your kid off (forever) to be raised in a poor black, Hispanics, Hmong, [etc..] community and expect them to do just as well as if you had raised them? If not, why do you blame the kids who grow up uneducated and angry and relatively impoverished from those backgrounds?Why do you believe it is unfair to use affirmative action to rectify past wrongs?

Without much, much more drastic affirmative action and redistribution of wealth, all you have are perpetual cycles of inequality that the majority pretends just magically appeared. No, they appeared and persist for very real reasons, though it appears that many posters have made thinly veiled Bell Curve arguments (i.e. white people are just naturally superior to most other racial groups). And it doesn't matter whether or not you are personally responsible, what DOES matter is that you are now at a great advantage though no choice of your own. There are whole slices of society that you don't have to compete with economically because they were "taken out" of the running before they were 14 or 16.

Black families (per household) have never had more than 6% of the average assets of white families (per household). "Never" is the key word, because it shows how intergenerational the issues are; yes, the effects of segregation and slavery have never disappeared. By pretending we have a colorblind society, all we do is perpetuate and enforce the lingering effects of discrimination.

Finally, the idea that straight, white men have it rough is just total BS. You have it better than any other category of humans at any point in recorded history, excepting perhaps the last 50 years if you were ALSO a straight, white male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies