Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 10:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times

Advertisements

This is a very informational article that explains the method of IV execution, the drugs used, and the effects of these drugs.

Using drugs for executions: What really happened in Ohio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 10:51 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
As for the 1 in 25 study, I have never heard of it, nor do I believe it.
More than 300 death row inmates have been exonerated through post conviction DNA evidence. Regardless of what the percentages or the totals are one is too many. I can support the death penalty if the state can tell me that 100% of convictions are correct but they can't do that.

The Innocence Project - Know the Cases

Old 04-30-2014, 10:53 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katygirl68 View Post
I'm not okay with the suffering, just not going to cry into my milk over it once I heard his victim was buried alive. I have been against the death penalty for a while, favoring life without parole. However, I recently watched a documentary about the suffering of these lifers and the people around them. Many spend most of their time in solitary because with nothing to lose, they are far too prone to injuring or killing their cellmates and prison guards. Of course not all of them, but quite a few. So now I'm back in favor of the death penalty, but really only for the most heinous crimes where guilt is not even a question.

What needs to happen is a firing squad where all but one of the guns is loaded with blanks so no one is quite sure which person fired the killing shot. I imagine it's horrible standing there waiting for the shot, but far quicker and less painful than sitting on a cold gurney in a glass-windowed room while others watch you die. To me, death by firing squad is probably the easiest death. Let's face it, there are some evil people who just deserve to be taken out of this world.

In case you don't know (seems you don't), the death penalty is supposed to be a really bad thing.

Notice they don't call it the banana split in Maui penalty.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:57 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,815,033 times
Using anesthetic drugs for executions in America, may lead to a real shortage of anesthetic drugs for the purpose of administering anesthesia!

Quote:
The threat of a shortage exists because most propofol used in the United States, about 85%, is sold by Fresenius Kabi through its pharmaceuticals division, APP Pharma. The company manufacturers it in Europe and ships it here. The problem is the European Union prohibits European manufacturers from exporting certain drugs used for capital punishment.
Read more at Critically important anesthetic faces drug shortage if used in a Missouri execution

Old 04-30-2014, 11:04 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Why? 18 states have abolished the dead penalty and 4 death sentence states haven't executed anyone since 1977. Texas leads the way in executions but isn't any safer than other states.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/imag...ies-draft3.jpg
These 15 counties accounted for 30% of the executions in the U.S. since 1976. They represent less than 1% of the total number of counties in the country, and less than 1% of the total number of counties in states with the death penalty.
If not just to serve as a deterrent, justice for the family, or to keep the innocent of society more safe, how about to use the funds. The revenue required to feed, clothe, house, and appeal these convicted murderers could be used for things that would be more of a benefit to our society.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:15 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
The game changer in terms of lethal injection is the fact that many US States can't get the drugs they need anymore following EU and other countries issuing a boycott due to their disapproval of capital punishment. Which means the best and most effective drugs aren't always available, and to use experimental cocktails and hope for the best is just not good enough, and if anything hands ammunition to those who oppose the death penalty.

Whilst I am not a supporter of the death penalty, if it is to be carried out, it should be quick, humane and effective, and this wasn't the case in Oklahoma and hasn't been the case in several other such executions using various cocktails of drugs to get around the international ban.

As for your link, even if hanging does go wrong you are not going to be alive 40 minutes later, and a good hangman can dispatch a person in seconds, and takes weight, height and other calculations in to consideration. The same is true of firing squads, they rarely leave a person alive and are very quick and effective.
well, I suppose you have found the perfect solution then. Shrug
I on the other hand prefer to read a little bit more before making that conclusion. I provided sources and links, but you'd rather hold on to your own belief. At this point, we just have to agree to disagree.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:20 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Funny how so many pro-capital punishment people are both anti-Islam but are pro-Sharia law when it comes to justice.

Not accusing KUchief25 of anything (I don't know his position on Islam) but I've heard both "hang 'em RIGHT NOW and/or let the families kick the stool" and "kill the Muslim infidels" coming out of the same mouths enough times to see a pattern.

If course the difference is why the death penalty is imposed (did you seriously not realize that?).

In Islamic nations, the death penalty is imposed for sexual infidelity, free speech, homosexuality, free exercise of religion, pissing off your husband, renouncing Islam, etc.

And while in America some states will execute you for burying someone alive, they won't execute you for cheating on your wife with the pool boy, renouncing your faith and telling the world what you really think.

As for the tool who buried a living breathing soul while still alive, while we might do things that individuals and families may forgive us for, the state still has the duty of imposing punishment appropriate for the crime committed.

I'm not sure how a nation that prohibits cruel and unusual punishment measures out a penalty for a crime of this nature that even comes close to being appropriate, but the death penalty, in this case, is a given.

As for the malfunction of the injection apparatus, if it had to happen to someone, why the **** not this *******?

Old 04-30-2014, 11:21 AM

171 posts, read 327,010 times
Oklahoma Governor giving speech today at 1:00 pm....

Old 04-30-2014, 11:40 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't get it. The state should have showed people how cruel he was by doing the same to him. {shrug}

But you think it's good to get your kicks out of watching him suffer?
Reading comprehension is crucial. I said the state should have put the guy out of his misery, unlike what this guy did for his own victim. I don't think anyone should suffer unduly. They watched him thrash about for 45 minutes before he ultimately died of a heart attack. Instead of halting the execution, they should have administered a higher dose of the drug, and if that was impossible, someone should have pulled out their pistol and put a bullet through the head like any humane person would do for a lame dog or horse that was suffering.

Old 04-30-2014, 11:46 AM

21,474 posts, read 10,575,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
In case you don't know (seems you don't), the death penalty is supposed to be a really bad thing.

Notice they don't call it the banana split in Maui penalty.
I don't think it needs to be gruesome or cause suffering. The suffering already happened for years waiting on death row. At the least the murderers get a chance to repent, something their victims may not get. I don't really like the death penalty, but I'm not going to actively fight it in cases where the crime is particularly gruesome and guilt is not in question. As far as I know, this guy fits the bill. I would never want people put to death that were convicted by eye witness testimony or circumstantial evidence alone. No matter how sure a victim is that they will never forget a face, it has happened all too often that DNA evidence later proves the person was not the rapist or killer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies