Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 06:00 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,361,490 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
If this has anything to do with the scum who helped bury a poor young woman alive,
45 minutes of suffering was not enough for him.

He's lucky he was not executed by old sparky when she acts up.
Why not gut him with a hook then, and let him take hours of agony to die, then, spilling gallons of blood on the execution room's floor while he howls?
When did death cease to be punishment enough for the taking of another's life? Are you so savage as to need torture first?
The Taliban loves people like you. They share a similar mindset.

The guy suffered plenty for over an hour, with every vein on his body on fire. The witnesses only saw 45 minutes of it. Even 45 minutes was more than enough time to hang the poor slob 3 or 4 times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 06:02 PM

125 posts, read 143,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That does seem pretty reasonable. And when you consider that many of them may have been innocent of the crime they were executed for but guilty of something else, it looks even better.
one is too many. You're honestly okay with a single INNOCENT person being executed by the state? In what world is that okay?

Old 05-01-2014, 06:06 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,228,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I was referring to this.

It's still a small number, probably no more than 56 people in the last several decades.

More Than 4% of Death Row Inmates May Be Innocent | Science/AAAS | News
There will always be collateral damage in a society like ours. Sacrifices are made in order to secure the freedom of the innocent majority (war for example).

Old 05-01-2014, 06:20 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,669,981 times
The OK gov has indefinitely postponed the execution of the other guy who was scheduled the same night. You know...the guy who raped and killed an 11 month old baby. I was kinda hoping he would go out the same way as Lockett. He'll probably spend the next 50 years on death row, never being made to pay for his hideous crime.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:21 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha hughes View Post
one is too many. You're honestly okay with a single INNOCENT person being executed by the state? In what world is that okay?
I am. Its the ratio that matters to me. I believe our current estimate is 1 in 20 are innocent. As such, I believe that a death penalty should require a different standard of guilt. Not beyond reasonable doubt, but rather....beyond doubt.

I want 1 in 100, or 200.

And we must do it humanely, not like the monstrous acts we are condemning. We shouldn't stare into that abyss of evil and let it define us.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:22 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha hughes View Post
The Innocence Project has demonstrated beyond any reasonable doubt that we routinely sentence the innocent to death. Unfortunately the only ones they could fix were those with reasonable DNA evidence. For thouse where DNA evidence is not available one would expect the innocent rate is probably similar.

As to why we wish a gentle death the Constitution does ban cruel punishment. Fact of life. So you cause great pain you are in violation of the Constitution.

I have no philosophical problem with the death penalty but I strongly oppose it on the basis that we do periodically execute an innocent.

As a person who has had well over 50 liter sized infusions over the last couple of years I would think the task can be done with a lot less than a 1% failure rate. Establishing an IV has a failure rate of well over 1% but once established they are pretty reliable. The problem is they are being done by the wrong people as the right people won't do it.

I would suggest the time has come to simply do away with the custom. Lock them up for life. Save money and mitigate bad executions.

And as my cardiologist observed in passing even point blank shots to the brain fail to kill in a significant percent of the time. Bullets and skulls do strange things on rare occasion.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:24 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,800,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I am. Its the ratio that matters to me. I believe our current estimate is 1 in 20 are innocent. As such, I believe that a death penalty should require a different standard of guilt. Not beyond reasonable doubt, but rather....beyond doubt.

I want 1 in 100, or 200.

And we must do it humanely, not like the monstrous acts we are condemning. We shouldn't stare into that abyss of evil and let it define us.
Still too high. Got to reduce it to virtually zero.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:28 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
You get convicted by a jury of your peers.........bite the bullet. Or noose...........or injection...........whatever. Go die. You lost your right to live in society and society shouldn't pay for you to continue to live on IMO.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:36 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,792,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
There will always be collateral damage in a society like ours. Sacrifices are made in order to secure the freedom of the innocent majority (war for example).
That's easy to say as long as you aren't the sacrifice.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:39 PM

2,440 posts, read 3,431,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
About 4% of the time they execute the wrong guy. No big deal, I guess, unless it happens to be you or somebody in your family. And that begs the question: If you're the wrong guy, why in the heck are you letting yourself get convicted in the first place?
Of course no sane person would enjoy witnessing the death of an innocent family member. But to say that I wouldn't want to see the killer of my loved one get dead is disrespectful to my family and loved one, while we pay for the murderer to go relax and learn from "better" criminals in pens that amount to being at Club Med. By this we coddle evil people while homeless families are starving on the streets in wealthy big cities. And execution in itself, goes wrong as crime increases, because of human imperfection and our flawed justice system. To advocate that it is cruel is like saying that because some doctors are inefficient or even incompetent, we should ban medicine? Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies