Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 09:04 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times

Advertisements

Obama, and of course by his direction, the highest ranks of his administration, turned their backs on the death in action of a two star general serving in Afghanistan by skipping his burial in Arlington Cemetery.

We are told that the President of the United States was on vacation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2014, 09:18 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
I disagree that POTUS or the VP should have attended.

It would have been a media circus and detracted from the solemn event.

The SecDef should have but we dont know what the wishes of the family were.

I understand that Nixon attended the last one but those were different times.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:35 AM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
I disagree that POTUS or the VP should have attended.

It would have been a media circus and detracted from the solemn event.

The SecDef should have but we dont know what the wishes of the family were.

I understand that Nixon attended the last one but those were different times.
If he cared more about his duty as CiC, and less about photo ops, he could have attended without telling the media. Or he could have told the media and set up something like a pool for reporters and photographers that would limit the number and preserve access to their work - such as they do (or did) for military operations.

I don't give him a pass for this, any more than for minimizing the import of a US ambassador's murder.

He could be the man he told us he was in 2008, but he is not, and that choice is one he made - no one else is responsible for his behavior, same as for the rest of us.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:44 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
I think he should have attended. It was Arlington for crying out loud. It wouldn't have taken up that much of his time. The Secretary of Defense was there.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:47 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,718,914 times
It was a private memorial service. So should the President have interjected himself in a private matter? Has the family complained about the President or VP not attending...The only ones complaining are the right wing media.

Maj. Gen. Harold J. Greene laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery - Baltimore Sun

Old 08-19-2014, 10:01 AM

25,619 posts, read 36,707,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post
If he cared more about his duty as CiC, and less about photo ops, he could have attended without telling the media. Or he could have told the media and set up something like a pool for reporters and photographers that would limit the number and preserve access to their work - such as they do (or did) for military operations.

I don't give him a pass for this, any more than for minimizing the import of a US ambassador's murder.

He could be the man he told us he was in 2008, but he is not, and that choice is one he made - no one else is responsible for his behavior, same as for the rest of us.
I am not giving him a pass, i.e. all my thousands of previous posts.

He was just not needed at this funeral.

Last edited by Bulldogdad; 08-19-2014 at 10:10 AM..

Old 08-19-2014, 10:37 AM

2,479 posts, read 2,214,660 times
Default Commander in Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by borregokid View Post
It was a private memorial service. So should the President have interjected himself in a private matter? Has the family complained about the President or VP not attending...The only ones complaining are the right wing media.

Maj. Gen. Harold J. Greene laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery - Baltimore Sun
The general was given a military burial appropriate to his rank without the attendance of his Commander in Chief, the President of the United States.

Old 08-19-2014, 04:45 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,371,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prosopis View Post

Well, if he did that, then this thread would still exist because he did it with no press attention. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
Nice phony outrage flame job.

Old 08-19-2014, 05:18 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,333,807 times
Hagel was there - Maj. Gen. Harold Greene receives full burial honors at Arlington - Stripes

Old 08-19-2014, 08:57 PM

1,152 posts, read 1,278,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Well, if he did that, then this thread would still exist because he did it with no press attention. Damned if he does, damned if he doesn't.
Granted, the IF's often don't work out well for a politician in either case. If it doesn't matter what one does - still get criticism either way - then shouldn't a person do what is right rather than what is easy? If a President is interested in doing his duty as CinC, whether there is a camera present or not should be of no importance. Doesn't matter to me if it was Bush, Reagan, Clinton, or Obama - attending military funerals is important for the CinC for a lot of reasons.

Nothing phony about it, but keep trying with the smears, you may hit a real one by accident.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies