Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:09 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Wow image if this were the other way around.

Inb4 dats rayciss!!!

Subway removes pork from stores after 'strong demand' from Muslims | Mail Online
Yeah - imagine if there was a Subway that didn't offer Halal meat...

Oh, wait - there are. We call them... most Subway locations (including the one down the road from me).

And why are most Subway locations like that? Because they don't have enough of a demand for Halal products to make it cost-effective to serve them. Similarly, Subways in certain locations may find it cost-effective to change their menus. Your strawman notwithstanding, I've never heard anyone complain that my local non-Halal Subway is racist.

I wonder, are you whining and sniveling when McDonald's offers Friday specials on their Filet-o-Fish sandwiches all during Lent? (rhetorical question - we all know full well that you're too hypocritical to actually be consistent in your complaints)

PS - Do you do anything other than post about how oppressed you think whites and Christians and men and straights are?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:15 PM

836 posts, read 1,661,436 times
Think I'll invent a religion where it's okay to be flaming Ahole to people and no one can complain cuz it's my right.

Old 05-02-2014, 01:55 PM

326 posts, read 471,009 times
seems like basic business economics.. It allows them to sell their product to a wider customer base hence, more money is being made. its common sense really. you don't even need a business degree for this.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:37 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Besides, I'm able to see beyond the extremists and acknowledge that most Muslims are good people. Just as I don't judge all American Christians based on the Phelps clan, or all black people by the gangbangers.
there is a big difference right? do the phelps clan or gangbangers control entire countries? i don't want to be a meanie to all the good muslims out there, but you are kidding yourself if you think its simply a matter of the "few" bad ones and people are wrongly taking it out on the majority which are good.

Old 05-02-2014, 03:29 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
there is a big difference right? do the phelps clan or gangbangers control entire countries? i don't want to be a meanie to all the good muslims out there, but you are kidding yourself if you think its simply a matter of the "few" bad ones and people are wrongly taking it out on the majority which are good.
But the majority ARE good & decent people. There are millions of Muslims in the world - aren't they like the second-most populous group? So yes, it is unfair to judge the whole religion/culture by the bad ones. Even in Muslim-ruled nations, the leaders don't represent the majority of their people.

And if you don't think extremist Christians/Catholics rule any countries (past or present), you are very naive. We also have countries ruled by extremists from other religions & cultures, like Cuba - but I don't often hear anyone judging all Cubans by their leaders' actions.

Last edited by gizmo980; 05-02-2014 at 03:45 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notoriouskelly View Post
Think I'll invent a religion where it's okay to be flaming Ahole to people and no one can complain cuz it's my right.
They already exist, and Christians are among them - i.e. refusing to serve gays or provide employees with certain medical benefits, because it's against their religion. In reality, you can say that about most of the world's major religions (even my own).

Of course, that has little to do with this specific issue, since I don't think any Muslims demanded this of Subway (nor are they acting like a-holes here). If I decided on my own volition to open a vegetarian restaurant in a hipster neighborhood, does that mean I'm being an a-hole to meat eaters? If I opened a bike shop in that same hood, am I being rude to car drivers?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:49 PM

P.S. Serving Halal meats isn't a bad thing even for us non-Muslims... it is a much cleaner, safer, and more humane way to prepare meats, and you wouldn't even know if you weren't told. The only noticeable difference is the lack of pork, but I've been to lots of non-Halal/kosher restaurants where they had no pork on the menu. Are you all going to die without pig meat?

What is Halal Meat?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:59 PM

15,860 posts, read 21,427,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
Religion in impoverished countries often leads to power plays. The educated in Iran, for instance, might be devoutly Muslim but also horrified with what has happened to their country in the past 40 years. I know many Iranian-Americans (now in either the 1st or 2nd generation born here) who visit Iran on a regular basis to visit family who strive for a secular society. Religion is an effective mechanism to control - and while it is most obvious in Islam, it is not exclusive.

For instance, there are Orthodox Jewish communities in NYC and Israel that engage in practices that, if given no further information, many would see as being more typical of Islam. I know that Beit Shemesh and isolated groups in NYC aren't representative of all Jews but if your only access to information about Jews came from news about men beating women on the street for wearing pants or not allowing women to sit in the front of the bus, you would have a very tainted view of my faith. Ex: Ultra-Orthodox protesters shatter bus windows after female passenger refuses to sit in back - National Israel News | Haaretz

Look at Uganda. Uganda is a Christian nation that has been heavily propped up by evangelicals in the US. These American Christians (which, by the way, in no way represent the majority of American Christians) sponsored a bill in 2009 that would make homosexuals in Uganda face the death penalty. It was only international opinion that held it back through the threat of withdrawing aid. Their current policies have gone so far that the World Bank has postponed a large loan within the past few months.

The Democratic Republic of Congo is upwards of 90% Christian and has experienced some of the worst violence the world has ever seen in a series of civil wars ending in 2003 (but the violence did not "end" until 2007). It is considered the rape capital of the world. Children, most notably children with albinism, who are accused of practicing witchcraft are killed by marauding Christian mobs.

In the Rwandan genocide of 1994, the majority Christian country's churches have been accused of sanctioning the violence between ethnic groups. More than 800,000 died in 100 days.

Is Uganda representative of Christianity? Is DR Congo? Or Rwanda? Of course not. But as Christianity's influence fades in the West, it is expected (and is currently) to grow in Africa and part of Asia. We're likely to see an increase in violence from these Christian countries under the banner of Christianity for the same socio-political reasons we see violence in Muslim countries.

Old 05-02-2014, 07:26 PM

4,236 posts, read 8,136,274 times
Subway is where you go when you just need calories to make a turd. The food is so tasteless and bland that they need to go after every nickel and dime. It's one step below a Darden resturant

Old 05-02-2014, 08:06 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,730,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post

For instance, there are Orthodox Jewish communities in NYC and Israel that engage in practices that, if given no further information, many would see as being more typical of Islam. I know that Beit Shemesh and isolated groups in NYC .....
fyi
Beit Shemesh is a place in Israel and not a group.

The groups in NYC are not isolated even if they try to put up an eruv. In upstate NY the only real isolated area is Kiryat Joel because the Satmar made it so. But if you look up Monsey in NYS there are Kosher shops mere blocks from non Kosher shops. The same goes for Borough Park and Williamsburg in Brooklyn which have high concentrations of Orthodox Jews, you're not going to find a non-kosher store for a few blocks. But if you go to Brighton Beach, the Russian Jews for the most part don't keep kosher and their shops are filled with pork products. But none of these neighborhoods have a Subway food shop. It seems for Jews, chain food corporations tend to do a better in-depth demographic study.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies