Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:51 PM

29,094 posts, read 25,996,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I don't think he's fit to serve either - primarily because he's been dead for years.
He would make an ideal Democrat voter!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Didn't Republicans elect a KKK Grand Wizard named David Duke as a state legislator in 1990 and then nearly nominate him to be the Republican candidate for US Senate?
David Duke ran for office several times as a Democrat.

Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM

2,003 posts, read 1,544,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Why wasn't Robert Byrd ever pushed out by the progressive and tolerant Democrat party for his membership in the KKK. Or did his views evolve?

In the 40s, Senator Byrd said

I will concede that in 2005 he said

An apology, but I'm not sure he is fit to serve office because of his past affiliations (sort of like CEOs of web browsers).

Maybe Democrats can explain this? Thanks!
It's very simple. Former white supremacists, such as Robert Byrd, are welcome. Those who openly practice white supremacy today, such as the Fox News hosts, are not.

Really, this is a stupid question.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:02 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeBeard View Post
Sen Robert Byrd definitely brought the pork back to West Virginia. I think his name is nearly everywhere there. Answering the OP, Byrd's KKK past was well known as was Justice Black, a supreme court justice. However, Sen. Byrd unlike many unreconstructed racists from that era came to terms with his past and sought to make some amens by supporting a more liberal agenda. I am not an expert on his voting record and he definitely had his faults.
Yep follow the money trail. West Virginia receives a lot more Federal money than they pay out.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
It's very simple. Former white supremacists, such as Robert Byrd, are welcome.
Yes, we are well aware that dead people are welcome in the Democratic Party.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:08 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,230,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadoken View Post
It's very simple. Former white supremacists, such as Robert Byrd, are welcome. Those who openly practice white supremacy today, such as the Fox News hosts, are not.

Really, this is a stupid question.

There was no "former white supremacist" about that racist old man.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:10 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grsz11 View Post
Why hasn't the Republican Party today pushed out intolerance and hate? Both are silly questions. One man does not the party make.

You say that as if Donald Sterling is a Republican.

Old 05-29-2014, 09:12 PM

1,825 posts, read 1,418,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I'm not from West Virginia and never voted for the old clown(nor did I ever really care for the now deceased senator)..why is this my problem again?
Because it is to show that all democrats are bad people and klansmen and African Americans only vote democratic because "plantation" and "welfare"

I think that sums up the Republican argument here.

Old 05-30-2014, 04:00 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egbert View Post
Because it is to show that all democrats are bad people and klansmen and African Americans only vote democratic because "plantation" and "welfare"

I think that sums up the Republican argument here.
Hows things working out on that? Blacks being adversely affected by these bad economic times?

Old 05-30-2014, 04:31 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,352,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Conservatives like to trot out ol' Byrd due to the FACT that they welcomed segregationists to the GOP who fled the Democratic Party (consider Strom Thurmond). Remember, Reagan started out in politics opposing open housing and went on to object to the Civil Rights Act, the Voting Rights Act and sanctions against the South African apartheid regime. Yet, conservatives believe he was Mr. Civil Rights.

Hugo Black was in the Klan, too, but Brown v. Board of Education sure was a unanimous decision, huh?
You can't get away with these revisionist (polite word for lie) memes. Of 13 Democratic segregationist Senators, exactly one (Strom Thurmond) "fled the Democratic party." The others all remained lifelong Democrats, including Robert Byrd.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ationists.html

Ronald Reagan was never a racist, contrary to all your innuendo. Don't take my word for it--take it from longtime liberal journalist Mark Shields.
//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...literated.html

The meme about Reagan and apartheid is a disgusting cheap shot and low blow that has been often debunked. By this time, whenever it is repeated, it says far more about the repeater than anything else.
The Truth About Ronald Reagan and South Africa - Michael Reagan - Page full

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike Reagan
Ronald Reagan did not kiss up to South Africa’s leaders, he was in their face.
One of his first moves was to send his close aide William Clark to tell Prime Minister Pieter Botha to his face how much my father abhorred apartheid.
Later my father appointed the first black ambassador to South Africa, Edward Perkins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies