Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 11:14 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
No, they do not face the blatant discrimination...loans, housing, etc. But if you are not aware of the perception of some people in this country of Jews than I am not the one to enlighten you.
I'm saying that the perception that some people have doesn't translate into discrimination against them.

I don't give a damn if someone doesn't like me. I'm pretty sure that Jews who fare well in this society - and the vast majority of them do - don't really care either.

I do give a damn if that dislike translates into discrimination and causes definite and measurable problems in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Let's see. I can think of a few privileges you (assuming you are a white woman) have over a woman of color. Have you ever:

-worried about your first name on your resume, as it could alert your potential employer to your race prior to meeting you? - How is this white privilege because your parents gave you a stupid made up name?

-worried about your hairstyle promoting an image of "black pride," which could be offensive to a potential employer? - Define "Black Pride". Also, show me all the court cases that someone was offended by a hairstyle.

-worried that if you speak up in public others will wonder who the angry black woman they saw today was? - Some black women are angry and probably justifiably so, I've talked to many black women and never thought "she's angry". Don't come off as a pompous ******* and you won't be judged like one.

-worried that others questioned your qualifications for X university or your job at X due to affirmative action? - That is a legit question. Anyway once you graduate from X university and are already in job X what do you care what a bunch of crackers think? You made it!

-worried your daughter or son won't have a positive role model of your race on TV which they could emulate? - TV is supposed to be filled "positive" role models? Give me a break, there a thousands upon thousands of strong role models of race out there. If you can't find any it's willful ignorance. Why does someone else have to show you a role model?

-worried that people would question your American "authenticity" or citizenship when winning a pageant or election? - Yeah, this one happens all the time to all black/hispanic women. Sheesh, talk about a reach.

-worried that people would have fear of your religion or discriminate against you because you wear a hijab? - Most go out of there way to be inclusive, how many working women wear the hijab? The most hate towards religion that I ever see is towards Christians. Welcome to the real world.

-witnessed a retail associate follow you in a store? - This does not happen as much as you imagine it does.

-worried that people would label you a welfare queen for driving a luxury vehicle? - So what, I'm judged a lot of ways every day. You get some extra pass cause your worried?

-worried your race would be used against you when applying for a loan? - Like all those loans black and hispanic people were turned down for before the housing boom? Yeah right.

Just some food for thought.
How about this food for thought. Quit worrying so much about **** that hardly happens. You heard it happened once so that means you should walk around worried it's gonna happen to you? Why so concerned with how other people think? Can you change a racist? No, then why worry what they think. Not one of those statements up there shows any thought about the person themselves. It's foisting your worry onto someone else because they don't look like you. Sounds a lot like racism to me.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:15 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,508,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toryturner View Post
And here ladies and gentlemen is exactly the attitude that the man in the Princeton Tory is addressing.
Race, gender, sexual orientation. The trifecta of 'privilege.' There are others, but none approach the white, male, heterosexual combo. Haven't you kept up with 'structural discrimination,' 'patriarchy,' 'institutional racism,' 'micro-aggressions,' etc.

Take a look at a response to the original column for the gist of "What 'check your privilege' really means" ---

What "check your privilege" really means - The Daily Princetonian

Old 05-01-2014, 11:18 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
I wouldn't expect any of the right wingers to address these quesitons.

Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
What a bunch of bs excuse making. If people put half as much time into improving themselves, making good decisions, and working hard, they could stop being perpetual victims.
My husband grew up dirt poor and was the first person in his family to graduate from college. Anyone can become successful if they choose to put in the work.

Just to be clear, my questions were not black vs. white, as you conveniently butchered the hijab question (Islam is a religion practiced by women of multiple racial and ethnic backgrounds). I said women of color. Color means non-white, not black-only. Women of non-white races all suffer some sort of societal disadvantage in this country compared to white women. The pageant reference was actually a blantant reference to our Indian-American Miss America.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Does white privilege apply to Asians?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
How about this food for thought. Quit worrying so much about **** that hardly happens. You heard it happened once so that means you should walk around worried it's gonna happen to you? Why so concerned with how other people think? Can you change a racist? No, then why worry what they think. Not one of those statements up there shows any thought about the person themselves. It's foisting your worry onto someone else because they don't look like you. Sounds a lot like racism to me.
Yup, "get over it!!!"

Holocaust victims should get over it too, right?

This is a prime example of white privilege. Whites are allowed to be ignorant and defensive about this topic. Look at this finger pointing. I simply asked thought provoking questions and I'm already called a racist. I never once mentioned race in any question.

Defensiveness. Deflection. Fear. Cowardice. Xenophobia.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:20 AM

11,768 posts, read 10,264,758 times
Quote:
You succeeded in deflecting every question with defensiveness, willful ignorance, finger pointing, and strawman arguments.

Good job.

Question 1... why is a traditional African name "strange" to you and a potential employer?

(Hint... what is the topic of this thread)

Your summary is a massive strawman. This thread has nothing to do with your personal narrative or your feel good boot-strap generalizations.
It doesn't sound American. If my mom had her way my name would be "Kiryl Nikita xxxxx". It might sound cool, but good luck getting a job with a foreign name. Ya know, when in Rome and all.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Does white privilege apply to Asians?
No! It is called white privilege for a reason.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM

So, when I lived in Portland, OR this was a major news story.

Among the 50 Oregon high schools with at least 25 African American students in 2009-2010, only seven had any African American students enrolled in calculus and none had more than five black students take the course.

And the reason for so few black kids in AP Math courses, was because of my white privilege?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It doesn't sound American. If my mom had her way my name would be "Kiryl Nikita xxxxx". It might sound cool, but good luck getting a job with a foreign name. Ya know, when in Rome and all.
What is an American name?

Enlighten me. Continue to prove my point.

If my name is Mohammed and I am a natural-born United States citizen, how can my name be "foreign?"

Please please PLEASE enlighten us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies