Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-01-2014, 11:23 AM

24,645 posts, read 38,655,954 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
You are now being dishonest. You know damn good and well what those posts meant, and you want to sit there and pretend that they didn't mean what you know they mean. Vaulted over millions of Americans to the White Man's Club, as an example, does not say to you, "they had it easy"? Seriously? Give me a break.
I'm saying that when the family of the writer mentioned in the OP came to this country from Eastern Europe, where they were persecuted terribly, that persecution by and large ceased to be a factor for them in the United States.

Nobody was denying them the right to vote, barring them from certain occupations, trades and civil service, prohibiting them from owning property or businesses - or having said property seized from them arbitrarily and without compensation - incarcerating them for trivial or no reason, hanging them from trees for looking at white women, enforcing de facto societal and legal apartheid, denying them equal education, forcing them to live in the worst urban and rural conditions simply because they were legally deemed inferior.

Why? Solely because they were from Europe and considered white in America.

Do you care to dispute any of the above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 11:24 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Yup, "get over it!!!"

Holocaust victims should get over it too, right?

This is a prime example of white privilege. Whites are allowed to be ignorant and defensive about this topic. Look at this finger pointing. I simply asked thought provoking questions and I'm already called a racist. I never once mentioned race in any question.

Defensiveness. Deflection. Fear. Cowardice. Xenophobia.
Holocaust? What? Who mentioned that? What does that have to do with my answering your questions. You calling me ignorant and defensive sounds...well ignorant and defensive.

You never mentioned race? Are you retarded? What is this entire thread about? Popcorn?

Good grief.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:25 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,406,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
So, when I lived in Portland, OR this was a major news story.

Among the 50 Oregon high schools with at least 25 African American students in 2009-2010, only seven had any African American students enrolled in calculus and none had more than five black students take the course.

And the reason for so few black kids in AP Math courses, was because of my white privilege?
Would you like some wood for your strawman?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplcr0331 View Post
Holocaust? What? Who mentioned that? What does that have to do with my answering your questions. You calling me ignorant and defensive sounds...well ignorant and defensive.

You never mentioned race? Are you retarded? What is this entire thread about? Popcorn?

Good grief.
Feel free to point out which question alludes to a personal belief that one race is inherently superior to another (the actual definition of racism).

I gave you cut and dry questions that point to situations that a woman of color experiences that a white woman doesn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
What a bunch of bs excuse making. If people put half as much time into improving themselves, making good decisions, and working hard, they could stop being perpetual victims.
My husband grew up dirt poor and was the first person in his family to graduate from college. Anyone can become successful if they choose to put in the work.
I don't really need to say anything else. The fact that you deemed what might be considered "ethnic" names to be "strange" confirms your myopia, your bias and, yes, your white privilege.

1,245 posts, read 923,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
What have I told you about reading the Blaze, you are wasting your time with that trash.

Also, how do white males live in southwest Virginia and rural Oregon? Cause the ones I know do good taking care of their families and running their farms.

If you bothered to go to the article, you would of found this link in the article Checking My Privilege: Character as the Basis of Privilege | The Princeton Tory

Just because some conspiracy website picked up the story, it doesn't mean it's not credible. It's foolishness to completely dismiss the information because the mainstream media told you to.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:28 AM

1,989 posts, read 2,536,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
What is an American name?

Enlighten me. Continue to prove my point.

If my name is Mohammed and I am a natural-born United States citizen, how can my name be "foreign?"

Please please PLEASE enlighten us.
Can there be a white person named Mohammed? Yes, of course. So...it's not the color or miinority status it's the name. It sounds scary to some people (right or wrong) so I will grant you that having Mohammed on a resume by bring a flag. What do you think is the best way to fix it? Other than telling white people who have no say in hiring anyone, ever, it's about white privilege?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
I don't really need to say anything else. The fact that you deemed what might be considered "ethnic" names to be "strange" confirms your myopia, your bias and, yes, your white privilege.
Exactly!

White Privilege on perfect display here.

People should stop being so willfully ignorant.

My work here is done.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:29 AM

3,216 posts, read 2,231,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Race, gender, sexual orientation. The trifecta of 'privilege.' There are others, but none approach the white, male, heterosexual combo. Haven't you kept up with 'structural discrimination,' 'patriarchy,' 'institutional racism,' 'micro-aggressions,' etc.

Take a look at a response to the original column for the gist of "What 'check your privilege' really means" ---

What "check your privilege" really means - The Daily Princetonian
Thank you for the link. I would guess that most all of us agree that there is "structural discrimination" It was on full display when some of my relatives walked off the boat with our red hair and catholic religion. But I also think that some people are legitimately offended when they are told to "check their priviledge."

Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
It doesn't sound American. If my mom had her way my name would be "Kiryl Nikita xxxxx". It might sound cool, but good luck getting a job with a foreign name. Ya know, when in Rome and all.
Every name not of Native origin on this continent is foreign.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies