Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 03:08 PM

24,461 posts, read 17,207,356 times

Advertisements

I just heard on NPR that the lyrics to the state song of Kentucky, "My Old Kentucky Home" has been changed so as not to offend anyone. The new version was sung at yesterdays Kentucky Derby. The song is actually a slavery protest song and in it was a line that read "where the darkies are gay" gay meaning happy. Now people are supposed to sing "where the people are gay"....
Are black people really that offended with the old time 150 year old word "darkie" ??
Since the song is a protest song against slavery I think by changing the word it kind of fuzzes over the pain and suffering that was endured by black people in the days of slavery.
I feel it is important to remember history the way it is. I wonder what kids read today when Huck Finn and his escaped slave friend Jim go rafting down the Missisip?
That guy Sterling might as well be Hitler but so far we still talk about Hitler. Just the other night I watched a show about WW2 and it touched on a concentration camp and there were the poor souls dead and dieing and stacked up like "cord wood" I wonder how Jewish people view this. I know one that doesn't but why should the rest of us? Slavery can be compared to the Holocaust. Hitler used slave labor.
I wonder why some Historical references are OK while others are not. Are black people really that upset about the word darkie when it is sung?
I think it is important that people do not forget the past and the struggle that their ancestors had and lived through. My wife is Irish and her ancestors were abused just as much as black people and she still is some days.
Would you have changed the song lyric?

Old 05-04-2014, 03:20 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,332,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
I just heard on NPR that the lyrics to the state song of Kentucky, "My Old Kentucky Home" has been changed so as not to offend anyone. The new version was sung at yesterdays Kentucky Derby. The song is actually a slavery protest song and in it was a line that read "where the darkies are gay" gay meaning happy. Now people are supposed to sing "where the people are gay"....
Are black people really that offended with the old time 150 year old word "darkie" ??
Since the song is a protest song against slavery I think by changing the word it kind of fuzzes over the pain and suffering that was endured by black people in the days of slavery.
I feel it is important to remember history the way it is. I wonder what kids read today when Huck Finn and his escaped slave friend Jim go rafting down the Missisip?
That guy Sterling might as well be Hitler but so far we still talk about Hitler. Just the other night I watched a show about WW2 and it touched on a concentration camp and there were the poor souls dead and dieing and stacked up like "cord wood" I wonder how Jewish people view this. I know one that doesn't but why should the rest of us? Slavery can be compared to the Holocaust. Hitler used slave labor.
I wonder why some Historical references are OK while others are not. Are black people really that upset about the word darkie when it is sung?
I think it is important that people do not forget the past and the struggle that their ancestors had and lived through. My wife is Irish and her ancestors were abused just as much as black people and she still is some days.
Would you have changed the song lyric?
Oh, good grief NO.

Something else ruined by a few.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:22 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
It makes sense to remove a racist word from a state song.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:27 PM

As long a the "N" word is common in rap....a little tradition hurts no one.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:27 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Ooooooo - Goody
A new 'outrage' for the Leftists to protest about.
Kentucky must give up their State Song or it proves they are all (gasp!) Racists.

At what point will the American Public grow totally weary with the Leftist Outrage of the Day?

Old 05-04-2014, 03:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,165,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
Ooooooo - Goody
A new 'outrage' for the Leftists to protest about.
Kentucky must give up their State Song or it proves they are all (gasp!) Racists.

At what point will the American Public grow totally weary with the Leftist Outrage of the Day?
It sounds like they already changed the song, so the only protesting you will see will be from right wingers who think it is okay to have racists words in a State Song.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:37 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,459,683 times
Quote:
That "new version" is almost 30 years old... and if it's debatable if it's a protest song or a nostalgic song.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Old_Kentucky_Home

Old 05-04-2014, 03:41 PM

17,441 posts, read 9,262,756 times
Quote:
I did a quick search - turns out that the song lyrics (attributed to Foster) were "changed" in 1986 after a Japanese delegation visited and sang My Old Kentucky Home as a tribute to Kentucky.

Quote:
Representative Carl Hines (Democrat-Louisville), the only black member of the House, was quoted as saying that the lyrics of the rendition "convey connotations of racial descrimination that are not acceptable." Within the week, he sponsored a bill which the House passed, House resolution 159, which officiated the modern lyrics with the line, 'Tis summer, the people are gay." Hines substantiated the bill, citing that the original lyrics were offensive, owing no respect toward African-Americans.
To answer your question ..... YES, clearly Black people are offended

The Kentucky Derby continued to use the Original version of My Old Kentucky Home as their theme song until this year - it's a lot easier to change one word in a song that people have been singing since it was written in 1852 than to be either Boycotted or Sued.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
That "new version" is almost 30 years old... and if it's debatable if it's a protest song or a nostalgic song.

My Old Kentucky Home - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am glad to hear that.

Thanks for the post.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:02 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It makes sense to remove a racist word from a state song.
Oh, please! "Darkie" is now a racist term? Why isn't "black" a racist term?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.