Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 08:31 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,340,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Has anyone noticed the corporate chaining of america and the decrease in mom and pops? Makes you wonder how many start ups never happen thanks to guv meddling with wages and regs. The corporate cronies love such laws though.
I would think a lot never happen.....and many never make it past two years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,559 times
This will be interesting to say the least

Old 05-01-2014, 08:51 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Oh yes, this tired meme. Why not raise minimum wage to a billion dollars and hour so we all can be billionaires. Seriously, why comment if you have nothing serious to say?
Nice deflection. If $10 is a good idea, then $20 is a better idea, etc. Seriously, why not? Why not make the minimum wage high enough so that we can all live quite comfortably.

Old 05-01-2014, 08:52 PM

3,009 posts, read 3,642,528 times
I am never going to tip if it passes do see the need to .

I willing to bet rent will go up if $15 an hour is the min wage.

Why cant people get that since the wages have been the same for a long time now. Yet the price of goods have gone up along with rent , gas and so on. What do you think is going to happen to the price of goods if $15 is the new min wage. I can tell you this much the price of goods is never going to go down that is for sure.

That just means my rent is going to go up a few hundred bucks that i do not have well time to get a 2nd job. How am I going to pay rent and go to college now. I do not make that much money $19.40 an hour is noting to live in the city.

I have had conversations with a lot of small business owners and they say there not going to hire anymore people or close there business down . Some are going to just fire everyone and do the work themselves.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:05 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,176,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Nice deflection. If $10 is a good idea, then $20 is a better idea, etc. Seriously, why not? Why not make the minimum wage high enough so that we can all live quite comfortably.
Not a deflection, the "why not $100?" is a strawman argument. It isn't even a realistic statement, how many people in the US make $100/hr? One could argue that $20/hr makes sense, that I will believe, but not $100.

I think for a federal, $10/hr makes sense, and then let states and cities decide if they need to go higher than that. Seattle wanting to raise theirs to $15 and then tie it to inflation makes a lot of sense.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:11 PM

2,817 posts, read 3,461,258 times
How about having a maximum pay for people who don't finish high school. 10.00 max. That will motivate some to finish. If you have a BA, you can have a minimum pay of 15.00. Of course it will depend I the job. But should we incentivize people to at least finish school, and continue to higher education.

Old 05-01-2014, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krieger00 View Post
I am never going to tip if it passes do see the need to .

I willing to bet rent will go up if $15 an hour is the min wage.

Why cant people get that since the wages have been the same for a long time now. Yet the price of goods have gone up along with rent , gas and so on. What do you think is going to happen to the price of goods if $15 is the new min wage. I can tell you this much the price of goods is never going to go down that is for sure.

That just means my rent is going to go up a few hundred bucks that i do not have well time to get a 2nd job. How am I going to pay rent and go to college now. I do not make that much money $19.40 an hour is noting to live in the city.

I have had conversations with a lot of small business owners and they say there not going to hire anymore people or close there business down . Some are going to just fire everyone and do the work themselves.
Rents aren't tied to minimum wage.

Old 05-05-2014, 04:40 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Seattle's $15 minimum wage might be coming to a city near you:

Unions are back with city-by-city wage campaign | Local News | The Seattle Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle Times
Not long after finishing a news conference on a deal to bring a $15 minimum wage to Seattle, David Rolf, president of the local home health-care workers’ union, SEIU 775, got a heady phone call.
It was the office of “a certain big-city mayor from a certain big city on the East Coast,” Rolf said. (He wouldn’t tell me which one, but what else could it be but New York?) The message: As soon as you’re done in Seattle, get on a plane and get out here to explain to us how you did this.
“There’s going to be an escalation in this at a national level, very soon,” says Rolf
The article explains that while unions have lost ground in the private sector, this offers an alternative way for them to advance their cause. Economists have long pointed out that the minimum wage tends to benefit union workers. Low skill, low wage workers can be priced out of the labor market, and replaced by high-skill, high wage union workers.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:04 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,358,834 times
Here's another article about it. The writer was on the mayor's committee on the min. wage, and was a speechwriter for Pres. Bill Clinton.

The United Cities of America: What Seattle's Minimum-Wage Deal Means - Eric Liu - The Atlantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantic
it portends the acceleration of two trends in public policy today: a growing willingness to reckon with radical inequality and wage stagnation, and the emergence of networked localism as a strategy for political action.
This echoes the theme from the Seattle Times piece.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Here's another article about it. The writer was on the mayor's committee on the min. wage, and was a speechwriter for Pres. Bill Clinton.

The United Cities of America: What Seattle's Minimum-Wage Deal Means - Eric Liu - The Atlantic

This echoes the theme from the Seattle Times piece.
Great articles on this topic, it seems like we might finally see a move forward for working Americans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies