Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 11:39 PM

7,846 posts, read 6,368,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessgeek View Post
While I am generally left of center, I do think the President should have the line item veto. This had been a policy in the past, but do not believe it is the law today. It is a policy generally supported by conservatives, but I support it too. With our federal deficits, this policy needs to be enacted again.
Hmmm... I don't like that. That would just be another excuse for Congress to not do their job.

The Federal Deficit is massively overhyped. Our priority should be growth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 11:44 PM

34,258 posts, read 19,218,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
Hmmm... I don't like that. That would just be another excuse for Congress to not do their job.

Actually I think the courts found it unconstitutional after a conservative lawsuit.

Im a huge fan of it myself though.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:56 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,149,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Congress does not always do a good job, though (understatement). In any event, it was ruled unconstitutional so I won't debate it much further. I learn something new on city data almost every week. I'll agree growth should trump the deficit as a goal. It would be nice if we could be successful regarding both, though. However, we can both probably agree that not invading Iraq would have saved more $$$ (not to mention the loss of thousands of lives) than a thousand line item vetos!

Old 05-02-2014, 11:57 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Their is waste and fraud, find it and eliminate it.
You know that is one of the naive things the right pushes.

In fact the effort spent to eliminate waste and fraud can easily exceed the money saved.

So one needs to judiciously deal with waste and fraud.

One could of course build a government where it is practically impossible for waste or fraud to exist. But the cost of that effort is of course waste...if there is no more waste to capture than all money spent on the subject is in fact wasted.

So one needs carefully thought out waste and fraud control...so that waste and fraud control don't become waste.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:00 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,961,152 times
There have been some Republican wins, for sure. I've listed a few - interstate highway system, ending the cold war, welfare reform, etc. However, I think there is a bigger problem with this thread. The idea of conservative politics is to not have government be the answer to things but to get out of the way. Have we had Republican Presidents that were conservative progressives? Yes, but the ideology of conservatives is not one to use government as a tool to create new 'things' in this country but one to protect the rights we have, to allow the free market to flourish, and to maintain a balance where the powers of the central government is limited but still provide for absolute necessities at the Federal level (e.g defense).

Ultimately, I ask myself when I do well as a small business owner - under a Republican administration or a Democrat one? Generally, the Republicans have been better for small businesses, which I think is the key to a thriving economy in this country. This is not an absolute but rarely are there absolutes in life.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
There have been some Republican wins, for sure. I've listed a few - interstate highway system, ending the cold war, welfare reform, etc. However, I think there is a bigger problem with this thread. The idea of conservative politics is to not have government be the answer to things but to get out of the way. Have we had Republican Presidents that were conservative progressives? Yes, but the ideology of conservatives is not one to use government as a tool to create new 'things' in this country but one to protect the rights we have, to allow the free market to flourish, and to maintain a balance where the powers of the central government is limited but still provide for absolute necessities at the Federal level (e.g defense).
Actually Republicans during the Eisenhower to Reagan years are further left than the Obama and Clinton Administrations. That is how ludicrous our right-wing has become. I wouldn't call those Republicans "right-wing" by any stretch of the imagination. Those were years governed by moderation.

Quote:
Ultimately, I ask myself when I do well as a small business owner - under a Republican administration or a Democrat one? Generally, the Republicans have been better for small businesses, which I think is the key to a thriving economy in this country. This is not an absolute but rarely are there absolutes in life.
Business is but one aspect. "Pro-business" simply means less taxes and less regulations. Great for business owners; bad for the rest of the country.

Our "deficit problems" were 100% artificially created by Republican tax cuts on the upper echelon of income earners. Those tax cuts starve the country and make the deficit and debt worse.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:13 AM

34,258 posts, read 19,218,282 times
Quote:

Welfare reform...passed under Bill Clinton.

Interstate highway system....We have a winner! Along with Social security, and creating NASA. ....only problem is most of the posters here from the conservative side find Eisenhower actions to be bad and deny them as a Conservative measure. But you are 100% correct, this was a Republican president.

ending of the cold war-wasnt a policy, it had FAR more to do with Russia then us.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Interstate highway system....We have a winner! Along with Social security, and creating NASA. ....only problem is most of the posters here from the conservative side find Eisenhower actions to be bad and deny them as a Conservative measure. But you are 100% correct, this was a Republican president.

ending of the cold war-wasnt a policy, it had FAR more to do with Russia then us.
Eisenhower Republicans are about as liberal as Barack Obama.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:17 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,718,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
How is objecting to a open border and supporting a border fence a bad thing?
It is pretty well a useless gesture. Half or so of the illegals don't cross the border - and even less lately. Any system that relies on border control will in the end lose. You need internal controls and a sufficiently low illegal population that they can be run down and deported. That probably says you have little chance of gaining control until the illegal count is below a million. And then you may need controls that we don't presently have. But at least you have to be in a position to run down and dispose of each person who legally enters the country.

Quote:
How is objecting to failed schools and supporting charter schools and school vouchers a bad thing
Private schools paid with public money will simply may the public schools worse.

Quote:
How is objecting to wasteful, expensive scam that is "green energy" and supporting Domestic Oil and Gas production, creating millions of jobs and trillions in wealth a bad thing?
Actually it is natural gas that is killing coal. And that is probably a good thing. Over time solar works out - a question of when not if.

Quote:
How is objecting to bank bailouts, and support a free market a bad thing?
I believe it is widely agreed that allowing the collapse of Leyhman Brothers was a disastrous move. Probaby made the entire collapse much worse than it would have been with a rescue. The system really did get close to collapsing which would have created a disaster.

Quote:
How is objection to give up american sovereignty to the United Nation and supporting american sovereignty by wanting to leave the United Nations a bad thing
Right Wing Idiocy. No one on left or right is trying to give up sovereignty to the UN.

Quote:
How is objecting to political correctness and supporting common sense, basic observation, and reason a bad thing?
There is a line of regulation that is required to function safely. Idiots of both conservative and progressive views sometimes go to far. So we fix those as they occur.

Quote:
How is objecting to high taxes and excessive regulations and supporting a fair tax and capping regulations that aids the expansion of business a bad thing?
There is a fine line. Regulation is needed. Excessive Regulation needs to be pared back. Sufficient taxes to meet the need of the society are required. Taxes in excess need to be pared back. All we need is the wisdom to find the right line.

Quote:
How is objection to laws that infringed on the right to keep and bear arms, and support laws that aid and support people to defend themselves a bad thing?
The USSC has made it clear that the right to bear arms is basic. It has also made it clear that the right can be regulated. So we now get to find the right line again.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:21 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,961,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post

Welfare reform was a distinctly Republican effort that was signed by Democrat President. Always thought it was a great example of compromise. Seems compromise of that type no longer exists. We've lost the Blue Dog Democrats and the standard conservative Republican is finding it equally hard to get elected. Everyone acts like we'll never get back to 'normal' but I think we will. These types of swings happen - it's a cyclical thing as history has shown us (remember the McCarthy era - egad that was bad).

Oh, I forgot about NASA. I am actually in favor of NASA even though I know a lot of conservatives are not. I think space, being a genuine new area of exploration is worth it to spend Federal dollars on but I know a lot of my fellow party members disagree. Of course, I'm a bit of a science geek so that may be another reason why.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies