Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2014, 08:06 AM

1,070 posts, read 739,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Ding ding, we have a winner.

Edited to add: The right has one other function: To claim credit for popular leftwing policies and when they can't, to invent reasons why popular leftwing programs are bad.

Very true.

This is a funny tidbit I got in my mail the other day:

A Revolution Without Gunfire

Dear Red States:

We’re ticked off at your Neanderthal attitudes and politics and we’ve decided we’re leaving.

We in California intend to form our own country and we’re taking the other Blue States with us.

In case you aren’t aware that includes New York, Hawaii, Oregon, Washington, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois and the rest of the Northeast.

We believe the split will be beneficial to the nation and especially to the people of the new country of The Enlightened States of America (E.S.A).

To sum up briefly:

You get Texas, Oklahoma and all the slave states.

We get stem cell research and the best beaches.

We get Andrew Cuomo and Elizabeth Warren. You get Bobby Jindal and Todd Akin.

We get the Statue of Liberty. You get Opryland.

We get Intel and Microsoft. You get WorldCom.

We get Harvard. You get Ole’ Miss.

We get 85 percent of America’s venture capital and entrepreneurs.

You get Alabama.

We get two-thirds of the tax revenue. You get to make the red states pay their fair share.

Since our aggregate divorce rate is 22 percent lower than the Christian Coalition’s, we get a bunch of happy families. You get a bunch of single moms.

With the Blue States in hand, we will have firm control of 80% of the country’s fresh water, more than 90% of the pineapple and lettuce, 92% of the nation’s fresh fruit, 95% of the best restaurants, 95% of America’s quality wines (we’ll give you Franzia in a box to serve at state dinners), 90% of all cheese, 90 percent of the high tech industry, most of the US low sulfur coal, all living redwoods, sequoias and condors, all the Ivy and Seven Sister schools plus Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Cal Tech and MIT.

With the Red States you will have to cope with 88% of all obese Americans and their projected health care costs, 92% of all US mosquitoes, nearly 100% of the tornadoes, 90% of the hurricanes, 99% of all Southern Baptists, virtually 100% of all televangelists, Rush Limbaugh, Bob Jones University, Clemson, and the University of Georgia.

We get Hollywood and Yosemite, thank you.

38% of those in the Red states believe Jonah was actually swallowed by a whale, 62% believe life is sacred unless we’re discussing the death penalty or gun laws, 44% say that evolution is only a theory, 53% that Saddam was involved in 9/11, and 61% of you crazy bastards believe you are people with higher morals then we lefties.

Sincerely,

Citizens of the Enlightened States of America
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 09:10 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Hehe, I showed you maps based on stats, maps that allow to visualize the data, and you still fail to understand the issue. Pretty sad. Try once more: the most conservative, red voting, low taxing states are also the poorest: Alabama, Mississippi and West Virginia. The most liberal, high taxing and traditionally blue voting states are the richest in the nation: see New Jersey or Connecticut. This is how conservative and progressive ideas work in reality. Case closed.
I showed you actual stats from voting. You showed maps. I win.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:15 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I showed you actual stats from voting. You showed maps. I win.
Repeating a nonsensical claim like this doesn't actually make your claim any less nonsensical. The format of the data doesn't have anything to do with prevailing in an argument, and the fact that twice you've posted such a childish exhortation says more to discredit your argument than the evidence that the maps Rapaport posted to substantiate his perspective.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Nonpayers By State, 2010 | Tax Foundation

California alone has more than 6 million non paying tax citizens (this is excluding the illegals as well obviously).
That's more than most southern states combined.

Anyone can play the numbers game.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:47 AM

But not everybody can play it well. Notably, California has more tax paying citizens than most southern states and pays more in federal taxes than it receives from the federal government in subsidies which can't be said about most southern states:

This is from your libertarian friends :

The Red/Blue Paradox - Reason.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Nonpayers By State, 2010 | Tax Foundation

California alone has more than 6 million non paying tax citizens (this is excluding the illegals as well obviously).
That's more than most southern states combined.

Anyone can play the numbers game.

Old 05-08-2014, 09:59 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Repeating a nonsensical claim like this doesn't actually make your claim any less nonsensical. The format of the data doesn't have anything to do with prevailing in an argument, and the fact that twice you've posted such a childish exhortation says more to discredit your argument than the evidence that the maps Rapaport posted to substantiate his perspective.
No he didn't. He tried to make a correlation to "prove" Republicans get the poor vote. I can't help if he has comprehension problems of basic statistics. Voters making less than $50,000 voted Democrat - by a very wide margin. Republicans won all the other, wealthier voters. There it was in black and white. No amount of mental gymnastics will overcome that fact. Why should I waste my time on him when he can't even understand something that was so clear and so definitive?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:04 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
But not everybody can play it well. Notably, California has more tax paying citizens than most southern states and pays more in federal taxes than it receives from the federal government in subsidies which can't be said about most southern states:

This is from your libertarian friends :

You just fell into the trap I set for you.

By your reasoning, the rich pay enough in terms of taxes in this country? Yes or no? The rich pay more into taxes than the bottom 90%.

Because there are liberals out there that want to play the percentages and numbers game to make it sound good for their viewpoints.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:13 AM

But they do, the poorest states in the nation,Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia, Louisiana always vote red while the richest like New Jersey, Connecticut always vote blue.

Read this. Reason.com is a libertarian publication.

Quote:
No he didn't. He tried to make a correlation to "prove" Republicans get the poor vote. I can't help if he has comprehension problems of basic statistics. Voters making less than $50,000 voted Democrat - by a very wide margin. Republicans won all the other, wealthier voters. There it was in black and white. No amount of mental gymnastics will overcome that fact. Why should I waste my time on him when he can't even understand something that was so clear and so definitive?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
No he didn't.
Coming from you, that means nothing. You're a partisan that disagrees with him. What else would you say?

Old 05-08-2014, 10:17 AM

You're changing the subject because you're not being able to comprehend the data. Again, the richest states in the nation always vote blue while the poorest always vote red. Isn't that ironic? What's is the voting record of Alabama, Mississippi or West Virginia? You never asked yourself why those poor states invariably vote republican???? Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
You just fell into the trap I set for you.

By your reasoning, the rich pay enough in terms of taxes in this country? Yes or no? The rich pay more into taxes than the bottom 90%.

Because there are liberals out there that want to play the percentages and numbers game to make it sound good for their viewpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies