Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 08:28 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CincyIU29 View Post
This is very true. While I'm fine with Spanish being spoken and have no problem at all (I encourage) Spanish/Latin American culture to be celebrated the goal should be to end up like Quebec. Spanish should not replace English, simply coexist with it.
Uh; no. NO country with 2 or more "equal" languages lasts real long, even Belgium almost broke up. Tho Switzerland seems to be doing Ok but the Swiss "Italians" and "French" are a different animal than Italy or France IMHO.

Too: English is the MAIN language in the word; Spanish is nothing except in LatAm and Spain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 08:42 AM

800 posts, read 781,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Uh; no. NO country with 2 or more "equal" languages lasts real long, even Belgium almost broke up. Tho Switzerland seems to be doing Ok but the Swiss "Italians" and "French" are a different animal than Italy or France IMHO.

Too: English is the MAIN language in the word; Spanish is nothing except in LatAm and Spain.
English is not the main language in the world. It might be one of the more widely spoken languages but so to are French Spanish and Arabic.

It only requires a simple understanding of colonialism. Go to most of Africa and try speaking English. It will get you nowhere fast. French on the other hand and you're in business.

The divide in Belgium between the Waloons and Flemish goes far deeper than language, a fact that would be particularly evident to anyone with a cursory knowledge of European history.

Typically seperatism occurs when one group is persecuted and people try to quash the language. Which is what we risk doing here.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:50 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,442,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Your first language may be Spanish but you should make every effort to be apart of & assimilate to this country.
Easy for you to say when you're not working two jobs trying to feed your family. They didn't come here for some cutesy cultural exchange.

Their descendents will be English speakers.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:11 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Honestly the vitriol towards these people is disgusting.

Most of them come from poor areas and have no access to English education materials in their native countries. Yes immersion is good (classes should be taught in English) but it's important have a bilingual teacher for a whole number of situations that could pop up.

Fact is we don't have an official language. Why most Americans have this backwards, ignorant pattern of thought that the world should just cater to them and speak English is embarrassing. Every American should strive to know Spanish as well. Or as many languages as possible. Turn off the nascar and read a book.
I have no issue with being bi-lingual. I do have an issue with catering to illegals, or one specific group. It is not backwards to expect foreigners to learn the common language of the United States, the official language of our Government.
Only those who intend to travel need worry about learning a second language. I speak 3 but I would never impose it on others. The fact that most Americans live within 100 miles of where they were raised indicates there isn't a need to impose a second language on Americans.
Why should every American strive to lean Spanish?
I Will never travel to Mexico or South America. I have been to Spain, but have no plan to return. I did learn to speak Thai because my wife is Thai and I love Thailand.

Last edited by tinman01; 05-03-2014 at 10:23 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 10:12 AM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Easy for you to say when you're not working two jobs trying to feed your family. They didn't come here for some cutesy cultural exchange.

Their descendents will be English speakers.
And that is why before they receive a VISA they should be required to be able to communicate both orally and in writing in English.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:19 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,121,445 times
The good news is that legal and illegal immigrants flock to bastions of liberalism (ie. big urban metros), which means that liberal municipalities and school district budgets are breaking under the weight of ESL language programs, WIC, food stamps, welfare, housing subsidies, etc.

If I weren't a die-hard patriot and an advocate for extremely strict immigration controls, I'd be celebrating the fact that these liberal bastions are cratering under the weight of their own policies. That's *almost* something to celebrate as far as I'm concerned.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:30 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Default No Special Consideration

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Why should we change for people that can't speak English? The statement made is as if we should change for them. If you voluntarily immigrate here you shouldn't be hostile & expect American culture to change for you. Your first language may be Spanish but you should make every effort to be apart of & assimilate to this country.
English is our first Language of Business and Official business WITH THE federal Gov. if Spanish OR LATINO can not cope with American Educational system they have the option to go private school or home school where available!

Old 05-03-2014, 11:37 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
English is not the main language in the world. It might be one of the more widely spoken languages but so to are French Spanish and Arabic.

It only requires a simple understanding of colonialism. Go to most of Africa and try speaking English. It will get you nowhere fast. French on the other hand and you're in business.

The divide in Belgium between the Waloons and Flemish goes far deeper than language, a fact that would be particularly evident to anyone with a cursory knowledge of European history.

Typically seperatism occurs when one group is persecuted and people try to quash the language. Which is what we risk doing here.
English is the language of business and finance..global business and finance.
If they would rather speak Spanish over English then that will be their loss.

Other countries are teaching their students English while we here fight to let people NOT speak English.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:02 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:

Ok; more people speak Chinese IN China. More people speak Spanish in Spain and LatAm. OUTSIDE of those places the English is used by more people all over the world. Too; even in China, word is many of the freeway signs in in Chinese AND English, NOT Spanish, Arab or French.

Old 05-03-2014, 02:39 PM

62,938 posts, read 29,134,396 times
Quote:
Honestly the vitriol towards these people is disgusting.

Most of them come from poor areas and have no access to English education materials in their native countries. Yes immersion is good (classes should be taught in English) but it's important have a bilingual teacher for a whole number of situations that could pop up.

Fact is we don't have an official language. Why most Americans have this backwards, ignorant pattern of thought that the world should just cater to them and speak English is embarrassing. Every American should strive to know Spanish as well. Or as many languages as possible. Turn off the nascar and read a book.
First off I take offense at your reference to Nascar as it implies that one is a stupid redneck. Why should Americans be obligated to learn Spanish or any other foreign language? Afterall," immigrants" come here knowing only one language but once they are here we are obligated to learn theirs? Immigrants are supposed to adapt to our language not the other way around.

My main objection is having to teach illegal aliens in our schools. They don't even belong here. But since we are obligated to do so then it should be English immersion. We may not have an "official" language but English is our de facto national language whether you like it or not. There is no reason for us to become a bi-lingual country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies