Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2014, 09:32 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Kitzhaber having no major accomplishments this term isn't an opinion. Also, CoverOregon's failure isn't an opinion.
Anything that "blows up" on the left or otherwise makes the left look bad is an opinion. Anything that works out by fluke for the left is indisputable fact. Black is white. White is black. Up is down. Down is up. That's the way they play the game and that is the way such an illogical world-view has survived as long as it has... deception.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 AM

9,437 posts, read 7,364,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post
California will always stay liberal. It is #1 in innovation, #1 in high tech private sector job creation, and the #8 economy in the world by GDP (country standards).

Those statistics are impossible for a conservative state.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Or impossible for any state that isn't #1 in population...by far...
Bingo. California is more proof of a million monkeys banging on typewriters randomly turning out Shakespeare than it is success of liberal policies.

Old 05-03-2014, 09:47 AM
i7pXFLbhE3gq

n/a posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
Kitzhaber having no major accomplishments this term isn't an opinion. Also, CoverOregon's failure isn't an opinion.
Cover Oregon is by far the biggest noose around Kitzhaber's political neck.

If I vote for an active government that works to benefit people, I expect to get that. I do not expect 150+ million to disappear in some public/private boondoggle that never works.

As an aside, Richardson is not the best guy to run on Cover Oregon being a failure, given that he voted for it and was one of the people put in charge of crafting the state budget.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:02 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
^^^^^ This.

Again, should this be in the Oregon forum?

Really.
It probably should be in the Oregon forum where it would properly get laughed at.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:06 AM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
It probably should be in the Oregon forum where it would properly get laughed at.
$160 million dollars being flushed down the toilet is funny in Oregon?

Old 05-03-2014, 10:07 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
$160 million dollars being flushed down the toilet is funny in Oregon?
No, people thinking the GOP can win in state elections in Oregon is funny.

Old 05-03-2014, 10:25 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
No, people thinking the GOP can win in state elections in Oregon is funny.
I am not familiar with Oregon politics. However - it's happened in very recent times and, if you look above, someone who is a liberal and familiar with OR politics thinks it's within the realm of possibility. Your opinions are often full of very wishful thinking.

Still think the GOP has absolutely zero chance of taking the Senate or do you think Nate Silver is a GOP hack? Still think Democrats have a chance of taking the House this election?

Old 05-03-2014, 11:11 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
I like Merkley, but he does not have the star power of Kitzhaber, Hatfield, McCall, etc. of course, neither does Richardson. But in an off-year, the R could win. Depends entirely on what voters in the big suburban cities like Beaverton and Gresham do. They are not reliable for either party.

Moderate, environmentally minded Rs have done very well state-wide in Oregon. The religious right, not so much. The horrendous Scott Lively, who is now advising African countries to make homosexuality a capital crime, got his political start in Oregon. He tried several times to transition from religious right lobbyist, where he did have some success, to religious right electee. His failure to get any traction is widely thought to have led to his leaving Oregon.

The rest of the state *can* outvote Portland and Eugene, but there are few Rs who can pull it off.

Religious right candidates - which, I must say, Richardson is not - do win local elections. But you'd have to reconstitute Portland and the other wetside cities in order for Oregon to go red, especially the TP version of red. Ain't gonna happen in our lifetime.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:33 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I like Merkley, but he does not have the star power of Kitzhaber, Hatfield, McCall, etc. of course, neither does Richardson. But in an off-year, the R could win. Depends entirely on what voters in the big suburban cities like Beaverton and Gresham do. They are not reliable for either party.

Moderate, environmentally minded Rs have done very well state-wide in Oregon. The religious right, not so much. The horrendous Scott Lively, who is now advising African countries to make homosexuality a capital crime, got his political start in Oregon. He tried several times to transition from religious right lobbyist, where he did have some success, to religious right electee. His failure to get any traction is widely thought to have led to his leaving Oregon.

The rest of the state *can* outvote Portland and Eugene, but there are few Rs who can pull it off.

Religious right candidates - which, I must say, Richardson is not - do win local elections. But you'd have to reconstitute Portland and the other wetside cities in order for Oregon to go red, especially the TP version of red. Ain't gonna happen in our lifetime.
I just look at a lot of past elections. For example, Bush losing by like 6000 votes in 2000. Gordon Smith winning by a margin of 16% in 2002, Chris Dudley came close as well. Outright, the GOP can't win a statewide election, but when you throw in a few factors (i.e. this being a midterm election where Dems traditionally dont turn out for, the lack of enthusiasm for Kitzhaber because of CoverOregon, and the fact that the leading GOP candidates aren't religious nuts) leads me to believe these can be competitive elections.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:58 PM

1,199 posts, read 734,263 times
Wait a minute, if I am reading a lot of this discussion on this board correctly (and I could be misreading it, and correct me if I am), some here are suggesting that if a republican wins the gubernatorial race that all of a sudden, Oregon will turn red?

When CA had a Republican governor for 8 years, did it become red? It takes more than a governor to change the political landscape of a single state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies