Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2014, 07:01 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,463,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
I think you're committing a deception because you're unable to come up with a legitimate response to the message you replied to without it being clear that you're expressing a nonsensically self-serving, extreme right-wing political perspective.
Then you need to improve your thought process. I asked you what exactly you meant by economic injustice. That's not a "nonsensically self-serving extreme right-wing" anything. It was a request for clarification, not a response to what you said.
Quote:
By the way, for people - not you, because you know but are intent to denying it regardless - but for people who actually don't know what economic injustice looks like, here's a video that makes it clear.
Here's an idea - why don't you let me decide what I know instead of telling me what I know?

Generally if you're going to accuse someone of being deceptive and nonsensically self-serving, it's a good idea if the assumption they put forth wasn't actually true. It looks patently ridiculous for you do a reply like this and then post a link to a video that validates precisely what I said. It's as if I said "So are you saying 2+2=4?" and you replied "you're being self serving and deceptive, you know darn well that it equals 4".

And lastly, as I have said in a number of posts on this forum before, I am on disability. I am exactly one of the lower class disadvantaged people who is unable to work that you claim to be compassionate about. My politics do not benefit me in the slightest. I have my views not because they benefit me personally, but because my principles tell me they are best for the nation as a whole. But since my political views don't match yours, you automatically assume I'm self serving. That's called bigotry.

Last edited by kidkaos2; 05-05-2014 at 07:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 07:05 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
That's all true but it also has to do with lack of preventative care especially for the poor. It's sad that the states which need it the most have turned down the medicare expansion money which the Feds have agreed to pay entirely so it wouldn't even cost those states any money out of their own pocket. You do have to wonder what sort of pathology causes them to block health care for their own poor especially when it wouldn't directly cost them anything.

It's a classic case of cutting off your own nose to spite the other guy.
Not true. The Federal Government pays 100% of expansion costs for the first three years and 90% thereafter until 2022.

Anyone with a brain knows that there's uncertainty after 2022 (a mere 8 years away) and therefore State's should not be saddled with a federal burden, which is exactly what will happen if the political will of the people is to curtail federal spending. A short term gain for a long term loss is not a good plan.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkaos2 View Post
What exactly is "economic injustice"? That doesn't even make sense. You aren't actually calling it "injustice" that a doctor makes more money than a janitor are you?
I was wondering the same thing. The OP is a mish-mash of not-so-well-thought-out talking points, and nothing more.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Full article: Southeastern States Have Highest Rates of Preventable Deaths: MedlinePlus

What seems strange on the surface is that you cannot draw a correlation (as a reasonable person would expect you could) between poverty and high rates of preventable deaths. However, dig deeper and you realize that the other areas of the country where there are comparably high levels of poverty don't suffer from the same level of economic injustice, partially because of the state services that those other (non-southeastern) states generally provide, which apparently buffer the impact of the poverty on the health, and partially because of hoe those other (non-southeastern) states either proscribe or more generally don't exhibit the risky lifestyle choices that account for some of the high rate of preventable deaths in the southeast.
Can't legislate behavior. People will do what they want.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:14 AM
bUU bUU started this thread

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
Quote:
You can choose to see the world as black-and-white - no one can stop you from choosing such self-delusion - but the reality is that nothing in real life is ever that simple. Most everything has numerous factors that affect them, not just the one factor you decide to consider, presuming that limiting yourself to considering just that one factor safeguards some fragile political perspective you prefer.
What a crock.
The hard truth hurts when it so thoroughly repudiates perspectives you prefer. Get over it. If you're going to promote such perspectives, live with the fact that your advocacy is going to be constantly targeted for its immoral nature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
I would much prefer that we gave actual foods or only allowed certain, healthy foods like WIC does.
I've said the same thing, often. I believe all public assistance should be in-kind.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,729,580 times
Quote:
The hard truth hurts when it so thoroughly repudiates perspectives you prefer. Get over it. If you're going to promote such perspectives, live with the fact that your advocacy is going to be constantly targeted for its immoral nature.

I've said the same thing, often. I believe all public assistance should be in-kind.

You have no reply to the facts and numbers I posted. That's why you had to cut them out when you quoted my post, which I'm pretty sure is against c-d TOS.

The truth is, most family on food stamps have bigger food budgets than the people working to pay for the food stamps.

I feed people through the use of my own money and time all the time because sadly there are many families on food stamps that don't bother to feed their children. And it's not the children's fault that they were born to terrible parents. They shouldn't have to go hungry because they have poor parents.

Old 05-05-2014, 09:24 AM
bUU bUU started this thread

12,074 posts, read 10,705,895 times
Quote:
Then you need to improve your thought process.
No. My thought processes are moral. I have already outlined how the perspectives you support are immoral. Downgrading my thought processes so that they please your morally deficient preferences is not something that is needed.

Quote:
I asked you what exactly you meant by economic injustice.
First, I provided you all the answer you should need, but that's not even the main issue: You haven't given any reason to believe that your inquiry is a genuine expression of a desire to learn something from me. As such, you get the response appropriate to the scurrilously partisan claptrap you're trying to hide behind a question mark.

Quote:
That's not a "nonsensically self-serving extreme right-wing" anything.
And the question wasn't the entirety of what was labeled extreme. Stop deliberately failing to understand what is written to you. You've already exposed too much of your intelligence to hide behind a defense that you didn't understand.

Quote:
Here's an idea - why don't you let me decide what I know instead of telling me what I know?
Here's an idea - why don't you let me decide the best way to respond to a pattern of rabidly partisan exhortations? Either that or work to establish a reason to trust that you are being genuine in your efforts to learn something you don't know, and that you are indeed something other than a partisan trying to project a patently partisan perspective, something you can do by refraining from expressing partisan perspectives. If that doesn't suit you, then don't try to make it seem like you're not a partisan.

Quote:
That's called bigotry.
No, it's called not taking what others claim at face value and responding to comments supporting right-wing perspectives based on how they fit within the right-wing block of perspectives of which they are a part. If you want special treatment for your comments, prove that you have less assets than my sister. Even then, all you'd earn is a special exception that labels your perspective as serving the right-wing contingent instead of self-serving - a distinction with relatively little overall impact on the discussion. But heck, that's standard right-wing procedure: Deflect with comparatively small diversions instead of admitting the overall immoral nature of what they support.

Last edited by bUU; 05-05-2014 at 09:37 AM..

Old 05-05-2014, 09:31 AM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
It's our food. Slowly but surely, it's changing but I guarantee you can go in just about any native Southerner's home and see them eating fried foods at least once a week. I don't think it has to do with poverty so much as culture (e.g. the food).
Pre WW2 the Southeast had the highest life expectancy when the diet was based on "beans n greens".

Old 05-05-2014, 11:33 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Pre WW2 the Southeast had the highest life expectancy when the diet was based on "beans n greens".
And you're seeing a return to the farm to table type of cuisine in many of our cities down here in the South. Hopefully, that trend will catch on and spread wide throughout the South. We went through a time where being a farmer was looked down upon but now there are young people who are moving out to the country and choosing farming again. It led to a massive decline of community and wealthy in our rural areas. So, in a way, this return to eating fresh foods again could benefit more than just the South's eating habits.

Old 05-05-2014, 02:24 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
And you're seeing a return to the farm to table type of cuisine in many of our cities down here in the South. Hopefully, that trend will catch on and spread wide throughout the South. We went through a time where being a farmer was looked down upon but now there are young people who are moving out to the country and choosing farming again. It led to a massive decline of community and wealthy in our rural areas. So, in a way, this return to eating fresh foods again could benefit more than just the South's eating habits.
The farmers market here (Roanoke) has varieties of beans I've never seen before. Planted some myself this spring, hope they do well. They sprouted about a week ago.

I've read some about these young would-be farmers, most are small-scale due to the insane start up costs for land+machinery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies