Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 02:55 PM

409 posts, read 512,085 times

Advertisements

Next you’ll be profiled for keeping your eyes on the road.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 05:07 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tymberwulf View Post
No, I would have done something that caused an officer to become suspicious. Then he would have pulled me over and I would have let him search my car (wouldn't be the first time), he would have found nothing, and I would have driven away.

In her case, she didn't want her car searched because she knew she WAS BREAKING THE LAW.

See the difference?
I flagged down a cop to help me when I locked my keys in my car. Once he got the door open, he asked if he could search my car. I told him yes, I would mind, so no he cannot search it. He asked why and I said because it violates my rights. He dropped it and drove off. You know what? He wouldn't have found anything either, but that does NOT mean I would waive my rights.

You, and your ilk, who proclaim "I have nothing to hide, therefore search away! Search my car! Search my phone! Search anything you want Mr. Officer!" are on the wrong side of this issue. Since you have nothing to hide, next time you are pulled over, volunteer to a full body cavity search. You have nothing hidden up your anus, right? So then, let him do some spelunking since there's nothing wrong with an unlawful search. He'll give you a star to put on your nose for being such a good subservient citizen.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:17 PM

1,125 posts, read 1,591,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thHour View Post
I flagged down a cop to help me when I locked my keys in my car. Once he got the door open, he asked if he could search my car. I told him yes, I would mind, so no he cannot search it. He asked why and I said because it violates my rights. He dropped it and drove off. You know what? He wouldn't have found anything either, but that does NOT mean I would waive my rights.

You, and your ilk, who proclaim "I have nothing to hide, therefore search away! Search my car! Search my phone! Search anything you want Mr. Officer!" are on the wrong side of this issue. Since you have nothing to hide, next time you are pulled over, volunteer to a full body cavity search. You have nothing hidden up your anus, right? So then, let him do some spelunking since there's nothing wrong with an unlawful search. He'll give you a star to put on your nose for being such a good subservient citizen.
And you and your ilk, who proudly proclaim I will always say no to a search no matter what is why the police are so damn suspicious of everyone today. I was taught two simple things when I was younger, don't do anything wrong so you don't have to go to jail and always be polite and helpful when it comes to law enforcement.

I have dealt with the police for years, and I have been investigated by them several times due to people claiming things about me and mine, and each and every time I have allowed them to do their jobs the fastest easiest way because I knew I had done no wrong. What you are telling me to do would have only made them believe I was trying to hide something and they would have just worked that much harder to find something that I was guilty of.

My rights were never violated, I decided to WORK with the police, not against them.

You live your life the way you want, I will keep doing what I have been doing for these last 40 plus years.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:23 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,463,404 times
It was more than just 'driving posture':

“Driving stiffly, having tinted windows, slowing down when seeing law enforcement, and driving in an out-of-the-way area may be innocent conduct by themselves,” Judge Scott M. Matheson, Jr., wrote for the appellate panel. “But when taken together along with driving a vehicle with out-of-state plates in a mountainous smuggling corridor 40-45 miles away from the border, we conclude Agent Semmerling had reasonable suspicion Ms. Westhoven was involved in smuggling activity.”

Old 05-04-2014, 05:26 PM

7,358 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
And you and your ilk, who proudly proclaim I will always say no to a search no matter what is why the police are so damn suspicious of everyone today. I was taught two simple things when I was younger, don't do anything wrong so you don't have to go to jail and always be polite and helpful when it comes to law enforcement.
(bolding mine) That right there is wrong. People are going to jail left and right for filming the cops doing their jobs. Most of the time the cases get dropped, and the people sue and have a nice little payday coming to them, but that still involved being hauled to jail and now they have an arrest record. The cops shouldn't mind the filming, after all, if they aren't doing anything wrong, what do they have to fear?
Quote:
I have dealt with the police for years, and I have been investigated by them several times due to people claiming things about me and mine, and each and every time I have allowed them to do their jobs the fastest easiest way because I knew I had done no wrong. What you are telling me to do would have only made them believe I was trying to hide something and they would have just worked that much harder to find something that I was guilty of.

My rights were never violated, I decided to WORK with the police, not against them.

You live your life the way you want, I will keep doing what I have been doing for these last 40 plus years.
Just because you don't care about your rights doesn't mean others don't, and you shouldn't look down on them for upholding their rights. Denying consent to search is not interfering with them in anyway.

Old 05-04-2014, 07:11 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Someone should have taught you the Constitution.

Quote:

You do have the right to waive your rights. Some of us would simply rather not see them chipped away.

Old 05-05-2014, 05:57 AM

13,685 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
It was more than just 'driving posture':

“Driving stiffly, having tinted windows, slowing down when seeing law enforcement, and driving in an out-of-the-way area may be innocent conduct by themselves,” Judge Scott M. Matheson, Jr., wrote for the appellate panel. “But when taken together along with driving a vehicle with out-of-state plates in a mountainous smuggling corridor 40-45 miles away from the border, we conclude Agent Semmerling had reasonable suspicion Ms. Westhoven was involved in smuggling activity.”
Ah, looks like someone bothered to read the actual decision instead of relying upon a third party's interpretation!

Anyway, for you Legals Eagles, what is this defendant's next step? There is a hint in Katzpaw's quote.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:13 AM

29,483 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Damn, I better start practicing my "ghetto" lean...

Old 05-05-2014, 06:39 AM

7,492 posts, read 11,829,224 times
I'll remember that and start slouching back on the road.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:56 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,127,593 times
Quote:

I don't even know where to begin with this one.

You basically took what he/she said and try to play it to your own tune.

But I digress, just enjoy being a slave. If you want a new master I have some work I need done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies