Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 11:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,354,470 times

Advertisements

I don't understand how that follows my post about my kids and their peers. These kids work all year round on academics and college resume building. They're not lazy. My middle has been up since dawn studying both yesterday and today. She'll have a week off once school ends before starting summer classes, and then a week at the end of summer for a family vacation. Oldest has a job, but his schedule is also packed with extra academics. They have very little leisure time. I worry about them...A LOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRusa View Post
And if you look at the amount of time the kids are 'wasting' on their cell phones/internet......it would probably equal the amount of time they spend on school work.
I can't speak for other kids, but mine? No. Can't say the same for me today. I have wasted time enough on the forums. Time to get back to real life.

Last edited by randomparent; 05-04-2014 at 12:28 PM..

Old 05-04-2014, 12:57 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,668,317 times
The good thing -- for the fewer kids that do have a work ethic -- they have no trouble at all getting jobs. When a kid is willing to help bring in 600 bales of hay on a hot summer day, they'll find all kinds of offers of jobs -- word gets around.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:01 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,940,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
The record number of people on "temporary" assistance and "disability"?
Which makes sense since we have a record population.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:13 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,518,637 times
Interesting article. I'm dealing with an 18 year old who doesn't want to get a job myself. With my 16 year old employed, we're actually above average here. Who knew?

Old 05-04-2014, 01:23 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The good thing -- for the fewer kids that do have a work ethic -- they have no trouble at all getting jobs. When a kid is willing to help bring in 600 bales of hay on a hot summer day, they'll find all kinds of offers of jobs -- word gets around.
Where do you find these jobs dealing with bales of hay? Few in the cities and large metro areas.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:37 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,637,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Where do you find these jobs dealing with bales of hay? Few in the cities and large metro areas.
Chevy Truck commercials

*sings* Like a Rock

Old 05-04-2014, 01:38 PM

Last person in my family who dealt with hay bales was my grandfather, who grew up on a farm. At that time, farmers conceived and bore farmhands; they didn't hire them! My dad picked up empty milk bottles and returned them to the dairy for reuse when he was a kid. Used a wagon. Although my milk is, in fact, delivered, the distribution center is too far for a kid to manage. It's delivered by refrigerated truck in the middle of the night. Another kid job lost to the ages.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:38 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,935,866 times
Big deal. What if the kid wants to take the summer off? It's not like they NEED to make money necessarily, especially if they can depend on their parents to provide for them. I'm all for taking summer time off and having FUN.

Not sure why conservatives are so obsessed with work, money and being independent.

Personally, I don't believe in working too hard. It creates stress, health issues and lack of time to pursue personal interests. Money and work should not be the be all end all in life. It's just a means of earning a certain standard of living. Americans should have the freedom to not work if they choose to do so, but should also know that if they don't work, chances are they will not be able to afford a certain standard of living. That's all.

Personally, I choose to work, because I want to live independently and live a comfortable lifestyle.

Old 05-04-2014, 01:43 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
If a kid does that during the summer, it is probably because they grew up on a farm and still live on a farm or in a small rural town. The word that would get around is that he is good for rural hard labor. Which is good for those that want that low wage rural lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies