Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2014, 06:48 PM

15,082 posts, read 14,274,318 times

Advertisements

You want me to seduce Putin while I'm there?

Maybe not...he's quite used to gorgeous Russian women. Never mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 06:58 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,400,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You want me to seduce Putin while I'm there?

Maybe not...he's quite used to gorgeous Russian women. Never mind.
Naaaah; you'd be going to get toys for boys not to be a boy's toy! Keep your mind on the mission Welty! Straighten up soldier!

Old 05-05-2014, 07:08 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,944,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusion2 View Post
Somehow I don't think that'd be well received by the other members of NATO, Russia and China either so... you could but you won't because it would be a disaster for all involved.. Plus you do realize Canada has stockpiles of all kinds of nasty things right...

'officially' we don't have any of these things...

Canada and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Well I don't care what Russia or China say...........they don't appear to care what we say much anymore. You go sit in Russia if you want.

What nasty things............HY Vee syrup?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
In any case, you're going to have to borrow money to reduce us to a pile of "ruble", and we won't lend you any more.
You're clearly not very good with money.
I prefer Crown when I imbibe.......yes thank you. Some of you folks do more than tree milking or whaling.

I do ok with money.........will be able to pay for my kids education in college............not the education part the pay part. Education up to them. I guess that is not good with money in your mind........so it goes. I should probably pay for some other kid.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:23 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,253,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Can only do good that is seen on the media for PR purposes.........now why has that been bad? Because we are evil according to them now it seems and folks buy the whole nonsense...... They don't report it much anymore. Yes the Canucks I would stand up with...............but it's fun to give em sheet too.
I think anyone with any objectivity can see that many of our more recent wars were "murky" in regards to why we are there and who we are supporting. Take Vietnam for example, while the North was often brutal and corrupt, so too was the government of the South - so why exactly were we there?

In Iran - while we were not at war there - we strongly supported the Shah - who was a NASTY dictator. We climbed in bed with the devil because he was an enemy of the Soviets. Was that REALLY the RIGHT thing to do? Seems pretty uncertain to me. Sadly the end result of that close relationship with the Shah was that WHEN the Shah fell, the folks who came into power were VIOLENTLY anti-U.S. - so WHERE was the benefit in supporting the Shah? All it did was make us look like we supported a dictator (which we DID). That's the type of thing we do that gives us a black eye (appropriately) in the press. For a long time US policy was one of being ANTI-SOVIET rather than PRO-DEMOCRACY. It was fine to be anti-Soviet, but not when it involved simply supporting some other form of dictatorship just because the particular dictator was anti-Soviet too.

In Afghanistan, in order to fight the Soviets, we supported, equipped and encouraged Islamist groups that grew into the Taliban - and we all know how THAT came back to haunt us in 9/11/01.

That whole "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" strategy that we tend to follow has come back to bite us in the butt over and over again - AND it leaves us wide open to criticism that we're enemies of freedom and friend to dictatorship. A lot of the criticism of the U.S. in the press IS unfair - but not ALL of it. Sometimes we bring it on ourselves.

Ken

Old 05-05-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
I think anyone with any objectivity can see that many of our more recent wars were "murky" in regards to why we are there and who we are supporting. Take Vietnam for example, while the North was often brutal and corrupt, so too was the government of the South - so why exactly were we there?

In Iran - while we were not at war there - we strongly supported the Shah - who was a NASTY dictator. We climbed in bed with the devil because he was an enemy of the Soviets. Was that REALLY the RIGHT thing to do? Seems pretty uncertain to me. Sadly the end result of that close relationship with the Shah was that WHEN the Shah fell, the folks who came into power were VIOLENTLY anti-U.S. - so WHERE was the benefit in supporting the Shah? All it did was make us look like we supported a dictator (which we DID). That's the type of thing we do that gives us a black eye (appropriately) in the press. For a long time US policy was one of being ANTI-SOVIET rather than PRO-DEMOCRACY. It was fine to be anti-Soviet, but not when it involved simply supporting some other form of dictatorship just because the particular dictator was anti-Soviet too.

In Afghanistan, in order to fight the Soviets, we supported, equipped and encouraged Islamist groups that grew into the Taliban - and we all know how THAT came back to haunt us in 9/11/01.

That whole "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" strategy that we tend to follow has come back to bite us in the butt over and over again - AND it leaves us wide open to criticism that we're enemies of freedom and friend to dictatorship.

Ken
Vietnam was to stop the commies.......media took care of it. Iraq was to ensure everybody had to have US dollars to buy it........oil. Big Sadaam was in with the new EU to take us down. Afghan IMO is about their resources........rare earth elements. Like I said prior the US aren't saints but do what is in their best interests like every other nation. We do a lot more though. The new 24 hour news cycle likes to rail on the US. So it goes. Ask Obama why he sent fighter jets to plow the way to kill Momar. He wanted to create the African Dinar. He got killed. Hell we almost took him out years ago too.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:39 PM

1,199 posts, read 731,543 times
The right wing presence in this thread is quite strong. Im surprised more are not here to assert that America is numero uno and that Canad is becoming North Korea and Cuba at the same time

Old 05-05-2014, 07:41 PM

Well we are still numero uno.............sad times for you. You will be cheering the next ten years though.

Old 05-05-2014, 07:43 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,226,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Well we are still numero uno.............sad times for you. You will be cheering the next ten years though.
In what?? Number of prisoners?

Old 05-05-2014, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
In what?? Number of prisoners?
If you think so.............my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies