Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:20 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,580,303 times

Advertisements

I lean to the right and like the focus that the left brings to the environment - global warming or not, the planet and air is dirty. I also appreciate the focus on helping those in need - where to draw the line on that is debatable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2007, 10:23 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,164,623 times
I'm somewhere in the middle. So I'll say something nice about both sides AND the middle-grounders:

Right-Wingers, your astute sense of self value and self sufficiency is a model that needs to spread to everyone.

Left-Wingers, you have compassion for people who may not speak for themselves. You stand up and defend the lesser man.

Middle-wingers, you've taken the best of both worlds and created your own ideals. You Rock.

And there's no hidden evil or dismay in either statement.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:51 PM

7,138 posts, read 14,633,867 times
Most of my friends just to the left of center, not the far left loons however. I am more socially liberal (i.e. support the environment, just NOT Big Al!; pro-choice and a liberal theologist). To the right of Rush on most everything else.

Old 12-11-2007, 01:09 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,097,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancasterNative View Post
Kudos to you, friend! There is a lot we agree on.

Like many of our liberal friends, I'm all for helping the poor, the sick, and others who can't take care of themselves. I believe that's a moral duty based on the Christian faith, which I profess.

Where I part company with the Left is, I hold that to be a personal obligation, best done within the context of families and local/social/religious networks. I don't think charity should be a function of government.

Also, big dittos on what you said about global warming...
Thats where I part from the right. Especially in an economy that is requiring people to be split up from their social networks that have been built over years and they must move somewhere thats thousands of miles away. I believe that business interests have taken over so much of peoples lives that the government must do it because they are the only ones who can balance the power of businesses. Unless it is a very small business most care very little about employees and businesses have developed an anti-union culture, people are powerless against businesses and that only leaves government.

That said, I do like the right encouraging small businesses. I think they have it wrong though. Small businesses must get more breaks than big ones or they never will be able to compete.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies