Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:13 PM

102 posts, read 101,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
There is a huge difference between that and an "invitation to rape."
I don't really think there is. A girl who is half-dressed and shaking her body parts all over the dance floor or at a party is essentially inviting trouble, particularly if she's intoxicated. The signal she is sending, deliberately or not, is that she wants sexual attention.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 04:41 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,557,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrannis View Post
I don't really think there is. A girl who is half-dressed and shaking her body parts all over the dance floor or at a party is essentially inviting trouble, particularly if she's intoxicated. The signal she is sending, deliberately or not, is that she wants sexual attention.
NO NO NO -- it doesn't matter if a woman is NAKED and "shaking her body parts" ... it is NOT an invitation to rape.

WHEN will you guys EVER understand this -- your beliefs are actually detrimental to MEN -- you're saying that "well gee, those guys just couldn't HELP themselves because there she was just asking for it."

Babies are raped. Men are raped. Muslim women wearing burkas are raped. Strippers are raped. Young mothers are raped. Grandmothers are raped. Little boys and girls are raped. It has NOTHING to do with what ANY of them are wearing or doing.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:42 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,620,761 times
Quote:
Wanting sexual attention is much different than saying "hey, some guy should come over and try to have sex with me, and if I resist, just keep going!"

You are making men look bad by actually trying to argue this.

Old 05-09-2014, 08:14 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Why is there a double standard if the crime is rape?

When a female takes no precautions whatsoever regarding her behavior........her dress, her drinking, her going to a stranger's room at 3AM..............everyone will say she wasn't asking for it and her lack of judgement should not be held against her.

However, if a male gets intoxicated and walks thru a bad neighborhood at 2AM .....and gets beaten and robbed............I doubt the police will make much effort investigating.

He would be told..." what the hell were you thinking ".............and/or........." you were asking for trouble with your poor judgement "

Double standard.

Old 05-10-2014, 01:20 AM

297 posts, read 519,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teddy52 View Post
Why is there a double standard if the crime is rape?

When a female takes no precautions whatsoever regarding her behavior........her dress, her drinking, her going to a stranger's room at 3AM..............everyone will say she wasn't asking for it and her lack of judgement should not be held against her.

However, if a male gets intoxicated and walks thru a bad neighborhood at 2AM .....and gets beaten and robbed............I doubt the police will make much effort investigating.

He would be told..." what the hell were you thinking ".............and/or........." you were asking for trouble with your poor judgement "

Double standard.
I have no idea why you think rape victims are coddled, or get substantial investigations into their cases. It could not be farther from the truth.

Old 05-10-2014, 02:21 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by savoytruffle View Post
there is a huge difference between that and an "invitation to rape."
what?

Old 05-10-2014, 05:41 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia1961 View Post
People like my husband also believe that provocative, low-cut clothing is an invitation to rape. He just will not let go of this thinking.

The fact is that women in their 80's and even 90's have been raped. Do these women also "ask for it"? Definitely not!! Rape is about power and control expressed in a sexual manner.
Yes you said it very well. Of course rape is sexual but it's main motive is to dominate, control and demean the victim. This is why having prostitutes does not stop rape and of course prostitutes also get raped. Paying money for sex is not going to satisfy these predators. They get off on the fear of the victim and having them completely under their control.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:51 AM

2,661 posts, read 5,467,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonia1961 View Post
People like my husband also believe that provocative, low-cut clothing is an invitation to rape. He just will not let go of this thinking.

The fact is that women in their 80's and even 90's have been raped. Do these women also "ask for it"? Definitely not!! Rape is about power and control expressed in a sexual manner.
A woman should be able to walk naked down the street and not get raped. That's just victim blaming. People always blame women for walking around at night, for wearing short dresses etc. Some cultures believe a woman showing her hair is provocation for rape. Where does it stop? Men need to talk up when other men put women down. Our culture needs to change and the common excuse of "boys will be boys" shouldn't be accepted. I know it's very complicated with a lot of factors involved but a bit more kindness in our societies wouldn't go astray.

Old 05-10-2014, 08:52 AM

3,433 posts, read 5,743,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler92 View Post
I have no idea why you think rape victims are coddled, or get substantial investigations into their cases. It could not be farther from the truth.
I never said that ......"rape victims are coddled "

I wish that other crimes that I mentioned wouldn't be brushed aside as....." he was asking for it "

Please don't put words in my mouth that are not there !

Old 05-10-2014, 10:18 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
Quote:
While the possibility exists for anyone to be raped, it's not a myth that attractive women are more likely to be raped.

How do you figure?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies