Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2014, 11:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This isn't about a small personal donation.

This is about $500,000 from an anonymous donor. Anonymous to you or I. But probably not anonymous to the candidate. Who knows he owes a debt to this anonymous donor. Dark money should be against the law.
So its O.K. to vote against your interests as long as you know who donated to him?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2014, 11:51 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I don't care if he takes Marty's phone call. All I care is that he votes as he said he would. Marty still only has the same number of votes that I do.

Marty's $500,000 isn't going to over ride 50,000 pissed off voters unless you allow it to.

If he won't take yours and that is important to you then don't vote for him. Do you really think he isn't going to take Martys call even if you know he accepted $500k from him? Of course he is. Its his vote that is important and you know what it is.
Marty doesn't have a vote at all. As far as I can tell, the Government Integrity Fund is headquartered in OHIO, and in 2012 played a significant role in the Ohio and Connecticut elections. What's their interest in Arkansas? Oh, we don't get to know that, we don't even get to know who these donors are. We don't get to know what they want, we only know that campaign funding is leverage for certain individuals and certain lobby groups and certain SuperPACs to get the candidates to support their agendas. Even when those agendas don't reflect the needs or desires of the candidate's constituents.

And when the Senator votes, and the new law is passed, and his constituents are hurt by the law, it's a little late. Because it's hard to undo laws, and undoing unpopular laws can actually increase the harm.

For instance, Tom Cotton wants to reverse the ACA. Only you can't reverse it. You can't go back in time. What's done is done. Revoking ACA is going to do harm, too.

I simply want to know who Tom Cotton is beholden to. And I want to know who Mark Pryor is beholden to. And I want to know who John Boehrner is beholden to. I want no dark money in campaigns. I want transparency.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:52 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,878,374 times
Quote:
So its O.K. to vote against your interests as long as you know who donated to him?
I'm not sure how you got to this conclusion. Or are you just throwing spaghetti to see what will stick to the wall?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Marty doesn't have a vote at all. As far as I can tell, the Government Integrity Fund is headquartered in OHIO, and in 2012 played a significant role in the Ohio and Connecticut elections. What's their interest in Arkansas? Oh, we don't get to know that, we don't even get to know who these donors are. We don't get to know what they want, we only know that campaign funding is leverage for certain individuals and certain lobby groups and certain SuperPACs to get the candidates to support their agendas. Even when those agendas don't reflect the needs or desires of the candidate's constituents.
Of course you can know that. "Senator, you accepted $500k from an out of state PAC and I would Like to know what their interests are in this state"?

Quote:
And when the Senator votes, and the new law is passed, and his constituents are hurt by the law, it's a little late. Because it's hard to undo laws, and undoing unpopular laws can actually increase the harm.
if he is the kind of politician that will lie to you he will lie to you regardless whether you know exactly who personally provided the bulk of the money.

Quote:
For instance, Tom Cotton wants to reverse the ACA. Only you can't reverse it. You can't go back in time. What's done is done. Revoking ACA is going to do harm, too.
So you pick which harm you support the most and vote that way.

Quote:
I simply want to know who Tom Cotton is beholden to. And I want to know who Mark Pryor is beholden to. And I want to know who John Boehrner is beholden to. I want no dark money in campaigns. I want transparency.
You will of course be transparent with your vote also? I'm not. Its none of your business.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure how you got to this conclusion. Or are you just throwing spaghetti to see what will stick to the wall?
If the politician votes against your wishes how does it change your opinion of him by knowing who personally provided a large share of his money?

Old 05-06-2014, 12:27 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
Its really none of your business who I (or anyone else) gives their money to.
you're wrong. Let me create a scenario....

A new Superpac enters the fray, with 10 billion dollars, they do as described earlier, and tell candidates they will fund the campaigns of people who oppose fighting Russia under any circumstances. Their original funding is from....drumroll......Russia.

Additionally knowing WHO buys our politicians is important to track improper influence of them.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:28 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times
Quote:
If the politician votes against your wishes how does it change your opinion of him by knowing who personally provided a large share of his money?
Yes this matters. Its one thing if he votes against my interests because he personally believed differently, or knew something I didn't-its another when his vote is bought and paid for.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
you're wrong. Let me create a scenario....

A new Superpac enters the fray, with 10 billion dollars, they do as described earlier, and tell candidates they will fund the campaigns of people who oppose fighting Russia under any circumstances. Their original funding is from....drumroll......Russia.

Additionally knowing WHO buys our politicians is important to track improper influence of them.
Politicians already have to report all foreign contributions.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Yes this matters. Its one thing if he votes against my interests because he personally believed differently, or knew something I didn't-its another when his vote is bought and paid for.
Sorry, I disagree. You are basing your positions on the positions of others. Since so and so is for it you are going to be against it. Now if this other guy was for it, well then you will be for it also.

If I am against something I'm going to vote for the person who votes the same way or against the one that lied to me no matter who donates to him.

The post earlier addresses what I see here. You are more concerned about demonizing someone personally than how your senator votes.

Old 05-06-2014, 12:39 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
How dark money gets funneled into our elections

I live in Arkansas. The race between Rep Tom Cotton and Sen Mark Pryor for Pryor's seat in the U S Senate is hotly contested.

That's racist... What about all the lite money pumped into the elitist system?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies