Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2014, 08:15 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,936,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'd disagree about it not stopping crime. As other states move towards legalization prices will come down and they'll push out the illegal dealers. Everybody I know who's been to CO or lives there goes to the stores. Why even risk the illegal element

I don't know what your last sentence had to do with the argument. People don't rob people for pot.

"You ever ________ for pot?!"

I don't know any pot heads like that.

Yep. If you're out, you're out. The thing about "potheads" though is they do like to share their weed.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 08:36 AM

79,906 posts, read 43,928,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
I'd disagree about it not stopping crime. As other states move towards legalization prices will come down and they'll push out the illegal dealers. Everybody I know who's been to CO or lives there goes to the stores. Why even risk the illegal element
As I noted earlier, cigarettes are relatively cheap but the illegal trade is growing as taxes increase. The government is never going to give up their profits.

Quote:
I don't know what your last sentence had to do with the argument. People don't rob people for pot.
Sure they do. Just as robberies happen by those looking for alcohol.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:55 AM

11,466 posts, read 19,302,375 times
Default I'm convinced that the vast majority of crime in the US would go away if drugs were legalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
I'm convinced the number of people requiring public assistance would go up exponentially if all illegal drugs were made legal. I am also convinced that the rate of traffic accidents and injuries would increase. Crime over all would increase as the number of addicts increased.
I agree, the more drug addicts means the less people working, more welfare and crime.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:21 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,834,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
You mean the difference between decriminalization and legalization?

The arguments we are hearing about legalization, are the EXACT same arguments were used to push for decriminalization in Holland and Portugal, and the EXACT opposite happened. .
Ahhh didn't realize the nuance there. It's no brainier decriminalization would lead to increased crime activity. That's worse than having them illegal altogether.

Legalization as long as the taxes are not that high removes the profit motive, no easy and huge profits and there is no criminal element interested.

Old 05-07-2014, 09:42 AM

76,974 posts, read 47,311,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Ahhh didn't realize the nuance there. It's no brainier decriminalization would lead to increased crime activity. That's worse than having them illegal altogether.
Really? A no brainer? It's funny ALL of the pro-drug people arguing for decriminalization argued it would reduce crime and free up police to work on "real crime". None of them saw this hind-sight 'no-brainer'.

It is a no-brainer legalization will have end being exactly the same.

Quote:
Legalization as long as the taxes are not that high removes the profit motive, no easy and huge profits and there is no criminal element interested.
Sure, that's what they said in Holland too, except they don't have the tax problem. They sell it tax-free. No, it did not remove the profit motive. As a matter of fact, if there is no profit motive, why would anyone sell it legally or illegally?

Old 05-07-2014, 10:40 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,834,307 times
Quote:
It is a no-brainer legalization will have end being exactly the same.
It's two completely different situations. You can't have this but we won't arrest you if you do? LOL. You'd have to be some kind of isiot to think that is going to work. You can't have a law that bans something and then remove anyway to enforce it, that is worse than making it illegal.

The reason criminals sell drugs is the profits are enormous and easily made. Assuming the taxes are not that high that is taken out of the equation as is the crime involved with it. It can be no other, like any "businessmen" id the profit isn't there they will move onto something else.

Quote:
As a matter of fact, if there is no profit motive, why would anyone sell it legally or illegally?
There is huge consequences for that massive profit illegal drugs make that a legal enterprise doesn't have to contend with. For starters they don't have to worry about getting shot by the competition and they don't have to worry about going to jail for very long time. The lower profits make it much more desirable for the non criminal element.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Really? A no brainer? It's funny ALL of the pro-drug people arguing for decriminalization argued it would reduce crime and free up police to work on "real crime". None of them saw this hind-sight 'no-brainer'.
I'm for the legalization of pot but I'm pretty sure I was clear that it wasn't because it would reduce crime because its not going to.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:21 AM

1,262 posts, read 1,294,978 times
Default of course it will...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm for the legalization of pot but I'm pretty sure I was clear that it wasn't because it would reduce crime because its not going to.
Follow this logic: If cannabis is legal, than the police can not arrest you. If you are not arrested,you are not part of the crime stats for that area. Therefore, the area experiances a drop in crime/criminal activity.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:24 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,936,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Follow this logic: If cannabis is legal, than the police can not arrest you. If you are not arrested,you are not part of the crime stats for that area. Therefore, the area experiances a drop in crime/criminal activity.

That is the way I see it.

Old 05-07-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaconowner View Post
Crime did not stop after we ended prohibition. Yes casual smokers will no longer get thrown in jail which is good and one reason I support the legalization but it will only cause those profiting to find another illegal venture if not the same one like we have seen in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies