Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do burglars deserve death?
Yes 156 59.77%
No 105 40.23%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 03:03 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
More like an attempt to de-escalate the confrontation the intruder has forced upon me the homeowner. The home owner didn't create the confrontation the intruder did.
You just pointed out a scenario where you could ascertain a thief's intent w/o forcing a confrontation, where the thief would have the opportunity to leave w/o putting you or your family in danger, where taking a life over property doesn't have to be the outcome...

Why are you backing away from that now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 03:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
They have merely shown ways I can give the criminal more opportunities to do things, and trust that he's a nice enough guy to not do them.

I have pointed out to you why that is unacceptable. You have repeatedly ignored this and acted as though the words hadn't been said.

You're clearly not interested in debate or any kind of truth or reality, but merely want to duck, dodge, and evade. Go peddle your papers.
Nor should you be compelled to give an intruder any opportunities. They could have simply not entered your home and avoided creating the situation. They elect to risk their lives instead. They deserve what follows.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
You just pointed out a scenario where you could ascertain a thief's intent w/o forcing a confrontation, where the thief would have the opportunity to leave w/o putting you or your family in danger, where taking a life over property doesn't have to be the outcome...

You may not have time.

And there's a difference between thieves and burglars, as I've previously mentioned.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM

Quote:

No I did not. I honestly don't care what his intent is. I am not forcing a confrontation, I am responding to the confrontation that was forced upon me. There is a big difference.
A man takes a swing at me. I can step back and try to reason with him to de-escalate what he is forcing upon me. Or I can punch him in the throat and de-escalate that way.
In this case I prefer not to have a clean up detail or holes in my walls from the intruder. I would rather not deal with the justice system. The intruders life, well being or mental state is not even a factor in my decision making.
Why do you insist that it is the homeowner forcing a confrontation? It is the thief, he has violated another persons home. Few things can force confrontation more than that.
If I kick your door in while your family is eating dinner did you force the confrontation that follows or did I?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:10 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,112,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You don't always have time.

And there's a difference between thieves and burglars, as I've previously mentioned.
Both no1brownsfan and he both showed scenarios where you could resolve the doubt you're talking about.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:12 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
You may not have time.

Correct.

One has already demonstrated MORE criminal intent than just breaking and entering.

The other hasn't... yet.

Fleabrained excuse-makers like some of the people in this thread want you to give them more opportunities to do so. Hence my description of them.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:15 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Default The Crimmials made that chioce!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
If someone breaks into your house, do they deserve death for it? Even if they're not even armed? There's been several stories in the news about teenagers who broke into old men's homes and were slain unnecessarily after the threat was neutralized and the general consensus was that the men were heroes for protecting their stuff.

Now I'm sure being burgled is traumatic, but is it really a greater evil than killing an intruder? Especially if there was no reason to do so aside from revenge? If so why not treat it the same as murder if apparently it's equally serious and make it a capital crime you can be executed for?
Its sad that someone so young may die , but the reality is those same young people made the choice to break in. Since they were young they were probably in good physical health and could easily take down some senior and middle age man. Never mind a women.

Its is more than " Protecting your stuff" . Its about making your family safe from a Home Invasion and or a Robbery.

Advocating that these crimes are OK, is nonsense and that is exactly what you implying.

Home invasion are serious maters and the home owner does know the intent of the criminals. There for shot to kill protecting your home. There is no such thing as a warning shot. Second Count and the Police is on average 8-9 minutes away.

Remember " Dead men tell no Tales"!

Old 05-07-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Both no1brownsfan and he both showed scenarios where you could resolve the doubt you're talking about.
2 am you hear things being broken in another room. You for the safety of your loved ones must assume the worst. The mistake you make is the mistake they may very well pay for.
I assume 1 thing and only 1 thing if someone breaks into my home. I and my family are in danger. No maybe to it. If the intruder who only meant to steal my 42 inch TV dies then that is his own fault.
The only doubt you should have is if the bullets from an intruders gun will punch through the walls where your family is hiding.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:17 PM

10,581 posts, read 9,783,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
However, if I do not know if someone is armed, their lives are a distant second to those of my loved ones.
And you never know if the intruder is armed. He's already committed the major crime of violating your house. It would be foolish to assume he's otherwise a nice guy.

As I said before, if I don't see his back disappearing rapidly in the distance outside my house, or see him lying facedown on the floor with his empty hands clasped behind his head and saying "I give up', I will immediately do what I have to, to remove the possible threat he presents to my family.

I would be derelict in my duty to my family if I did anything else.

As for my "duty" to the criminal: If he's forcing me to choose between him and my family, I have no duty to him at all.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
And you never know if someone is armed. He's already committed the major crime of violating your house. It would be foolish to assume he's otherwise a nice guy.

As I said before, if I don't see his back disappearing rapidly in the distance outside my house, or see him lying facedown on the floor with his empty hands clasped behind his head and saying "I give up', I will immediately do what I have to, to remove the possible threat he presents to my family.

I would be derelict in my duty to my family if I did anything else.

As for my "duty" to the criminal: If he's forcing me to choose between him and my family, I have no duty to him at all.
No truer words...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies