Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do burglars deserve death?
Yes 156 59.77%
No 105 40.23%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 04:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,787,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
A question to all of the armed people worried about burglars. If, as a responsible gun owner, you keep your weapons locked up, how will these weapons help with a burglar in the middle of the night? Seems as if you would have to keep a gun under your pillow or lean a loaded shotgun against a wall, both of which seem rather reckless.
My gun is in a safe which allows me to have it in hand within 5 seconds. I'd say a person should have an alarm, while exercising his right to own a weapon.

I had many cops as clients when I was a contractor. Most of them had bed holsters, one of them had one for himself and one for his wife. We had to wait while he unloaded the bed before we could start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 04:40 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
How do you not know if a police car is nearby? Have you shot at all it is not that hard to avoid hitting a vital organ. Of course even if you did not kill the thief I am sure you would not call an ambulance and just let them die because that is what they deserve right?
Ill ignore the obvious attempt at insults. How do you shoot center mass and miss organs?
Have you ever fired a weapon? Because it seems as though the sum of your knowledge is based on movie stunts. If you shoot, you aim for center mass. Look up defensive shooting and educate yourself.
If I shot and wounded the intruder the police are called as well an ambulance. If they are downed they are safe.
They deserve their fate. If they survive they do, if they die no regrets from me. darwin wins, society wins. 1 less criminal.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:22 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,820,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
A question to all of the armed people worried about burglars. If, as a responsible gun owner, you keep your weapons locked up, how will these weapons help with a burglar in the middle of the night? Seems as if you would have to keep a gun under your pillow or lean a loaded shotgun against a wall, both of which seem rather reckless.

Wouldn't it be easier to just get an alarm? Ours goes off if someone tries to open the doors or windows and alerts the monitoring company to call cops. I don't own a gun and do not know anyone who has ever had a burglar break into their home during the night. The chances of being broken into in the middle of the night are not huge. Common sense and security alarms will probably prevent most burglaries (and most are committed during the day and when the homeowner is out.) Common sense and security alarm systems will go a lot further to protect you then an a home arsenal. Then you will not have to worry about having to murder a thief.
What is easier is to not lock up some of my firearms. I don't have kids, no reason to lock up my gun.

Average police response time in the US is 11 minutes from dispatch. Most alarm companies won't dispatch police to residential areas unless they confirm via phone call that the property owner is having a problem. So alarm goes off and phone company calls you, you answer and tell them you have having an emergency. They then call 911 for you (this probably takes at least 4 minutes total). Then police are dispatched with an average response time of 11 minutes. The bad guy has now been in your house doing what he wishes for 15 minutes before the police arrive.

I'll take my chances with my gun. The police are mostly used to take reports, not prevent crimes. It is very rare that a police officer will actually stop a crime from happening.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:26 PM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
If someone breaks into your house, do they deserve death for it? Even if they're not even armed? There's been several stories in the news about teenagers who broke into old men's homes and were slain unnecessarily after the threat was neutralized and the general consensus was that the men were heroes for protecting their stuff.

Now I'm sure being burgled is traumatic, but is it really a greater evil than killing an intruder? Especially if there was no reason to do so aside from revenge? If so why not treat it the same as murder if apparently it's equally serious and make it a capital crime you can be executed for?
Ask burglars if their burglarizing is worth their lives.

You, me, the burglars all have the same right to defend ourselves and our property.

That's not to say that I would kill someone merely because they robbed me, but if they came at me or posed any threat to someone else, I'd have no problem with it.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:31 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
If they break in when you are home, you are automatically in danger.

I feel sick to my stomach that there are folks posting here who truly believe you should try to read the heart of someone who has already given you every reason to believe they will harm you, rather than take immediate action to protect your family.
Yup. I agree totally, once you break into my home, I am in danger. This is different from my car in which case only my property is generally at risk. Once I've shot you, and you're down this changes however.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:39 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,207,531 times
Anyone who would break into someone else's home deserves to be shot. As someone mentioned before, stealing from Walmart is not the same as breaking into someone else's home.

For comparisons sake, you can consider Walmart as being a home. It is a home that invites everyone into it. If you invite someone into your home with $100 lying on your coffee table. It is reasonable to expect that someone might steal that $100. For that matter, there is reason to believe that other people who live in your home might steal that $100. Thus, when you invite someone into your home, you have a responsibility to reasonably protect yourself from a criminal act. In a sense, inviting someone into your home and leaving $100 on your coffee table, and then killing them if they steal it, would be something akin to entrapment.

Imagine it like inviting a crackhead into your house and leaving thousands of dollars on a kitchen counter, then when he goes to pocket the money, you shoot him. Most people would find that to be unreasonable.

If we are using "reason", we recognize that the rules for people who are invited into a home are different than the rules for people who come in uninvited. Thus the rules for "Walmart" are different than in the case of a burglary.

When we look at burglaries, we must recognize that anyone who would break into someone else's home should expect to be killed. Whether or not it should legal to kill them is irrelevant. If you break into someone else's home you should expect to be killed regardless of the existence of any law. Moreover, there is no expectation by a homeowner that their home should be broken into. Which means it is perfectly reasonable to kill someone who is breaking into your home.

The real question here isn't whether or not you should be allowed to shoot someone who breaks into your home. The real question here is whether or not the punishment for burglary should be the death penalty. Because the real question here is based on circumstances.

Basically, if someone broke into your house, then upon seeing that you were home and had a gun, decided to "give themselves up", by dropping to the ground or otherwise becoming a non-threat. At that point, can you shoot him anyway?

Some people will argue that in the absence of a threat to your life, you cannot shoot someone else, even if they have just broken into your home. Some people will argue that in most cases it is impossible to really know whether or not they are a no longer a threat, so killing them is the only way to assuredly protect yourselves. Others will say that it is likely that if they go to jail from breaking into your house, that it is likely that they will come back again, better to just finish them off. Others more will even argue that killing criminals is doing society a favor by setting a clear example that anyone who breaks into someone's home will be killed, as well as helping to cleanse the gene pool of criminal tendencies.

I will say this, a few years ago I would have been opposed to allowing anyone to shoot anyone else who wasn't an immediate threat to their life. Now, I would put myself squarely on the other end of the spectrum.

My basic reasoning is this. Statistics have shown that laws don't do much at all to prevent crime. Even the threat of harsh penalties doesn't prevent the vast majority of crime. But, the problem with criminality is that in most cases, it is a lifestyle. It is sort of like the old saying that once someone is a child molester they will always be a child molester. Or once a rapist always a rapist. While these associations aren't always true, they are true in most cases. It is very difficult for habitual criminals to straighten themselves up.

For instance, the likelihood that someone who was arrested for a property related crime will be arrested again within three years is about 74%. In terms of repeat criminals that number is probably much higher, since not everyone gets caught.

Recidivism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Of course, crime rates have fallen over time, the question is why? There are a variety of causes, but the primary cause is longer sentences for habitual criminals. Basically, if you go by the mantra once a child molester always a child molester, then the longer you lock up child molesters, the less often they will be able to commit crimes.

The falling crime rates since the 1990's is directly related to longer sentencing. Things like three-strikes laws, minimum sentencing, and just longer sentencing in general

Longer prison terms really do cut crime, study shows | Law | The Observer

Basically, if you recognize that thieves will almost always continue to steal, then the only way to prevent them from stealing is to remove them from society. Basically, I just feel like a homeowner would be doing society a favor by just shooting anyone who would have the gall to break into someone else's home. And I justify the reasonableness of such a statement by merely thinking, if there were no police and no court, what would you do if someone broke into your home? If it was someone you didn't know, in the absence of it being someone who was starving and desperate for food, you would be forced to kill them.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
Quote:
If someone breaks into your house, do they deserve death for it? Even if they're not even armed? There's been several stories in the news about teenagers who broke into old men's homes and were slain unnecessarily after the threat was neutralized and the general consensus was that the men were heroes for protecting their stuff.

Now I'm sure being burgled is traumatic, but is it really a greater evil than killing an intruder? Especially if there was no reason to do so aside from revenge? If so why not treat it the same as murder if apparently it's equally serious and make it a capital crime you can be executed for?

Seems 2/3rds, do not agree with the opinion, you personally as an individual, possess.

In the real world, you may not get a timeout.
Life... Live & learn, or die trying.

Old 05-07-2014, 05:56 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
In real life with the adrenaline pumping it's truly fight or flight. IF someone breaks in to your house again and again, it would make anyone angry. He basically said "I've had enough" and set a trap. The cops were powerless to stop such things, obviously. The old saying "when you have seconds, the cops are just minutes away" applies. In this respect he was within the law.

His actions after rendering them immobile is quite disturbing though. He basically acted as if he was putting a hunted animal out of its misery.
Who?

Old 05-07-2014, 06:14 PM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:

If a burglar got through our security, was in my home, and I had a 12 gauge shotgun leveled at his chest, what would I do?

Tell him to take "his" loot and leave. Objects and items are not worth dying over nor are they worth killing for.

Old 05-07-2014, 06:21 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
If a burglar got through our security, was in my home, and I had a 12 gauge shotgun leveled at his chest, what would I do?

Tell him to take "his" loot and leave. Objects and items are not worth dying over nor are they worth killing for.
That would be great if they gave you that option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies