Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do burglars deserve death?
Yes 156 59.77%
No 105 40.23%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 03:52 PM

18,419 posts, read 15,145,039 times

Advertisements

Looking at it from another angle, the mere fact that it is legal to kill people who have broken into our homes, and the fact that there are people willing to do it, makes us all safer. It makes for a pretty powerful deterrent. If you removed that threat, I would be willing to bet that more people would feel free to break into other people's homes. Everyone should be able to feel safe in their own homes. Nobody has the right to take that away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2015, 05:35 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,860,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
So if they are just some teenage kids wanting to steal something you would go shoot them? If someone breaks into your house and you are not threatened and you go find them that is murder. Going to find someone who broke into your house who has not threatened you is not defending yourself. You can not just assume that they want to harm you and decide they should be taken care of. There is a big difference between defending yourself and going after someone. If you call the police because someone is in your house they are not gonna just go in shooting unless that person is threating them they will try to take the person done first so I am not sure why it is okay for people to just go attack someone who has yet to show any threat to harm them.
The problem with your logic you assume that Johnnie Junior just wants to steel your TV. Dealing with looters and in emergency situations most career criminals think they are entitled to your stuff. The other problem is when the police has arrived the damage is done. the investigation stops there and the Local PD recommend you use your Home Owners insurance.
Most cases Johnnie Jr. is a repeat offender and has seen a inside of a jail too many times. He does not want to back down , because of many states 3 strikes your out law. So we are not typically talking about the HS Quarterback trying to be in with his friends. We are speaking to real criminal element and they resent any who protects life and property,:think :

Old 02-17-2015, 06:36 PM

5,640 posts, read 5,058,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Yes. Tell them you have a weapon. Also, stay on the phone with 911. The responding officers will be talking with the 911 dispatcher as well. Once the cops arrive, ask the 911 operator for instructions. Unless you are in immediate danger, ALWAYS put your weapon down when the cops arrive. They want to go home after their shift and they are just as likely to shoot you as the bad guy.

Stay calm, put your weapon down, make sure your hands are clearly visible and follow the instructions of the 911 operator. Let the cops handle it from there.
When someone was breaking into my home, my wife called 911 while I went looking for the intruder. She called to me saying the dispatcher wanted me to secure my weapon. I called back in a loud voice "Hell No!" She said that the dispatcher said that the officers were on the way and would not come into the house while I was armed. I said in an even louder voice "Then recall the officers and send a coroner instead!" That's when the approaching units turned on their sirens. As they crossed the front lawn, I opened the front door, facing inward with my weapon still pointed at the basement door. They did not disarm me, but asked me to lower my weapon as they entered. I did and it stayed tucked in my waistband the rest of the time.

Afterwards, an officer said "I officially have to tell you that in such a situation, get your family, secure yourself in a room and announce loudly that you are armed and the police have been notified. Unofficially, I'll tell you to make sure you kill them inside the house."

Old 02-17-2015, 08:45 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,911,712 times
Quote:
So if they are just some teenage kids wanting to steal something you would go shoot them? If someone breaks into your house and you are not threatened and you go find them that is murder. Going to find someone who broke into your house who has not threatened you is not defending yourself. You can not just assume that they want to harm you and decide they should be taken care of. There is a big difference between defending yourself and going after someone. If you call the police because someone is in your house they are not gonna just go in shooting unless that person is threating them they will try to take the person done first so I am not sure why it is okay for people to just go attack someone who has yet to show any threat to harm them.
Murder is a charge that is determined by your state. In your state, perhaps the scenario you describe is murder. In my state, the cops ask what kind of ammunition you used to stop the idiot. Do not break into my house and we will get along just fine.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:27 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,661,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
Callous disregard?
Yes. Callous disregard. You're the one loading the gun, pointing the gun, shooting the gun. At another human being. You can try to use all manner of rationalizations to try to blind yourself to the culpability on you for your attitude in that scenario, but it's just a dodge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
"Worth and dignity".....sorry, I have a hard time applying that term to a criminal who has forcefully broken into my home.
Yes I know. Your comments very convincingly communicate how you very effectively corrupt your perceptions to invalidate basic humane consideration for others. I hope, though, that it is posturing, and not an accurate depiction of moral turpitude as it appears to be.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,429,028 times
Quote:
If you break into my home I am going to protect myself. PERIOD. I don't know why they're there. Maybe they want to rape my daughter? Maybe they want to kill us for the fun of it? I don't know why they're there or what they are capable of. I just know they are criminals and they are in my house. I don't know if they are armed or masters at kung fu. I don't know why they are there. They don't get the benefit of a doubt. If they wanted that, they shouldn't have broken in my house. You don't put someone in a position to fear you and then get go cry foul when they shoot you. Whatever happens is ENTIRELY on the person who broke into the house. If I had a gun (mine or theirs if I got it somehow) I'd shoot because I'd want them incapacitated since I don't know what they are capable of or what their true intent is towards me. I'm not a very good aim though so I'm going for the gut and they might die as a result but that's on them. I didn't break into their house. They broke into mine.

When you break into someone's house with them home they are going to assume the worst, which they should because that is very possible and you should expect them to defend themselves. It's not the homeowners fault if someone breaks in and gets shot. It's the fault of the person who broke in.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 02-18-2015 at 03:57 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 04:00 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,429,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
Yes. Callous disregard. You're the one loading the gun, pointing the gun, shooting the gun. At another human being. You can try to use all manner of rationalizations to try to blind yourself to the culpability on you for your attitude in that scenario, but it's just a dodge.

Yes I know. Your comments very convincingly communicate how you very effectively corrupt your perceptions to invalidate basic humane consideration for others. I hope, though, that it is posturing, and not an accurate depiction of moral turpitude as it appears to be.
Another human being who may or may not be armed. How are we supposed to know they don't have a gun? A knife? A chemical weapon? I may be pointing the gun now but if I don't shoot the may manage to get the upper hand on me later. Someone breaking into your home doesn't get the benefit of a doubt. They get shot if you have a gun. What's stupid is breaking into someone's home. What we know about the criminal is they are a criminal. They are not to be trusted. We don't know why they are there. Perhaps it's to steal, perhaps they have murder on their mind. How are we supposed to know? Ask them when you obviously can't trust them? It makes sense to make damned sure they are incapacitated at the very least.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:02 AM
bUU

12,077 posts, read 10,661,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
How are we supposed to know they don't have a gun? A knife? A chemical weapon?
As I explained earlier in the thread, if you don't know the answer, then perhaps society isn't making sure that you're adequately qualified to have a gun. I know I know: It's so hard to learn how to be responsible and accountable for your actions. That's just tough.

Old 02-18-2015, 04:50 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,860,324 times
Question The Point that we are forgetting?

Most break in are due to some other illegal action. Like drug addition and meth production in basement, to purchase black market guns.. The List goes on!
The Actual breaking is a long series of criminals putting life and property at risk At the point of the break in they look at your home as a revenue op. to fund some other crime.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:21 AM

5,640 posts, read 5,058,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bUU View Post
As I explained earlier in the thread, if you don't know the answer, then perhaps society isn't making sure that you're adequately qualified to have a gun. I know I know: It's so hard to learn how to be responsible and accountable for your actions. That's just tough.
If a homeowner in their own residence takes the time to learn if an intruder has a weapon, it will likely be too late for them to do anything about it. Killing an intruder inside one's home without hesitation is a reasonable response and the absolute best way to ensure the safety of one's home and family under such circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies