Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do burglars deserve death?
Yes 156 59.77%
No 105 40.23%
Voters: 261. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2015, 05:38 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
How does one know what their intentions are? Have you ever heard of fight or flight? Even if intention is only to steal the moment the owner announces his presence may cause the intruder to attack them. Adrenalin rush. You ever seen how quickly a person can move when under duress? Very very quick. Too quick. Are we presuming it is a well lite room and the homeowner has a safety distance margin to react?

She really did not say what your are referring to.

You mention "going" often above. What do you mean by going or going after? No one mentioned purusing the intruder and opening fire. No one. The intruder is actually going after the homeowner by invading their privacy, intentions unknown and since we are dealing with a felony, unlikely to be believed if when exposed announce they are only here to burgle.
You do not but because you do not does not give you the right to just shoot them. What if they are just wanting to steal something and you shoot and kill them? The fact that an intruder may attack you is why you do not confront them but call the police and find somewhere safe. Going after them is when they have not shown any harm to you yet you go and find them and shoot them. If a robber is downstairs stealing stuff and never comes upstairs to where you are what right do you have to go down and shoot that person? I am not against shooting an intruder but only if they threaten you and just breaking in your house is not a threat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 05:44 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,273,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
The problem with your logic you assume that Johnnie Junior just wants to steel your TV. Dealing with looters and in emergency situations most career criminals think they are entitled to your stuff. The other problem is when the police has arrived the damage is done. the investigation stops there and the Local PD recommend you use your Home Owners insurance.
Most cases Johnnie Jr. is a repeat offender and has seen a inside of a jail too many times. He does not want to back down , because of many states 3 strikes your out law. So we are not typically talking about the HS Quarterback trying to be in with his friends. We are speaking to real criminal element and they resent any who protects life and property,:think :
You assume they want to harm you or your family. Is it really worth killing someone if you are wrong?So you may lose some things you will live but you know who will not the person you shot and killed. All you wrote is assumptions you do not know what most robbers are.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:01 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicymeatball View Post
If someone breaks into your house, do they deserve death for it? Even if they're not even armed? There's been several stories in the news about teenagers who broke into old men's homes and were slain unnecessarily after the threat was neutralized and the general consensus was that the men were heroes for protecting their stuff.

Now I'm sure being burgled is traumatic, but is it really a greater evil than killing an intruder? Especially if there was no reason to do so aside from revenge? If so why not treat it the same as murder if apparently it's equally serious and make it a capital crime you can be executed for?
tell you what, someone breaks into my house, they are going to get shot, I don't care who they are, whatay expect, I'm supposed to yell out, "are you a teen?" before I shoot....

I swear! when they break in, you don't know if they have a weapon, you have no idea what they're intentions are....they have no business breaking into a home in the first place.....and yeah, I'm certainly going to protect my family and my home....they were not shot from revenge, they were shot, b/c they broke in someone else's home and the victim has no idea what the intruders intend to do, or how old they are, or even if they have weapons...how could you make such an irrational comment?

Old 02-18-2015, 06:02 AM

7,814 posts, read 6,389,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
You assume they want to harm you or your family. Is it really worth killing someone if you are wrong?So you may lose some things you will live but you know who will not the person you shot and killed. All you wrote is assumptions you do not know what most robbers are.
There is still a small chance they are there to hurt someone and by killing them you cut that risk to zero. The life of an intruder is not even worth a small risk.

Old 02-18-2015, 06:33 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:

Are you willing to take the risk to determine the robber's intent? Given that the robber is not an invited guest, how are we to know what the intentions are? I mean, if someone breaks into my house, I'm not going to sit their and ask if he'd like to stay for a cup of coffee. Furthermore, I value life, as well as the life of others. However; it's obvious that a robber does NOT value life, as in his life or the lives of others, because if he did, he wouldn't be partaking in criminal activities such as stealing! I would hope the day never comes where someone breaks into my house, but I can assure you that my family's well being trumps that of some scumbag SOB entering my home uninvited!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Are you willing to take the risk to determine the robber's intent? Given that the robber is not an invited guest, how are we to know what the intentions are? I mean, if someone breaks into my house, I'm not going to sit their and ask if he'd like to stay for a cup of coffee. Furthermore, I value life, as well as the life of others. However; it's obvious that a robber does NOT value life, as in his life or the lives of others, because if he did, he wouldn't be partaking in criminal activities such as stealing! I would hope the day never comes where someone breaks into my house, but I can assure you that my family's well being trumps that of some scumbag SOB entering my home uninvited!
Lets recreate the scene for her...or him?

It's dark and the middle of the night, so what are you supposed to do, you hear a noise downstairs, and you walk down the stairs with your gun in hand, only to find two people in your home, going thru your things...and stuffing your things in their bags....you have no idea, who they are, if they have a weapon, or what is next, are they going to come upstairs and cut your rings off your fingers, rape you, kill you, kill your kids?

So, are these people actually going to stop these men, and ask them what their intentions are? Crazy? absolutely Crazy....some people it seems, really and truly have lost common sense.

Old 02-18-2015, 07:13 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,836,106 times
Quote:
You do not but because you do not does not give you the right to just shoot them. What if they are just wanting to steal something and you shoot and kill them? The fact that an intruder may attack you is why you do not confront them but call the police and find somewhere safe. Going after them is when they have not shown any harm to you yet you go and find them and shoot them. If a robber is downstairs stealing stuff and never comes upstairs to where you are what right do you have to go down and shoot that person? I am not against shooting an intruder but only if they threaten you and just breaking in your house is not a threat.
I asked the question to your bold faced above in the previous post and you still have not answered.

I actually wrote exposed but confront can do because again the homeowner does not know the intentions of the felony intruder(that is what home invasion is a felony) and it may be a case of their life or the other persons partly for a reason I provided above. The burden and presumption of guilt is on the intruder not the homeowner.

At least in my state a person's premises cannot be entered by any party unless a court warrant is shown. A person is expected to have free movement throughout their house. It is their domain and no one cannot restrict their movement within their own domicile. You are providing extra-Constitutional rights to an intruder at the expense of the homeowner. DO you realize how comical (or perverted) your views are?

Your last sentence loops back to your first and to the previous paragraph which I responded to most others have as well.

I do have to ask you if you believe your opinion is providing privileges to a burglar at the expense of the home owner?

Last edited by Felix C; 02-18-2015 at 07:24 AM..

Old 02-18-2015, 07:18 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,985,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Lets recreate the scene for her...or him?

It's dark and the middle of the night, so what are you supposed to do, you hear a noise downstairs, and you walk down the stairs with your gun in hand, only to find two people in your home, going thru your things...and stuffing your things in their bags....you have no idea, who they are, if they have a weapon, or what is next, are they going to come upstairs and cut your rings off your fingers, rape you, kill you, kill your kids?

So, are these people actually going to stop these men, and ask them what their intentions are? Crazy? absolutely Crazy....some people it seems, really and truly have lost common sense.

Look, I understand that the thought of taking another's life is a horrible thing, and I hope that I am never faced with that situation. However; my family's well-being comes first. Here is a novel concept... don't partake in risky activities such as robbing people's homes, and you might not run the risk of being shot and killed! I can't say that I have too much sympathy for a robber that ends up getting wacked! Shouldn't have been there!

Old 02-18-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Look, I understand that the thought of taking another's life is a horrible thing, and I hope that I am never faced with that situation. However; my family's well-being comes first. Here is a novel concept... don't partake in risky activities such as robbing people's homes, and you might not run the risk of being shot and killed! I can't say that I have too much sympathy for a robber that ends up getting wacked! Shouldn't have been there!
totally agree with everything you have said, it just makes me want to literally beat my head against the wall at some of these comments, do you honestly think these people are for real?
Or are they trolling?

Old 02-18-2015, 07:24 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
<snip>
Sorry but I am not impressed by your excuse - it is just a cop out - an excuse for doing whatever you want regardless of how indefensible it is to afford so little concern with regard to the life of another. It is proper to expect killers to be held to account for how reasonable their claim of expectation of harm is. We'll simply need to agree to disagree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies