Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 08:21 AM

1,245 posts, read 923,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longford View Post
Maybe it's another example of Texas, right-wing justice. I wonder what race/ethnicity the woman was.

Have any evidence to back that claim up?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 09:31 AM

18,160 posts, read 15,628,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
I should really wait for further investigation, before judging. But you said it in a nutshell. Did it really have to take five freaking gunshot wounds.

This seems to be a pattern all over our Country, and in some cases many innocent victims being killed.
As I said earlier, this is how cops are trained to shoot. I am hard pressed to find any information on an LE shooting, past the 1970s, in which only one or two rounds were fired. Back when cops carried 357 revolvers a d the odd 45 auto, it was far more common to see less rounds fired.
The change to the "wondernines" , otherwise known as "crunchentickers", in the mid to late 80s saw LE turn from marksmanship to spray and pray. Out of 5 rounds here, how many actually hit the woman? The article said she was "wounded" so I'm thinking maybe one.
The woman must have gone down after that hit though, or I believe the officer would have kept shooting , pumping slugs from her hi cap Tupperware in 9 or 40, these being the trendy issue for cops. Either holds 15 trys for a hit and they carry two spares minimum.
Nevertheless, despite my disdain for police training and marksmanship, I leave room for doubt on her having no real choice here. People who's cheese has slid off their cracker waving a gun is bad JuJu. The decision to try and talk them down vs putting them down is not an easy fix. Yes, I've been there, and I didn't have to shoot. The disturbed lady had just pumped five rounds through a window at a McDonalds in Reno. I was only about ten yards away armed with a 45. Her gun was a snubby, I knew she was empty. I just walked up and she gave it to me with a beatific smile. That was an interesting statement I had to write.
Turns out she had been released from the mental hospital on Glendale a few blocks up only hours before. She bought the gun at a store a short walk from the choke n hurl. I may yet be able to find the story in the RGJs archives, though that was 1988. If she had been trying to reload, or had reloaded, instead of just stopping when the gun was empty, it may have had a different outcome.
But I sure wouldn't have felt like a hero. This gal was basically harmless.She had NO clue she could have killed people. No grasp of reality at all. She was gniggling like a schoolgirl blowing soap bubbles. The cops and I exchanged some interesting conversation.
I'm leaning toward this officer not feeling so well right now.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:17 AM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
When there is no competence, there's violence.

"Compete" is in that word.

Old 05-10-2014, 05:01 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Update:

Nephew said Aunt had gun and fired twice before the officer shot her.
Gun was found at scene.
93 year old was shot twice.

Texas Rangers are still investigating but the City Council couldn't wait.
They met this morning and fired the police officer.

Texas officer who shot armed 93-year-old fired | UTSanDiego.com

Old 05-10-2014, 06:32 PM

16,600 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
This is very sad....... She probably wasnt the same as the cop was! (race)
Classic
What on earth makes that relevant. If they were of different races, especially white cop and black victim, the liberal mentality is to assume racism unless proved otherwise.

This sounds fishy to me as 93 years olds are typically very frail and un-threatening. So if it was a bad shoot the LEO should be held accountable.
However we do not need any liberal racial speculation to bring in the race hustlers like Sharpton & Jackson.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:38 PM

1,070 posts, read 739,800 times
That's just plain stupid: firing the cop before the investigation is over. Let the city council members respond to 911 calls in the meantime.... Let's see how they would react to a gun pointed at them... Just dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Update:

Gun was found at scene.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:42 PM

Easy partner, it's very easy to judge when it is not you looking down the barrel of a gun.
Cop was fired at and responded with fire as many times as he feared that if he stops firing he will get shot himself. When your life is threatened by gun fire in close distance all you think of is to eliminate that threat by any means possible and as soon as possible. Remember all it takes is one bullet and you do t have to be a marksman to kill somebody.
We have some crazy laws here. How can you do your job as a cop if every wacko has a gun? Crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
When there is no competence, there's violence.

"Compete" is in that word.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:25 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,870,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Update:

Gun was found at scene.

So . . total shots fired, 7?

Did the old lady get her shots off before or after the cop arrived?

I didn't see many details reported in the story.

But, I still think a cop should have the skills necessary to, disarm and detain, without killing, especially a 93 year old woman.

I guess cops just aren't "people persons" these days.

Or, dog people!

It seems that cowardice is standard police training.

Didn't used to be that way.

Last edited by Hyperthetic; 05-10-2014 at 07:35 PM..

Old 05-10-2014, 07:33 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,291,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
I'm having a hard time thinking of a situation where an officer would need to shoot a 93 year old woman. Regardless the article offers very little details.
It is not the cops fault. This is the fault of every American who allowed this nation to become the seize and confiscate war on drugs police state it has become.

Old 05-10-2014, 07:34 PM

Cops just don't want do die trying do disarm somebody who is shooting at them. Sorry, you shoot at the cop at close distance and you will be shot as everybody, including cops have the right to defend their lives and the only way to do it in close distance is to shoot back as many times as it takes to make sure that the shooter will not shoot back and kill you. Does the age of the person who shot you make any difference? No. Anybody can pull a trigger and kill you. I think the general public watches too many movies where cops have superman abilities and are not afraid to die. The obe thing that is outrageous in this story is that the cop was fired BEFORE an investigation was concluded. I only hope that cops in Texas are unionized and he will get reinstated with the help of his PBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
But, I still think a cop should have the skills necessary to disarm and detain without shooting, especially a 93 year old woman.

I guess cops just aren't "people persons" these days.

Or, dog people!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies