Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 12:23 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,335 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
So you're saying that rural land is being used wisely and its a bad thing to expand into it?
If the people expanding upon that land expect urban level services, then I'd say it's a waste of land. But that's their choice to make. The whole point is to give people options to live based upon their needs.

It's curious how the default argument goes to NYC or Tokyo when discussing public transit and density. Yes, those extreme densities are what fuels two of the largest economies in the world, but that's not the density and economy of most cities in the world. Even transit friendly Europe isn't people stacked on top of each other in mega highrises. They're denser than suburban Dallas, but they aren't central Tokyo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 12:29 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,171,483 times
Quote:
So you're saying that rural land is being used wisely and its a bad thing to expand into it?
Suburbia consuming rural land is now considered "being used wisely." I bet rural people wouldn't agree when the suburbs encroach on rural land.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:33 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,859,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Suburbia consuming rural land is now considered "being used wisely." I bet rural people wouldn't agree when the suburbs encroach on rural land.
Well of course just like the so called environmentalists who don't want anyone else to move into their beautiful mountain top region. They were their first. It's theirs mentality.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Mon View Post
If the people expanding upon that land expect urban level services, then I'd say it's a waste of land. But that's their choice to make. The whole point is to give people options to live based upon their needs.

It's curious how the default argument goes to NYC or Tokyo when discussing public transit and density. Yes, those extreme densities are what fuels two of the largest economies in the world, but that's not the density and economy of most cities in the world. Even transit friendly Europe isn't people stacked on top of each other in mega highrises. They're denser than suburban Dallas, but they aren't central Tokyo.
In Europe isn't it more of a question on the cost of petrol compared to here? Isn't the reason for the default going to NYC because they have the most experience with it covering a wider range of problems?

Old 05-08-2014, 12:39 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
I have no idea how many miles away from the heart of NYC one lives when it becomes a pain to drive there. I've just heard people who live around the city at times do that. Just didn't know how many do that. Thx, always best to ask the natives.
Well driving into the heart of NYC is a pain in the ass regardless. The vast majority of people who work in NYC and live outside of it commute via railroad. That is why I did when I was working downtown Manhattan a few years ago.

That type of stuff also depends on the hours someone is putting in. My dad worked for a large bank in Manhattan and at quarter end they would get really busy and put in crazy hours (14-16 hour days). When he was doing that the bank would put up a bunch of the employees in Hotels in Manhattan for anywhere from 5-10 days. He retired in 2008, and the crazy hours they had to put in probably ended a good 5 years before that, but its the type of hours that some people in the financial industry might have to put in during very busy times of the year. In that case there might be some people who choose to stay in the city and do the apartment sharing.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:41 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
In some cases it is fine to expand into more areas, however in some cases it is just excessive sprawl that could have been reduced by smarter growth (Atlanta)

Old 05-08-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Well of course just like the so called environmentalists who don't want anyone else to move into their beautiful mountain top region. They were their first. It's theirs mentality.
Yeah, you tell that to someone who is watching suburban growth consume the rural land around them. I am sure they will have a welcoming response for you.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Yeah, you tell that to someone who is watching suburban growth consume the rural land around them. I am sure they will have a welcoming response for you.
It's not about me. Trying so hard to be right. Again you don't get it.

If individuals dont want suburbs encroaching into rural areas then dont sell the land.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:57 PM

Quote:
It's not about me. Trying so hard to be right. Again you don't get it.

If individuals dont want suburbs encroaching into rural areas then dont sell the land.
Haha, say that to the person who watches the suburbs encroach around his rural property because their neighbors sold out to the suburbs. The people in rural America are not fans of people in the suburbs.

Old 05-08-2014, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Haha, say that to the person who watches the suburbs encroach around his rural property because their neighbors sold out to the suburbs. The people in rural America are not fans of people in the suburbs.
Haha why does that matter? rhetorical, it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies