Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 10:44 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,356,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I'd like to shake the scientist's hand that was alive and well 800,000 years ago dutifully measuring CO2 levels in the atmosphere. Perhaps someone on this forum can arrange that meeting for me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
They were recently measured from ice cores.
Quote:
Same response to you:

That's what they tell you. They also know the average world citizen isn't educated enough to challenge this finding. Are you educated enough to challenge this finding? Didn't think so. Are you naive enough to take this finding at face value and run with it unchallenged? Sure sounds like it.

It's all part of an organized politicized agenda to tax more of your hard-earned dollars. Why can't folks see that?
No, not the average citizen, but even grad school students have the skills to analyze the collection methods, the data, and the data analysis. There are far more than enough people with the access to this information and the intelligence and knowledge neccesary to dispute it or confirm it to indicate that the small number of climate change skeptics are contrarians, often with more compelling special interests on their side.

UNLESS IT IS ALL A CONSIRACY!!!!! (The average undereducated world citizen may not be able to analyze archeo-climatological data, but they sure can get behind a conspiracy theory.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 11:34 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,782 times
Default China & India

Quote:
Originally Posted by All American NYC View Post
Climatologist James Hansen: Mother Earth may be getting ready to spank her most abusive children.
Well then you green guys should be making a case to china and India. The thing is they don't care.

We in American even with our cares have been cleaning up our act. People buying better cares, public trans is on the way back. US Industrial has some very regs they have to follow.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:40 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
I'd like to shake the scientist's hand that was alive and well 800,000 years ago dutifully measuring CO2 levels in the atmosphere. Perhaps someone on this forum can arrange that meeting for me?
I'd explain how these things are determined, but it'd be a wasted effort.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:42 PM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
400 ppm? And? I would be surprised if it went down... its what happens when you produce a lot of CO2... what does it mean? Absolutely nothing... going from 0 to 0.00001 means jack
You think so? Interesting. Where was your paper published? I'd like to give it a look.

Old 05-08-2014, 12:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,452,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
If the CO2 levels are the highest in 800,000 years - are temperatures the highest in 800,000 years?
No. The last eight interglacial periods have been warmer than the current interglacial period. The last interglacial period ended 115,000 years ago.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:59 PM

57,291 posts, read 26,206,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
And, of course, the liberals seem to forget that the world did not end 800,000 years ago, thus our current existence. If these levels of CO2 were so catastrophic and not a part of natural cycles, then CO2 levels should be several hundred fold higher now and we should all be dead. Yet.............we are not. That is an "inconvenient truth"; perhaps liberals should commit mass suicide to correct his dilemma.

The question as to whether the planet is warming or not has been answered.

The question as to whether CO2 warms the planet has not been answered.

The question as to what constitutes the predominant factors in climate and temperature change has not been answered.

The question that anything we do, if #1-#3 are true, to alter "climate change" has not been answered.

The question as to whether the "cure" is better than the "illness" has not been answered.
We know that CO2 levels were high and the plane was warmer thousands of years ago we do not know why, to assume that we can continue to warm our planet with 7 Billion inhabitants is irrational.

The planet is warming, all but the most extreme fringe element deny that fact.

CO2 does in fact cause warming, there is enough scientific evidence to believe that historic increases are the cause of the warming. Let's face it the only way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to some would be to shut off man made CO2 production for years to prove the point.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:01 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,452,677 times
Quote:
We know that CO2 levels were high and the plane was warmer thousands of years ago we do not know why, to assume that we can continue to warm our planet with 7 Billion inhabitants is irrational.

The planet is warming, all but the most extreme fringe element deny that fact.

CO2 does in fact cause warming, there is enough scientific evidence to believe that historic increases are the cause of the warming. Let's face it the only way to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to some would be to shut off man made CO2 production for years to prove the point.
Let's shut off the SUN and see what that does since you believe it has nothing at all to do with any changes in climate.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
They were recently measured from ice cores.
its not just ice cores, but deep ocean cores as well. that said however, co2 levels go up and down in cycles, they have since the first signs of life appeared on this planet that started producing oxygen.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:08 PM

5,210 posts, read 4,671,795 times
I'm quite over the entire global warming thing and try to ignore most news about it. It's not that I don't believe in the scientists, I actually do. I just have no faith that the human race will do anything to stop it. If or when climate change happens, it will become our reality.

Old 05-08-2014, 02:15 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,841,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adhom View Post
I'm quite over the entire global warming thing and try to ignore most news about it. It's not that I don't believe in the scientists, I actually do. I just have no faith that the human race will do anything to stop it. If or when climate change happens, it will become our reality.
the first question is, which scientists do you believe? some are in the AGW camp, some are in the natural event camp. and then there are those that see it from both sides, and realize that regardless of which camp they are in, they realize that things are not going to be as bad as predicted because they dont trust the computer models.

in the end though it is what it is, and all we can really do is go with the flow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies