Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 02:07 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,094,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleidd View Post
When does the law start to protect people from being fired for nothing more then expressing private opinons on issues that are at variance with your employer? Can we now justify firing people or forcing them to resign becaue the voted for a particular political party, or supported a particlar policy of a politician?

Imagine an employer walking thru his employee parking lot and firing people according to bumper stickers on their cars?
We always could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 06:54 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,069 times
Quote:
When does the law start to protect people from being fired for nothing more then expressing private opinons on issues that are at variance with your employer? Can we now justify firing people or forcing them to resign becaue the voted for a particular political party, or supported a particlar policy of a politician?

Imagine an employer walking thru his employee parking lot and firing people according to bumper stickers on their cars?
At-will employment: It's a conservative thing. Enjoy.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:24 PM

2,794 posts, read 4,154,124 times
Bummer. The good-lookin guys are always dumb, it seems.

Old 05-15-2014, 07:41 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,183,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
Yeah, but the gays are recruiting more and more people. It's rumored they get a free microwave for every 50 people they can recruit into their "army".

It's a CONSPIRACY!!!!!
I just recruited 10 formerly heterosexual men to the other side just this week. Only 40 more and I get that microwave!!! Whoo hooo It's just so easy... We will have our army soon and will take over the world. LOL

Old 05-15-2014, 11:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:

It does appear that many Americans celebrate the firing of individuals for expressing their views, even if those views are expressed off the job.

I think free-speech protections should be expanded to protect employees of private companies. Unfortunately, there's not much support for this.

Old 05-16-2014, 05:36 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,366,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
It does appear that many Americans celebrate the firing of individuals for expressing their views, even if those views are expressed off the job.

I think free-speech protections should be expanded to protect employees of private companies. Unfortunately, there's not much support for this.

Why would you advocate this?

So, if you were a business owner and one of your employees made public comments that would/could impact the success of your business in a negative way, you're OK with not being able to punish that employee?

That's something I'd expect to hear from a liberal, honestly.

Old 05-16-2014, 01:56 PM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
There was a conservative chain email indulging in just that fantasy shortly after Obama's reelection. And it's perfectly legal.

Old 05-16-2014, 06:39 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,595,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Private employer, private employee. 1st Amendment does not apply. If the boss saw fit they be canned, then that is their right as a private enterprise. Isn't that what you righties argue for all the time, for business owners to run their business as they see fit?
Nothing more needed to be said after this.

Old 05-16-2014, 08:59 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,657,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Why would you advocate this?

So, if you were a business owner and one of your employees made public comments that would/could impact the success of your business in a negative way, you're OK with not being able to punish that employee?

That's something I'd expect to hear from a liberal, honestly.
Well, guess what, I'm both liberal and conservative, depending on the issue. Some of us aren't so simple-minded about complex issues.

And yes, I do think that individual speech should be protected. The employer should have to show evidence that the employee's speech has harmed the business in some way in order to legitimately fire the employee.

It's unbelievable to me that some people think private businesses should own and control everything we say, write, text, or Tweet.

Old 05-18-2014, 01:56 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,079,539 times
Quote:
And yes, I do think that individual speech should be protected. The employer should have to show evidence that the employee's speech has harmed the business in some way in order to legitimately fire the employee.

It's unbelievable to me that some people think private businesses should own and control everything we say, write, text, or Tweet.
I totally agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies