Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 11:46 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times

Advertisements

U.S. businesses are being destroyed faster than they’re being created

2009, 2010 and 2011 -- businesses were collapsing faster than they were being formed, a first. Overall, new businesses creation (measured as the share of all businesses less than one year old) declined by about half from 1978 to 2011.

This lack of economic dynamism, particularly the steep drop since 2006, may be one reason why our current recovery has felt like much less than a recovery.

-------------------------------------

Declining Business Dynamism in the United States: A Look at States and Metros

Business churning and new firm formations have been on a persistent decline during the last few decades, and the pace of net job creation has been subdued. This decline has been documented across a broad range of sectors in the U.S. economy, even in high-tech.

In fact, we show that dynamism has declined in all fifty states and in all but a handful of the more than three hundred and sixty U.S. metropolitan areas during the last three decades.

So what this looks like is business startups have been down for three decades, but now there are more business closing up than normal.

Probably means big companies are doing well, small companies are hurting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 02:38 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
I absolutely hate that my only choices for the many products I buy are the same 20 or so big box or chain retailers that are found in every corner of the USA.

Most recently, my ire is directed towards Lowe's and Home Depot....and the lack of any other options outside of perhaps Ace Hardware.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:53 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,904,172 times
Notice how the data was cherry picked from 2008-2011 during the recession and its immediate after effects? Gee, why would a political astroturf group deliberately use old data from a recession (and the beginnings of the recovery from said deep recession) in order to push an ideological agenda?

Pretty obvious junk partisan "research". Which explains why it is in the opinion section rather than in real news, huh?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:56 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,113,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Notice how the data was cherry picked from 2008-2011 during the recession and its immediate after effects? Gee, why would a political astroturf group deliberately use old data from a recession (and the beginnings of the recovery from said deep recession) in order to push an ideological agenda?

Pretty obvious junk partisan "research". Which explains why it is in the opinion section rather than in real news, huh?
Blah blah blah. Shoot the messenger. Blah blah blah.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:01 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,161,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post

Gee, I wonder why businesses were failing in 2008-2011...I wonder if the OP has any idea what was going on during those years.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:09 PM

15,355 posts, read 12,638,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Blah blah blah. Shoot the messenger. Blah blah blah.
Blah blah blah? What type of rebuttle is this?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:40 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
I absolutely hate that my only choices for the many products I buy are the same 20 or so big box or chain retailers that are found in every corner of the USA.

Most recently, my ire is directed towards Lowe's and Home Depot....and the lack of any other options outside of perhaps Ace Hardware.
I can tell you about water pumps.....and tanks.

A few years back I asked one of our salesman from our supplier of professional water pumps and tanks why anyone should buy from a drilling company rather than a big box store......I noticed that they had a few of the same brands.

A few days later he told me to pick a brand....I did and we went to Lowe's.....we went in....bought the same water pump and model he had in his truck.

We went out of the store and took them apart on the tail gate of his truck.

They were not the same.

The one from the big box store has two less impellers...two parts were made into one plastic part.....it was just junk.

I learned a lot that day....brand name manufactures make lower quality items to stock these stores.

Ace hardware would not be any different.

Other things I do not know about.....this day we just looked at water pumps and tanks.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:45 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
U.S. businesses are being destroyed faster than they’re being created

2009, 2010 and 2011 -- businesses were collapsing faster than they were being formed, a first. .
Yes, those were tough years. How about now three years later?

Old 05-07-2014, 03:49 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,329,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, those were tough years. How about now three years later?
IMO....it would be worse.

I can tell you I would not start a new business now.

Old 05-07-2014, 04:06 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,597,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
IMO....it would be worse.

I can tell you I would not start a new business now.
Some people always find a reason to not do something.

8 out of 10 small businesses fail, and there is nothing new about that, but many people still take the chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies