Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:39 AM

924 posts, read 666,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Balance and transparency. Abuse of power can very easily occur in secret, but becomes much more difficult when exposed.
My point is you'd rather have Joe sixpack wielding a gun than a police officer who has been trained to so, all because of the potential for corruption.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:45 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,728,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecstatic Magnet View Post
My point is you'd rather have Joe sixpack wielding a gun than a police officer who has been trained to so, all because of the potential for corruption.
No, I would not.

Old 05-11-2014, 01:10 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Quote:
No, I would not.
Maybe he wouldn't but I certainly would....

NYPD: 9 shooting bystander victims hit by police gunfire | Fox News

Cleveland Police Shooting Investigate After Firing 137 Shots, Killing Two unarmed Suspects - YouTube

Cop shooting frenzy, 377 rounds fired at 2 unarmed men

Eight Police Officers Fire 103 Times At Two Unarmed Women Delivering Newspapers . . . Commission Rejects Calls For Any Officer To Be Fired Or Even Suspended | JONATHAN TURLEY

Many more where these came from. For being "trained to do so" there is certainly nothing that leads me to believe that police are any more qualified to carry a weapon than Joe Sixpack.

In fact I would wager most Joe Sixpacks weilding a gun are more proficient shooters than police. It's our hobby, we actually practice and have a desire to improve our skill set, it isn't just a part of the job.

Old 05-12-2014, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Maybe he wouldn't but I certainly would....

Many more where these came from. For being "trained to do so" there is certainly nothing that leads me to believe that police are any more qualified to carry a weapon than Joe Sixpack.

In fact I would wager most Joe Sixpacks weilding a gun are more proficient shooters than police. It's our hobby, we actually practice and have a desire to improve our skill set, it isn't just a part of the job.
I wouldn't put you in the category of "Joe Sixpack".

Old 05-12-2014, 08:25 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,780,332 times
Quote:
Just because incrementalism is a word, doesn't mean there's a century-long liberal conspiracy to disarm everyone.

Sigh.
You're going to have to stop using those big words if you want the conservatives to understand you.

Old 05-12-2014, 05:22 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,739,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
You're going to have to stop using those big words if you want the conservatives to understand you.
Sorry do you not study history?

Old 05-13-2014, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Just because incrementalism is a word, doesn't mean there's a century-long liberal conspiracy to disarm everyone.

Sigh.
You are correct. It's not a conspiracy. It's just a simple plan.

Old 06-02-2014, 04:27 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,763,165 times
Recently demonstrators have been showing up in various public places, including coffee shops and fast food restaurants, openly toting a variety of tactical long guns. Unlicensed open carry of handguns is legal in about half the U.S. states, and it is relatively common and uncontroversial in some places.

Yet while unlicensed open carry of long guns is also typically legal in most places, it is a rare sight to see someone sidle up next to you in line for lunch with a 7.62 rifle slung across his chest, much less a whole gaggle of folks descending on the same public venue with similar arms.

Let's not mince words, not only is it rare, it's downright weird and certainly not a practical way to go normally about your business while being prepared to defend yourself. To those who are not acquainted with the dubious practice of using public displays of firearms as a means to draw attention to oneself or one's cause, it can be downright scary. It makes folks who might normally be perfectly open-minded about firearms feel uncomfortable and question the motives of pro-gun advocates.

Old 06-03-2014, 04:54 AM

8,061 posts, read 4,882,876 times
Default We can be sheep!

Quote:
A great example of law abiding citizens defending themselves, 8 Minute latter the police shoed up!

Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 AM

7,359 posts, read 5,460,918 times
Quote:
Personally, I'd rather have both wielding a gun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies