Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 04:40 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Fox News didn't author the story.

But they broadcast it. If they didn't believe it, it wouldn't have aired.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2014, 04:43 PM

45,230 posts, read 26,437,203 times
You have to love our ruler hypocrites in DC lecturing we serfs on pollution while its empire pollutes and squanders resources more than any other entity in the history of the planet.

Old 05-09-2014, 04:53 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The Department of Defense paid $150 per gallon for alternative jet fuel made from algae, more than 64 times the current market price for standard carbon-based fuels, according to a report released on Wednesday.

The Government Accountability Office noted in its report that a Pentagon official reported paying “about $150 per gallon for 1,500 gallons of alternative jet fuel derived from algal oil.”

Report: Pentagon paid $150 per gallon for green jet fuel | Fox News
From your link....

The price for conventional jet fuel is currently $2.88 per gallon. GAO’s report reveals that federal agencies have paid significantly higher prices in an effort to promote biofuels in commercial and military aviation.
“Of the two alternative jet-fuel production processes approved for use in commercial and military aircraft (Fischer-Tropsch and HEFA), DOD, according to a DOD official, paid from about $3 to $150 per gallon,” GAO reported.

Hmmm...anywhere from $3 to $150 a gallon. How do we know they paid $150, as opposed to $7 or $28 or $40 ?

Old 05-09-2014, 05:03 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Hmmmmmmm.

40% from OPEC countries (mostly [shudder] Moooooslim), and 20% from Persian Gulf countries (100% [shudder] Moooooslim]).

Did you read your own source?
Do you understand what 40% is? Or 20% from gulf countries? It appears not. Let us drill our own and all will be well but as always you don't then scream we gotta get it from somewhere else. At least ND is opened up now. Need more. Or more algae. Yes Algae is going to power the US I guess in your mind? Wouldn't take a whole lot to up our output to make up that 20%. Greenies won't allow it though. Maybe if all the greenies stopped using power it would equal out and we could cut off the gulf? You be the first to start.

Old 05-09-2014, 05:16 PM

778 posts, read 823,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Do you understand what 40% is? Or 20% from gulf countries? It appears not. Let us drill our own and all will be well but as always you don't then scream we gotta get it from somewhere else. At least ND is opened up now. Need more. Or more algae. Yes Algae is going to power the US I guess in your mind? Wouldn't take a whole lot to up our output to make up that 20%. Greenies won't allow it though. Maybe if all the greenies stopped using power it would equal out and we could cut off the gulf? You be the first to start.
All will not be well. At the current rate of consumption, we've got about 50 years worth of oil left (at least that's what I have in my notes). And I'm not talking us, as the in U.S., I'm talking worldwide.

We need alternative fuel sources. We needed them decades ago. Now is the time to get creative. Algae fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-09-2014, 05:22 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,906,557 times
Hey, I'm the first one to say the military procurement process is broken and has excessively high mark ups by suppliers. Way back in 2004 when I was in Iraq our uparmored humvees were being filled with JP5 which the military was paying ~$100 per gallon to have delivered to our FOB. It literally would have been 20 times cheaper just to do what they did in Vietnam, Korea, and WW2 when we had draftees delivering this stuff with no mark up but the politicians wanted to make sure their cronies and campaign donors (read: Bribers) all got their beaks wet thus we were paying $100 per gallon for run of the mill generic JP5.

Out sourcing is rarely if ever cheaper for the military or for government in general but it does enable a huge amount of corruption and cronyism while politicians rewarding their donors with massively marked up no bid contracts. Everyone is happy except the taxpayers stuck with the bill. Both parties are to blame but I notice Republicans push this sort of stuff more often where as just keeping it in house would simply be cheaper. The entire government procurement process is entirely broken and needs to be replaced but this is the process lobbyists won't because this is how they rip taxpayers off for the maximum amount.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:01 PM

29,407 posts, read 22,003,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cephalopede View Post
All will not be well. At the current rate of consumption, we've got about 50 years worth of oil left (at least that's what I have in my notes). And I'm not talking us, as the in U.S., I'm talking worldwide.

We need alternative fuel sources. We needed them decades ago. Now is the time to get creative. Algae fuel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Ah yes the "peak oil" mantra. Hey I'm a fan of algea as it has promise but it aint gonna power our counrtry for years.........a lot of years. Can you make everything else oil makes out of algae? See the difference? Be one slippery road to drive on...........or should we go back to horseback.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Sounds like it's a lot cheaper than what they used to pay for fuel. It's well known that Pentagon is a mess and overpays for everything.

Pentagon Overpaid Billionaire Oilman By Up to $200 Million, Audit Finds | Fox News

Solution: The Pentagon Continues to Overpay for Everything; Let's Fix It

Old 05-09-2014, 06:10 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,219,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
1981-ish. I suspect you're old enough to remember.
Correct. In the data, it was all done item by item when billing. A requirement imposed by the FED. In other words The navy orders 3000 toilet seats. The navy is billed for 3000 toilets seats 3000 times on the same bill. Mots cases of being over billed were in fact a case of the notorious type o.
In most cases the error was discovered by military personnel, who then turned in the appropriate paper work. The offending company then refunded the over charge.
The same is true of the $200.00 hammer, screw driver what ever. The companies who were intentionally over billing for the most part were brought to justice.

Old 05-09-2014, 06:11 PM

778 posts, read 823,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Ah yes the "peak oil" mantra. Hey I'm a fan of algea as it has promise but it aint gonna power our counrtry for years.........a lot of years. Can you make everything else oil makes out of algae? See the difference? Be one slippery road to drive on...........or should we go back to horseback.
So what do you suggest we do when oil runs out? What should we be doing in the meantime?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies