Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 10:30 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times

Advertisements

Congratulations to Kristin and Jennifer who were the first same-sex couple married today in Arkansas.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...79324575_n.jpg

Old 05-10-2014, 10:32 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
It not marriage, a civil union. Is perfectly legal for peoples rights. Merely a business arrangement!

Does not hold with the Good Lord.

Marriage is One man One Woman!
Why are you talking about religion???

Civil marriage has nothing to do with religion. Civil marriage and religious marriage are separate, unrelated things.

Old 05-10-2014, 10:38 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,180,801 times
Quote:
It not marriage, a civil union. Is perfectly legal for peoples rights. Merely a business arrangement!

Does not hold with the Good Lord.

Marriage is One man One Woman!
Civil unions do not have the same rights and benefits as civil marriage does.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:06 AM

1,790 posts, read 2,051,858 times
Who gives a flying **** who people marry? Get a life.

Old 05-10-2014, 11:52 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
And as expected, the "Christians" still haven't told me how gay marriage violates their freedom to practice their religion.

*crickets*
You don't think forcing someone to do something against their beliefs is an assault on freedom of religion? Here is an analogy so maybe you can understand our perspective.

Let's take something that most people agree is disgusting - dog fighting. The government has now decreed that dog fighting is legal. Dog fighting is now everywhere in society. All over tv. Billboards. You can't escape it if you want to be part of society.

Furthermore, we now have discrimination laws regarding the dog owners. You can't refuse service to a dog fighter owner if you own a business. Food businesses by law must cater to dog fighting events if requested. A photographer must take pictures of the event, forced by government to witness the fighting. Otherwise, they will be fined heavily and probably lose their business. A CEO of a big company once privately donated to an organization seeking to bann dog fighting. It was discovered by the media and he was immediately stripped of his position.

Doesn't that sound like a loss of freedom to you?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:00 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,324,813 times
Quote:
What a waste. Society is sliding right in the Gates of the under world!
There is no Underworld. If there was, it would be on Google Streetview.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:07 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You don't think forcing someone to do something against their beliefs is an assault on freedom of religion? Here is an analogy so maybe you can understand our perspective.

Let's take something that most people agree is disgusting - dog fighting. The government has now decreed that dog fighting is legal. Dog fighting is now everywhere in society. All over tv. Billboards. You can't escape it if you want to be part of society.

Furthermore, we now have discrimination laws regarding the dog owners. You can't refuse service to a dog fighter owner if you own a business. Food businesses by law must cater to dog fighting events if requested. A photographer must take pictures of the event, forced by government to witness the fighting. Otherwise, they will be fined heavily and probably lose their business. A CEO of a big company once privately donated to an organization seeking to bann dog fighting. It was discovered by the media and he was immediately stripped of his position.

Doesn't that sound like a loss of freedom to you?

I think religion is stupid and harmful. Yet Christians RUN this country. But I'm not getting my panties in a wad about it. They have a right to exist.

And I'm not even going to respond to an analogy that compares granting civil rights to human beings to dog fighting. That's just disturbed.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:22 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
I think religion is stupid and harmful. Yet Christians RUN this country. But I'm not getting my panties in a wad about it. They have a right to exist.

And I'm not even going to respond to an analogy that compares granting civil rights to human beings to dog fighting. That's just disturbed.

I am using an analogy only to demonstrate how you would feel it if involved something you find wrong and disturbing. I am not saying gay people are just as bad as dog fighting, but it's obvious that your opinion is jaded by your contempt of Christianity.

If you think religion is stupid and harmful then tell me, what would you say to the victims of the Arkansas tornado who have lost everything but have their faith for hope and strength? Are you going say they are being stupid?

Old 05-10-2014, 12:42 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,774,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Congratulations to Kristin and Jennifer who were the first same-sex couple married today in Arkansas.

https://scontent-a-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/...79324575_n.jpg
I'm surprised they didn't put a stay on the ruling like the other states.

Old 05-10-2014, 12:45 PM

33,016 posts, read 27,458,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omaha hughes View Post
I'm actually bummed about this. I knew Nebraska wouldn't be a pioneer in the field, but I hoped we'd have it before freaking Arkansas

Pretty much everyone expected Nebraska to have it before freaking Arkansas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies