Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should concealed weapons be allowed on campus and should gun free zones be elminated?
Yes - those with CCW permits should be allowed on campus 31 55.36%
No - no concealed weapons should be allowed on campus 26 46.43%
Yes - the mall gun free zones should be eliminated 15 26.79%
No - Keep the gun free zones in malls 14 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 06:45 AM

2,011 posts, read 3,877,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
How would the criminals know who is armed if there were no laws forbidding people from being armed?

Does having 'gun free zones' in schools stop guns in schools?
If not, what is the point of the law?
Why haven't any of the victim disarmament bunch noticed that school shootings started AFTER the "Gun Free" laws went into effect? When I was a kid you could buy a rifle from an ad in the back of a magazine! You just had to state you were over 18 and it was sent to you in the mail. Guess what... NO school shootings. This is a very complex issue and the availability of guns is the LEAST of it. We need to find out what's gone wrong with these kids that their solution is killing people. This is much harder to do than blaming guns so the gun banners don't want to put forth the effort. Just blame the gun, not the person using it.

In many cases, these troubled kids were known to have mental problems or displayed some kind of warning behavior and it was ignored. Blame the gun though. Talk about simplistic and just plain stupid.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:47 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
Responsible people do not keep guns loaded while they are being stored. Responsible people will store their guns in a secure manner when they are not being carried or kept for immediate use (bedside stand for instance).

Didn’t I mention "mentally incompetent"? Like a college student being treated for depression? I went to college after 'Nam so I have never been a "depressed kid" because I was so damn glad to be alive and back in the world.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
Well, that's another aspect of this whole debate. I've been to countries where armed guards are omnipresent, or where people are always toting around shotguns, etc. These are INVARIABLY third-world countries with poor security situations, like Haiti. One of the supposed hallmarks of being in a developed country is that people are safe from that sort of insecurity. It is rather sad to realize that, in America, this may not be the case.

I mean, look at Japan. They have 128 million people, and only TWO last year were murdered by firearms. Could you imagine that statistic ever taking place in America?
It seems that as long as you're not killed by a firearm, it's OK. Try checking out their overall murder rate and suicide rate. Not too good now is it? You're just as dead from a knife, club,vehicle,or being beat to death. Also the asian countries have a vastly different set of morals and codes of honor, etc. That makes comparison to the west iffy at best.

Old 12-13-2007, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkTwain View Post
This is once again such oversimplified thinking, AGAIN based on NO FACTS other than what's in front of only my own nose. Without consideration of what happens when 'individuals' take this into their own hands. C-H-A-O-S..
WRONG,WRONG,WRONG!!! Every state that has implimented Shall Issue CCW laws have had theri violent crime rate drop faster than the national rate! This "Chaos" that you talk about it total fiction. Plus, as the national violent crime rate has been dropping, the ownership of firearms had been rising. Hmmmm more guns yet less violence. Go figure. Read John Lotts "More Guns Less Crime". It's an eye opener to you disarmamant folks.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,862,853 times
Quote:
There should have been more enforcers there with guns, all shooting at the same time, like in a Hollywood movie. The perp's body should have been shot so many times it had the consistency of wet bread. More guns everywhere are the answer.
I guess you have run out of emotion driven responses?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
College kids are not responsible adults yet (well not all of them are). See post 101. Lots of depression with these kids. One survey showed 1 in 3 around the nation suffer from depression at some point during their college.

Giving lots of depressed kids the right to all carry guns around together is not a good idea. Kind of like adding fuel to the fire. I would not feel good sending my kid off to college knowing lots of his classmates were packing. It would just cause lots of accidents, emotional shootings, and suicides.
You do understand that in most states to get a CCW requires actual effort and taking tests?

Also why isn't the same potential problems in the rest of society?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Responsible people do not keep guns loaded while they are being stored. Responsible people will store their guns in a secure manner when they are not being carried or kept for immediate use (bedside stand for instance).
What purpose does an unloaded firearm serve in your home?Or do you mean when stored in a safe?

I am presently less than five feet from a pistol(loaded), about ten feet from three semi-auto rifles(all loaded) and a Remington 870 shotgun(loaded again).

When we travel, we have a 12g shotgun(loaded) in the backseat and a pistol(either the 9mm or my wife's .357,all loaded) in the glovebox.

Of course the rifles and shotguns used to be in one area but then we remodeled and they are lying around the closet...

Old 12-13-2007, 07:51 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
You yet again missed the KEY POINT: those stolen objects are not specifically designed to be W-E-A-P-O-N-S.

With rights come responsibilities. I like that!

That "responsibility" got 23 people killed in a Luby's in Killeen, Texas, in 1991. If Texas had CCW laws at that time, Dr. Suzanna Hupp could have, and would have, saved her parents. By law, she had to keep her gun in her car. I guess the term "responsibility" bears a completely definition in this case.

What's the point of having rights if you can't even protect the ones you love?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:57 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,399,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
You do understand that in most states to get a CCW requires actual effort and taking tests?

Also why isn't the same potential problems in the rest of society?

Yes, and if I may bring up another point about Texas, only about 1% of citizens in this state actually have a CCW. Crriminals get their guns elsewhere, and any form of gun control won't solve that problem.

Old 12-13-2007, 08:16 AM

Just a suggestion to all my fellow gun owners and pro gun folks. Let's stop using the term: "gun control" and use the more proper term:"Victim Disarmament" which all these laws actually are. Thank you for your consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies