Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2014, 06:32 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,953,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
My school didnt fail me. I graduated high school with a College Preparatory Diploma in 2010 and graduated college last summer with honors.
Good for you........not the point. It appears college doesn't teach much to kids either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 06:32 PM

41,815 posts, read 50,883,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
One part of it that is often overlooked is how vouchers are allocated. Can anyone get one? If so, the money will quickly run out because kids who are already enrolled in private schools will be eligible and will be drawing from the pot of resources, potentially decimating public education budgets before a single student is relocated from a failing public school.
You overlooked the part about the voucher being used at either a public or private school.

The PA plan at first would have targeted just the worst districts in the state which were typically the poorest. I'm not sure it would have worked because they only would have had the state funding which is about $7K. How many of those students would have been able to find alternate schools is questionable. Assuming it did work well the district would of lost the state funding but since they are losing a student would of had more funds per student.

Under what I would suggest I'd give them the full amount which comes out to about $15K on average in PA. If you're in a district where the schools are good they should be fine and could even see an increase in students. Decimating failing districts under what I would propose is an intended consequence. It's unlikely the private sector is going to try and move in on districts performing well but instead go after the low hanging fruit in the worse ones. You'd have some kind performance threshold and those failing districts would eventually have to be dissolved.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:34 PM

29,460 posts, read 16,400,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Good for you........not the point. It appears college doesn't teach much to kids either.
It was his point. But you can pretend it wasnt. What ever makes you feel better.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:37 PM

29,409 posts, read 21,953,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You overlooked the part about the voucher being used at either a public or private school.

The PA plan at first would have targeted just the worst districts in the state which were typically the poorest. I'm not sure it would have worked because they only would have had the state funding which is about $7K. How many of those students would have been able to find alternate schools is questionable. Assuming it did work well the district would of lost the state funding but since they are losing a student would of had more funds per student.

Under what I would suggest I'd give them the full amount which comes out to about $15K on average. If you're in a district where the schools are good they should be fine and could even see an increase in students. Decimating failing districts under what I would propose is an intended consequence. It's unlikely the private sector is going to try and move in on districts performing well but instead go after the low hanging fruit in the worse ones. You'd have some kind performance threshold and those failing districts would eventually have to be dissolved.
Vouchers would cost a lot of bad teachers their jobs............why it is resisted. March on union........on the heads of children.

Old 05-10-2014, 06:50 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,681,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post

Under what I would suggest I'd give them the full amount which comes out to about $15K on average in PA. If you're in a district where the schools are good they should be fine and could even see an increase in students. Decimating failing districts under what I would propose is an intended consequence. It's unlikely the private sector is going to try and move in on districts performing well but instead go after the low hanging fruit in the worse ones. You'd have some kind performance threshold and those failing districts would eventually have to be dissolved.
I did address it, look back at my post.

Answer honestly - how openly would the people in your good school district embrace the idea of expanding to include an influx of students from surrounding districts that are failing?

Old 05-10-2014, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Answer honestly - how openly would the people in your good school district embrace the idea of expanding to include an influx of students from surrounding districts that are failing?
Wads of cash on the table is fairly good enticement and it's far more efficient to teach more students if you are getting the same per pupil. That said you wouldn't force a district into accepting anyone.

Like I said this is just an outline of what I would suggest, it's a starting point. There is huge amount issues that would need to be addressed. Special ed., transportation etc.

The bottom line for me is to get both public and private schools to compete for students. We have a vo-tech school here that all the districts in the area fund. Any student from one of those districts can go there. Let's expand on that, if you have multiple districts and private schools competing for students you have incentive for them to cater to the students needs. Perhaps one might focus on music and the arts, perhaps another may focus on science, another focuses on engineering...

Old 05-10-2014, 08:48 PM

31,927 posts, read 14,919,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KUchief25 View Post
Money...............is stopping.

Do you even know the dollar per student these states get? For public?

Now I sent mine to private but couldn't afford it anymore it's either grade and high school or college. I chose college and we went to a different district. You even have kids and understand what is going on in school?

My kids are so bored my son knows more about science then the teacher does in 8th grade. I sent an email to the admin who wanted to put him in detention for doing so and told her I would come and talk to her...........haven't heard back. Neither has he and still haven't heard back about any detention. These teachers are the bullies......many of em. When they get called on it they crap and run. It's pathetic. They think they can run around pushing kids. BS. I tell mine to always question if you have one............mine is smarter than them and they got mad.
A kid in my daughter's class was the same way. He was way smarter than everyone else and was bored so he acted up. And yes he got detention too. But teachers aren't bullies. They are dealing with 30 plus kids with different learning abilities. It's really difficult for one person to teach at every level. They need parent involvement. I always volunteered in my kids classes. I would either help with a group who had difficulty catching on or a group that was advanced. Parent involvement means all the difference.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:03 PM

7,242 posts, read 7,887,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Democrats are for making public schools better, not "protecting" them.
Exactly. Republicans are often for just eliminating education altogether or worse privatizing it so that everyone ends up paying for private religious schools often which are not even providing real education at all. No modern biology, no modern geology or physics or physical sciences, no science at all really, nothing but the bible and the claim that Jesus road dinosaurs. If you want your children to be such idiots then you're free to do so but stop demanding the rest of us pay for your private religious beliefs.

Old 05-10-2014, 09:05 PM

61,289 posts, read 87,214,458 times
Choice makes our universities the best on earth
Lack of choice makes k12 the worst
Let's change it
Voucher system

Old 05-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
Exactly. Republicans are often for just eliminating education altogether or worse privatizing it so that everyone ends up paying for private religious schools often which are not even providing real education at all. No modern biology, no modern geology or physics or physical sciences, no science at all really, nothing but the bible and the claim that Jesus road dinosaurs. If you want your children to be such idiots then you're free to do so but stop demanding the rest of us pay for your private religious beliefs.
Considering that Catholic schools make up the majority of religious schools in this country, have the same or better performance than public schools and teach all those things including evolution I guess you would be wrong yet again.

Comparing Catholic schools to public schools is somewhat of joke, even the worse ones are not going to come anywhere near the low performance levels at the worse public ones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies