Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2014, 08:01 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Non-proficient? Functioning below basic grade-level.
You still didn't answer. Why is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 08:04 AM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You still didn't answer. Why is that?
I did. With additional data. If you choose to remain willingly blind to our country's K-12 public school systems' inadequacies, that's on you.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
I did. With additional data. If you choose to remain willingly blind to our country's K-12 public school systems' inadequacies, that's on you.
You didn't.

Quote:
As I said.......if you would rather argue your agenda as opposed to what I said don't bother.

Do you believe that the unemployment rate is 6.3%?

Do you believe that real inflation is as low as the government claims?
But you are proving your point.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:11 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Democrats are why the schools are poor-performing. A dumb-down population is an easier to control and manipulate population. They generate voters for the democrats.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
But you are proving your point.
I've posted a lot of data to prove my point.

Your ridiculous assertion is that the government would release data that makes public schools look worse than you really think they are.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:21 AM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,053 times
Quote:
I disagree. Our country's post-secondary public education system proves my point. U.S. post-secondary public education has many of the best schools in the world because they compete for students who are free to choose, and the schools admit selectively.

U.S. public K-12 system overwhelmingly precludes such competition, free choice, and selective admissions. The result is that it lags the rest of the developed world.
Higher education in America, for the most part, selects students based on merit. If a private school is receiving public money through a voucher program, do you think that the school would be allowed to also weed out students based on performance? No. The federal government would sue any school that receives public money and has policies that have disparate impact on minorities. There have been decades of legal precedent that has shown this would happen.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:23 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,703,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
In the US, more money is spent on remedial students than is spent on advanced students based on the unproven belief that low performing students can be raised up to the level of high achieving students.
Indeed, the worthwhile objective is not anywhere near as loftily impractical as that. The purpose of remedial education is to raise low-performing students up to the level where they have a reasonable change of gaining access to the equal opportunity to being constructive members of society that can find employment that allows them to pay their own way and secure their own future, access society is obligated to ensure all have access to. Society is not fully satisfying its obligations in that regard, as it is, even if there are those among us who express a desire for society to do a worse job satisfying its obligations. Such nay-sayers are welcome to proposal alternative measures for satisfying society's obligation to facilitate access to the equal opportunity to being constructive members of society that can find employment that allows them to pay their own way and secure their own future, but not to abrogate such obligation simply because it is difficult and/or constrains what they want for themselves or the people they like.

Quote:
This has never been accomplished
And it is critical to condemn the use of the false dilemma fallacy - that which claims that if something isn't "accomplished" no progress toward accomplishment has been achieved - wherever it is used. Beside the vacuous nature of such black-and-white thinking, there is an import to even just stopping degradation, and even an import to slowing degradation - so many shades of gray between "accomplished" and the fallacious implication of worthlessness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
I've replied to your objection
And I made clear how your response was lacking. So we're done.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I've posted a lot of data to prove my point.

Your ridiculous assertion is that the government would release data that makes public schools look worse than you really think they are.
You still haven't answered. Why is that?

Old 05-11-2014, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Higher education in America, for the most part, selects students based on merit. If a private school is receiving public money through a voucher program, do you think that the school would be allowed to also weed out students based on performance? No.
Why not? Public universities do. And private college and university students, even the ones who attend religious-affiliated schools, receive taxpayer funding in the form of grants and scholarships.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:28 AM

Quote:
You still haven't answered. Why is that?
I have. You're choosing to ignore the data. That's on you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies