Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 08:50 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,824,857 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skye1974 View Post
Really, though, what difference does that make? I'm genuinely asking, not being sardonic.
Well, just as you cannot force charity, you really cannot force people to 'honor' black achievements.

There is also the matter of their achievements should stand on their own,a special month set aside shouldn't be needed really.

To make a special time for teaching black history would also seem to be a form of special treatment which isn't a very good idea in my opinion.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:58 AM

1,617 posts, read 2,632,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Well, just as you cannot force charity, you really cannot force people to 'honor' black achievements.

There is also the matter of their achievements should stand on their own,a special month set aside shouldn't be needed really.

To make a special time for teaching black history would also seem to be a form of special treatment which isn't a very good idea in my opinion.
Yes, the achievements should stand on their own, but for so long they haven't stood on their own which is why the event was created.

No one is saying that you can force people to honor achievements, but this is a way to inform others of a side of history that many may not know about.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:05 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,140,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
Good lord, what is wrong with you people? Why does everybody get so upset when Black people have their own little "something"? Because they would cry over a generic "white" month

Seriously, every other minority, ethnicity, sexual orientation in this country can have their own history month, parades, special events, etc and no one makes a peep. The only history month that is thrown in your face is Black History month. Parades and special events are ok because they are either for a cause (gay equality) - while "black parades" are generally a group of people pulling out the race card.

So what if Black History month is no longer needed (according to some folks)? Is an Asian history month needed? Nope. I don't think any group should be able to claim a month. If somebody really cared, they'd do all their own research.

Is an Irish parade needed? Is a gay parade needed? Irish parades celebrate Irish tradition. I don't see very many Black Parades that deal with the tribes of Africa

Is Cinco De Mayo needed? Is Telemundo needed? Cinco de Mayo is a holiday. Telemundo is programming Spanish. Until BET (or something like it) starts having programs in Swahili, then there's a difference.

I don't run out and cry when I see little Irish girls on tv doing their little clogging dance during their special month. No one seems to get offended when other cultures rep themselves but when When Black people do it, here come the crybabies. Let's see here, Irish-Americans celebrating their roots from IRELAND is a tad different than what I've seen of the black community. People wouldn't have a problem with black people on tv doing traditional dances of their ancestors in AFRICA

Its like some of you are actually personally insulted. Can someone please enlighten me as to why that is?
Many traditions have their parades and events to celebrate their heritage from their family's country of origin. Black are different. Their parades and events celebrate things done here in America rather than celebrating their African roots.

Black History month is about teaching about the horrible things that happened to people in America in a one-sided politically correct way. It is thrown in your face throughout all years of school. Teach me about Africa for Black History month. THAT is something that actually intrigues me.

Now, a question for you: When whites become the minority in America, can we have a White History month to celebrate the trials and tribulations of being suppressed in America from laws and regulations meant to give others priority over the "White man"?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM

1,085 posts, read 2,228,752 times
And who's really being forced except the school-aged kids that may have to sit in a class with pictures of Black people on the wall for the month or do a Black history-related play? Its not gonna kill them. Adults aren't forced to participate. You may see some commercials on tv or special tv shows but that's pretty much the extent of it. Its not like all Black people get the whole month off from work or get gas free for the whole month. Hell, I still have to work on King's holiday.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhct View Post
Yes, the achievements should stand on their own, but for so long they haven't stood on their own which is why the event was created.

No one is saying that you can force people to honor achievements, but this is a way to inform others of a side of history that many may not know about.
The event was created back in the 1920's....society has moved on just a tad from those days.

To me it appears to be more about giving one ethnicity special treatment and supposedly we are all about equality.

If we are all equal we cannot have one ethnicity receiving special treatment.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:11 AM

[quote=Kuharai;2233205]

Black History month is about teaching about the horrible things that happened to people in America in a one-sided politically correct way. It is thrown in your face throughout all years of school. Teach me about Africa for Black History month. THAT is something that actually intrigues me.
QUOTE]

That is just plain untrue! Here is a link that explains the origins of Black History Month:

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...storymonth.htm

Old 12-12-2007, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerP View Post
And who's really being forced except the school-aged kids that may have to sit in a class with pictures of Black people on the wall for the month or do a Black history-related play? Its not gonna kill them. Adults aren't forced to participate. You may see some commercials on tv or special tv shows but that's pretty much the extent of it. Its not like all Black people get the whole month off from work or get gas free for the whole month. Hell, I still have to work on King's holiday.
Why is it forced at all?

Shouldn't black history stand on it's own merits?

Don't get started on MLK day....

Old 12-12-2007, 09:14 AM

Quote:

Problem is, nowadays, those acheivements do stand on their own. Just about everybody who has been in public school in the past 5 years knows just about every significant even of the fight to freedom. Even without Black History month, I can recite the entire "I have a dream" speech.

And if we really wanted supreme equality between every race, color, gender, etc - then why is the government sponsoring and mandating a month to celebrate differences?

This is the year 2007. We have hit the 21st century. It's time to let go of all past discriminations and move on.

We celebrate, as a nation, a key man for freedom on January 15 of each year. Just as we celebrate our entire country's freedom for one day.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
That is just plain untrue! Here is a link that explains the origins of Black History Month:

http://inventors.about.com/library/i...storymonth.htm
The origins of Black History month and what is has become are two different things.

Quote:
And who's really being forced except the school-aged kids that may have to sit in a class with pictures of Black people on the wall for the month or do a Black history-related play?
I was one of those school age kids. In most classes, it was not just about having pictures on the wall. Each class tried ever-so-hard to show how "Blacks" had a good impact (can't have anything bad!) on said subject.

I was suspended for informing my ignorant class that, although MLK Jr had a big impact on freedom, that he also plaigarized more than the average college student. During a discussion about the "I have a Dream" speech, I provided articles, papers, books, and such from where over half the speech was directly stolen from.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuharai View Post

This is the year 2007. We have hit the 21st century. It's time to let go of all past discriminations and move on.
I agree with this statement, but unfortunately some people of all different ethnicities have not let it go, so there is still a need until that day comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies