U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 06:01 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,201,113 times

Advertisements

Wow this ACA is not finished yet, is it? Millions more could lose their healthcare plans. This is turning out to be "the gift that keeps giving".

Insurance execs: Millions of health plans to be canceled
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 06:48 AM

4,697 posts, read 5,820,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Wow this ACA is not finished yet, is it? Millions more could lose their healthcare plans. This is turning out to be "the gift that keeps giving".

Sometimes the source of such "news reporting" really does matter. And WND is a rag. Next to the article (I hope my computer didn't pick up a virus when I clicked on this link) are links to the following "reporting", and if people believe this stuff, then hopefully they will benefit from the mental health provisions of the Affordable Care Act.

As far as insurance companies cancelling health insurance plans, whether they are choosing to do so or are required by law to do so (in the case of health insurance plans that do not require the minimum coverage as per the Affordable Care Act), people will be able to obtain health insurance that does comply with the law through the state exchanges.

Attorneys: Constitution silver bullet for Obamacare
Could Obamacare's origin mean its end?
Conservative firebrand: GOP can repeal Obamacare
Rove not happy with Obamacare white flag
'Illegal secrecy' shields Obamacare workers
James Dobson: Striking Obamacare mandate a 'victory'
James Dobson wins Obamacare reprieve
Details on employer 'mandate' kept hidden
Obama admits waging 'war on men'

Etc., etc., etc.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:57 AM

13,893 posts, read 12,228,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Sometimes the source of such "news reporting" really does matter. And WND is a rag. .
Is it fair to assume you didn't watch the video which proves the content of the thread title?

Or are you merely trying to deflect?

0bamacare is a massive FAIL.

/end

Old 05-11-2014, 07:14 AM

10,707 posts, read 5,471,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
Sometimes the source of such "news reporting" really does matter. And WND is a rag. Next to the article (I hope my computer didn't pick up a virus when I clicked on this link) are links to the following "reporting", and if people believe this stuff, then hopefully they will benefit from the mental health provisions of the Affordable Care Act.

Etc., etc., etc.
Though you reject the source, interesting that you don't deny the fact that millions of policies will be cancelled when the 'grandfathering' ends. If Obama decides after the 2014 election to end the 'grandfathering',' the cancellations will happen next year.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:48 AM

2,672 posts, read 2,437,937 times
How many policies were cancelled previously? It wasnt millions and millions. It was more like 1.2 million. One of the execs towards the end mentioned that 99% of his policies were compliant with the ACA originally. Most private policies have a much higher actuarial level than ACA policies. The average actuarial level of an ACA plan is around 70% and for private plans its about 85%. The policies that are non-compliant are missing one of the essentials like mental health care or prescription coverage. To add one of the essentials requires a letter of cancellation be sent out announcing a change in the policy. A lot of states like California and Washington are already 100% compliant.

The Republicans who were running this congressional hearing ended up eating crow. They started the hearing with the premise that only 67% of ACA enrollees had paid their premiums. The insurance execs then told them it was in the 80-90% range. Cory Gardner then goes off on his Obamacare rant asking questions that they werent prepared to answer. The hearing remember was about how many paid for their insurance. WND seems to be the only one that picked up this edited piece. The whole hearing was probably an embarrassment for the Republicans.

Old 05-11-2014, 04:29 PM

1,103 posts, read 607,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
Is it fair to assume you didn't watch the video which proves the content of the thread title?

Or are you merely trying to deflect?

0bamacare is a massive FAIL.

/end
Obamacare failures has to do with it being built upon the existing healthcare system.

When you country still isn't allowed to negotiate prices for prescriptions, when you still have bean counters/multimillionaire dollar health insurance CEO's dictating your health and when you still have hospitals charging and arm and a leg, than yes, it is a failure.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:24 PM

30,632 posts, read 18,014,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxr89 View Post
Obamacare failures has to do with it being built upon the existing healthcare system.
Unfortunately, it's much worse than that.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:35 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,517,442 times
It was only those who purchased individual (non group plans) who had the mandate apply for them. They made up about 5% of the total people who were insured. Businesses were exempted for 1 year. That exemption ends 1/1/15, hence many more people are expected to lose their plans. Also the SHOP exchanges open for enrollment for next year making it more appealing for businesses to dump people onto the exchange as it will be cheaper for them to pay the penalty than the premium.

UOTE=borregokid;34750172]How many policies were cancelled previously? It wasnt millions and millions. It was more like 1.2 million. One of the execs towards the end mentioned that 99% of his policies were compliant with the ACA originally. Most private policies have a much higher actuarial level than ACA policies. The average actuarial level of an ACA plan is around 70% and for private plans its about 85%. The policies that are non-compliant are missing one of the essentials like mental health care or prescription coverage. To add one of the essentials requires a letter of cancellation be sent out announcing a change in the policy. A lot of states like California and Washington are already 100% compliant.

The Republicans who were running this congressional hearing ended up eating crow. They started the hearing with the premise that only 67% of ACA enrollees had paid their premiums. The insurance execs then told them it was in the 80-90% range. Cory Gardner then goes off on his Obamacare rant asking questions that they werent prepared to answer. The hearing remember was about how many paid for their insurance. WND seems to be the only one that picked up this edited piece. The whole hearing was probably an embarrassment for the Republicans.[/quote]

Old 05-12-2014, 12:15 AM

13,600 posts, read 8,497,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post

Uh, call me stupid but don't insurance policies cancel everyone's policies at the end of the year and issue new ones with slight modifications? I know that every year when I had employee provided insurance, I received a new policy every year. It came in a folder that said, "You're new coverage for year, 20-- is enclosed. Please review, as there are changes in coverage and pricing."

Is this what you're talking about? Or is it more of a matter of the clock running out on "teaser coverage" that cost next to nothing and provide's next to no coverage?"

Which sky is falling this time, O great World Net Daily?

Old 05-12-2014, 12:20 AM

3,216 posts, read 1,993,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Uh, call me stupid but don't insurance policies cancel everyone's policies at the end of the year and issue new ones with slight modifications? I know that every year when I had employee provided insurance, I received a new policy every year. It came in a folder that said, "You're new coverage for year, 20-- is enclosed. Please review, as there are changes in coverage and pricing."

Is this what you're talking about? Or is it more of a matter of the clock running out on "teaser coverage" that cost next to nothing and provide's next to no coverage?"

Which sky is falling this time, O great World Net Daily?
The new concern is that many of the employer based insurance polices are not in compliance with the ACA and will be cancelled accordingly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies