Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 05:26 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
... yes just what the nation needs, more celluloid heroes selling red-meat fantasy flicks.

Guess you left out the part about, getting back to our regularly scheduled program.
But, John Wayne is a nice diversion from the Constitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 05:31 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapaport View Post
Jefferson thought the dead should not rule the living, thus constitutions should expire frequently, but the fact is that the U.S. Constitution quickly became enshrined by the public and is the oldest constitution in the world,” said Zachary Elkins, a professor of political science at Illinois.
No it should not expire, your rights do not expire just because of the date.

How are your rights any less meaningful in this day and age?

Old 05-12-2014, 06:18 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,098,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
No it should not expire, your rights do not expire just because of the date.

How are your rights any less meaningful in this day and age?
I'm not sure expire is the correct word. Jefferson believed that the Constitution should be rewritten every 19 years. He believed people should consent to their governing document, not be subjected to it be force. To him, this meant each generation needed to craft their own.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:24 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I'm not sure expire is the correct word. Jefferson believed that the Constitution should be rewritten every 19 years. He believed people should consent to their governing document, not be subjected to it be force. To him, this meant each generation needed to craft their own.
This is a problem with that, most generations are morons, I am 23 and I can say I would not trust 97.9% of my generation with a ballot let alone the power to write a constitution or anything near something its power of the rule of law.

Time advances human nature and it flaws are part of the human condition, the only way we can constrain them is to constrain power to those in power and to all those who would and will seek it.

Old 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM

4,983 posts, read 3,290,251 times
The constitution is the paper lawyers,politicians,and judges wipe their buttocks with.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:27 PM

9,763 posts, read 10,525,531 times
The Constitution clearly states that presidents from the Democratic Party are tyrants. PERIOD!

Old 05-12-2014, 10:17 PM

5,208 posts, read 4,669,806 times
I really wish the founding fathers would have indicated somewhere they were inspired by God to create the Constitution to quell all the clamoring for the application of common sense to clauses in this document that no longer suit the times. I mean just like the Bible, how can this document ever be wrong?

Old 05-12-2014, 10:24 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,838,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Constitution reads pretty easy and the only thing that gets misinterpreted is the language used then, compared to the words we use today.

Many here in the USA and especially citizens of this nation, think the US Constitution are the rules that govern, We The People.

Far from it. The US Constitution are the rules.... the chains, We The People, placed upon the Federal Government, for it to even exist.

It is very clear in the liberty We The People are to keep, no matter what, to stay a free society.

It is very clear as to what our Freedom & Liberties are, as given to us all by our creator.
It is also very clear if they get so powerful by taking liberties, we the people said were untouchable,is to happen.

Take our liberty and we change it peacefully, or by blood.

Give me liberty, or give me death.
Then why do we need a supreme court for so many experts to argue about its clauses. Its why it called living document :IMO. It can be applied to life in 2014 as it was n 1776. Applying 1776 meaning to liberty does meaning much now days as to meaning of liberty has known then. If it was then Lincoln was wrong in what it meant.

Old 05-13-2014, 02:51 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Guess you left out the part about, getting back to our regularly scheduled program.
But, John Wayne is a nice diversion from the Constitution.
Well I have to confess that my of my favorite movies of all time are "She Wore A Yellow Ribbon" and "The Quiet Man."

Old 05-13-2014, 02:58 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
The constitution is the paper lawyers,politicians,and judges wipe their buttocks with.
Well if that is the case then it was written on toilet paper to begin with since it isn't the freaking 10 Commandments handed down from on high but rather the work of politicians, lawyers and judges who made many political compromises to craft a document that most could agree on and like other political documents folks read into it what they like and ignore what they don't, some didn't agree with any of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies