Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on smoking bans?
For smoking bans 114 66.28%
Against smoking bans 41 23.84%
No opinion either way 17 9.88%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2014, 07:09 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
Not in this State. Only inside enclosed buildings. If you want to burn one on the courthouse steps...go right ahead.
Which state are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2014, 07:14 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Man Walking View Post
Well, they seemed to have won in regular
cigarettes and pipes, stogies.
Sure they've won and will continue winning more than likely. That's what happens when you have a brainwashed public that has been coerced in to hating an activity and anyone who partakes in said activity.. Just look at some of the hateful intolerant responses on this thread even. The anti-smoking crusade of the 20th-21st century is one of the biggest witch hunts in human history.

Quote:
So far as of this writing e-cigs are still legal everywhere for smokers who
don't want to be shamed and forced to stay inside their house..
Actually, that's inaccurate. A few states have included e-products in their state tobacco smoke bans. I think NH is one of them, not sure though. A few cities have as well, NYC and LA among them.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Believe it or not, I'd actually support a smoking ban on public sidewalks before I would support a ban that extends in to private businesses. Unlike private businesses, sidewalks truly are a public place, where every member of the public has a legal right to be, and they are funded with tax payer dollars. Therefore, the people, through their local government, have a right to enact smoking bans in those places.

Although I will note that I think smoking bans in outdoor locations are extremely silly and asinine. When we live in a free society, we agree to put up with some things that other people do that we don't like or find annoying in order to maintain that freedom....
All drug use that emits its contents into the air should be done on private property.

I have no problem walking down the street on a sidewalk (public) and right past a guy shooting heroin into his vein.

Can't litter and drip blood all over the sidewalk not to mention obstruct traffic but it has no bearing on me.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:18 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,424,323 times
I am a smoker and I'd prefer to eat without a bunch of smoke hanging in the air..

Old 05-11-2014, 07:24 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,896,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caligula1 View Post
I am a smoker and I'd prefer to eat without a bunch of smoke hanging in the air..
I used to be a smoker as well and I also preferred to eat in places where there weren't people smoking. I couldn't stand it. It suffocated me.

That said, far be it for me to tell a business owner he has to accommodate me. If I go to a restaurant, I'll go to a place that doesn't allow smoking, I wont demand that they quit allowing people to smoke if that's how they want to run their business.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:30 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
I don't smoke but I voted "Against smoking bans" because I don't like the government interfering in my life and banning any thing that I may like to do..
Exactly. I don't smoke, but a restaurant owner should be able to make that decision.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:32 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
I can go for smoking sections in restaurants, a smoker shouldn't have to walk all the way outside to light up just because some wussy like me can't stand his smoke.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:38 PM

9,138 posts, read 5,803,654 times
It should be up to the restaurant.
I don't wanna smell smoke while I eat,
but I am against smoking bans.

Old 05-11-2014, 07:47 PM

1,956 posts, read 3,635,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
Sure they've won and will continue winning more than likely. That's what happens when you have a brainwashed public that has been coerced in to hating an activity and anyone who partakes in said activity.. Just look at some of the hateful intolerant responses on this thread even. The anti-smoking crusade of the 20th-21st century is one of the biggest witch hunts in human history.
Oh boo hoo. Smokers are so persecuted for not being able to inflict their smelly, cancer-causing, asthma-triggering habit on others wherever they want. Let me play the world's smallest violin for them.

I grew up in a nonsmoking family in the 70s and 80s, when most restaurants allowed smoking. The best you could hope for when eating out was that the smoking section was empty and the smell of stale cigarette smoke hadn't permeated everything on the premises. Because of this, we didn't eat out much. It was a waste of money when your eyes were watering and all you could taste was smoke. I vividly remember a few times when we walked in, smelled the air and went right back out. Our community was one of the first to ban smoking in restaurants back in the early 90s, and it was a huge relief.

I see some of the people in this thread stumping for leaving it up to the business owners to decide were complaining in another thread awhile back about businesses banning customers from bringing guns onto the premises. So business owners having the right to decide whether they allow smoking or not = good. Business owners having the right to decide whether they allow guns or not = bad.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
I can go for smoking sections in restaurants, a smoker shouldn't have to walk all the way outside to light up just because some wussy like me can't stand his smoke.
As long as all patrons and employees are made aware that these sections exist prior to eating/working I'm fine with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies