Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 11:28 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times

Advertisements

First of all, I consider myself an independent. I've voted for both liberals and conservatives, it depends on the candidate, not the party. I know both liberals and conservatives in my family, at work and among friends. With that dynamic, I've noticed that liberals are far more intolerant of opinions counter to their own.
If I bring something up that a conservative disagrees with, they pretty much accept it, offer their reasons for disagreeing and move on. If I do the same with a liberal OH MY GOD! You would think I were insulting their mother. They immediately see it as their job to "correct" me or show me the error of my ways. There is no room for discussion or even friendly debate. It gets so that I never bring up or participate in any discussion about politics with liberals in my life because either I am agreeing with things I don't agree with just to keep the peace or I am arguing with them because they can't stand to hear someone express an opinion that they disagree with.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:37 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
You want to know the truth?

It is because liberals are right and conservatives are wrong. It has always been that way. Make a laundry list of accomplishments from liberals and compare it to conservatives. Here are a few that come to mind.

Liberals:
-5 day work week
-civil rights
-worker benefits / compensation /disability
-women's suffrage
-Food, drug, safety, and environmental agencies to regulate practices that compromise public health
-public transportation
-Federal Student loans
-social security, medicare, medicaid
-farmers home administration
-car safety standards

etc., etc., etc. (feel free to add to this list)

Conservatives:
<cricket sound>

The more detailed response is the following:

Conservatives are more likely to have opinions based on (mostly religious) beliefs that usually pander to authoritarian negative stimuli. Conservatives like to construct a world(view) that makes the believer feel comfortable. Any discomfort is viewed as a threat. Liberals are more likely to have "beliefs" that stem from logic, science, and research. Research, logic, and science trump ideology because that is how mankind grows. We grow through learning, adapting, and confronting our issues. We don't grow through regressing further into a box.

To answer my initial question: Conservatives have a track record of zero. History says the liberals are right.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:39 AM

2,777 posts, read 1,782,427 times
This forum is plastered daily with threads where right wingers complain about how liberals are destroying the world and need to be stopped, Obama is going to be impeached, etc... that's not exactly a model of tolerance. If you were paying attention instead of choosing sides, you would probably know this. Maybe the reason their words affect you so much is because you disagree, and it makes you angry that they don't blindly agree with you.

The reason you think liberals are less tolerant is because you hold them to higher standards in the compassion department... right wingers are 'supposed' to be intolerant and judgmental, while left wingers are 'supposed' to be universally caring and accepting. So when right wingers are intolerant they're just being right wingers, but when left wingers are intolerant (usually of things that are opposed to their beliefs), they're not fitting into the neat little categories through which you attempt to understand your world.

Just because someone is on the left, it doesn't mean they need to be okay with homophobia or sexism or racism or denialists regurgitating oil company propaganda.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:40 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,264,225 times
They're not. Bigots just say that to deflect attention from their bigotry as they become more and more isolated from civilized society.

"Wahhhhh! All those fun gay jokes and ni&&er jokes I used to make get me in trouble with other people now! It's fascism! It's the PC police! It's LIBRULS!!!!!!"

Also, conservatives are wrong.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:41 AM

1,970 posts, read 1,762,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

It is because liberals are right and conservatives are wrong. It has always been that way. Make a laundry list of accomplishments from liberals and compare it to conservatives. Here are a few that come to mind.

Liberals:
-5 day work week
-civil rights
-women's suffrage
-Food, drug, safety, and environmental agencies to regulate practices that compromise public health
-public transportation
-Federal Student loans
-car safety standards

Conservatives:
<cricket sound>

Conservatives are more likely to have opinions based on (mostly religious) beliefs that usually pander to authoritarian negative stimuli. Conservatives like to construct a world(view) that makes the believer feel comfortable. Any discomfort is viewed as a threat. Liberals are more likely to have "beliefs" that stem from logic, science, and research. Research, logic, and science trump ideology because that is how mankind grows. We grow through learning, adapting, and confronting our issues. We don't grow through regressing further into a box.

To answer my initial question: Conservatives have a track record of zero. History says the liberals are right.
Just proof of what the OP says. Thank you for that.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:42 AM

46,312 posts, read 27,117,053 times
Gee whizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, the OPs point proven....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
They're not. Bigots just say that to deflect attention from their bigotry as they become more and more isolated from civilized society.

"Wahhhhh! All those fun gay jokes and ni&&er jokes I used to make get me in trouble with other people now! It's fascism! It's the PC police! It's LIBRULS!!!!!!"

Also, conservatives are wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo View Post
This forum is plastered daily with threads where right wingers complain about how liberals are destroying the world and need to be stopped, Obama is going to be impeached, etc... that's not exactly a model of tolerance. In fact, the entire internet is like that.

The reason you think liberals are less tolerant is because you hold them to higher standards in the compassion department... right wingers are 'supposed' to be intolerant and judgmental, while left wingers are 'supposed' to be universally caring and accepting. So when right wingers are intolerant they're just being right wingers, but when left wingers are intolerant (usually of things that are opposed to their beliefs), they're not fitting into the neat little categories through which you attempt to understand your world.

Just because someone is on the left, it doesn't mean they need to be okay with homophobia or sexism or racism or denialists regurgitating oil company propaganda.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opin_Yunated View Post

Liberals:
-5 day work week
-civil rights
-women's suffrage
-public transportation
-Federal Student loans
-car safety standards

Conservatives:
<cricket sound>

Old 05-12-2014, 11:43 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,584,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voiceofreazon View Post
First of all, I consider myself an independent. I've voted for both liberals and conservatives, it depends on the candidate, not the party. I know both liberals and conservatives in my family, at work and among friends. With that dynamic, I've noticed that liberals are far more intolerant of opinions counter to their own.
If I bring something up that a conservative disagrees with, they pretty much accept it, offer their reasons for disagreeing and move on. If I do the same with a liberal OH MY GOD! You would think I were insulting their mother. They immediately see it as their job to "correct" me or show me the error of my ways. There is no room for discussion or even friendly debate. It gets so that I never bring up or participate in any discussion about politics with liberals in my life because either I am agreeing with things I don't agree with just to keep the peace or I am arguing with them because they can't stand to hear someone express an opinion that they disagree with.
As you were saying???

From the responses so far, it would appear your hypothosis is accurate.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:44 AM

7,846 posts, read 6,407,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MORebelWoman View Post
You are free to tackle any sentence in that post. I said it for a reason.

There seems to be a double standard because there is. Liberals get a pass because they are always more right than conservatives. History is written by the victors. Guess what? The victors have always been liberal. If they were conservative we would still be living in the stone age. That is a fact.

There is no progress without progressives. Feel free to list any conservative contributions to human society. Might I remind you, conservatives have kicked and scream at every positive change ever made, including civil rights.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,411,909 times
Quote:
Indeed. Proof that you cannot rebut what he says.

Conservatives are sure showing a lot of butt hurt these days, once people began challenging them and calling them out for the kind of mind blowing ignorance that you used to be able to spew with impunity.

You want to be able to say what you want, when you want, to whomever you want.... but you don't want to be challenged or taken to task.

This is America. You have a right to an opinion. You do not have the right to have your opinion respected, accepted or held in equal light to every other opinion in the world, unless the issue is really insignificant. Like Coke v. Pepsi.

If you find yourself fighting a never ending battle, you might want to evaluate how or why people find your perspective to be so marginal.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:45 AM

1,824 posts, read 1,372,412 times
Quote:
Yeah, exactly! The arrogance is nauseating.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies