Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2014, 12:32 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty011 View Post
It was gross. Fine me.
I remember when John McEnroe was banned from the Wimbledon Tennis Club for refusing to bow to British Royalty. I have respected him for that ever since. If we believe in something we have to stand for it, even if there are consequences. Opposing the spread of the acceptance of immorality is worth paying a price.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:37 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I remember when John McEnroe was banned from the Wimbledon Tennis Club for refusing to bow to British Royalty. I have respected him for that ever since. If we believe in something we have to stand for it, even if there are consequences. Opposing the spread of the acceptance of immorality is worth paying a price.
The difference is that this player wasn't standing for what he believed in. He was a hypocritical fraud. If he wanted to stand for what he believed in, he would not have agreed to the NFL playbook and signed the contract in the first place. But, instead, he decided to support the NFL and agreed to follow the rules. That's the issue here.

The issue is not what the player said.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:43 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
Really? You respect someone for being completely disrespectful on foreign soil to one of the most precious cultural icons that country has?

Jesus. Sometimes I have to breath and remember not to take you people seriously.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 AM

5,365 posts, read 6,333,532 times
Quote:
It is not immoral to be an "N-word". It is immoral to commit homosexual acts.
Do you need a refresher on the Curse of Ham?

Old 05-14-2014, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
BAN for life, IMO. This is worse than a white person saying the N-word.
No, it's not. Saying the N-word is demeaning and offensive (I'll buy that context matters). Expressing an opinion by calling something gross... is just expressing an opinion.

What is bad is that this player breached a contract.

Quote:
It is not immoral to be an "N-word". It is immoral to commit homosexual acts.
Well, in the Middle East, yes, it's immoral to commit a homosexual act. Perhaps you and Al Qaeda have a lot to talk about. However, in the US, it's not immoral.

Old 05-14-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Really? You respect someone for being completely disrespectful on foreign soil to one of the most precious cultural icons that country has?

Jesus. Sometimes I have to breath and remember not to take you people seriously.
I find it odd that you referenced this Jesus, the carpenter that lays on a ****** which is often in many homes and churches... that many people DO bow down to.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:09 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,371,160 times
Quote:
Where he's in real danger is on the field where a hit to intentionaly injure is considered part of the game. He'll be a target.
I do not think he will be in such danger or such a target. You are assuming the bigotry of the general population is equally represented on the field. I do not expect it is.

Further even if your assertion were true. So what? This is entirely his choice to make. Not ours to make for him.

Further again, even if what you said were true that intentional injury was part of the game, then this point is entirely irrelevant to homosexuality. The point IS relevant to the game and the ethics of the sport and its rules. If what you say is true in other words then the issue is with the sport, not the sexuality or bigotry of the players.

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
not everyone is going to be supportive of homosexuality.
Nor are they required to be in many situations. For the most part they are just required to butt out and mind their own business. If a sporting personality after a big win wants to engage in a PDA with a same sex partner.... especially when all the sports people on their team are doing the same with their partners..... then people at home are required to do nothing.... nothing at all.... but simply butt out.... build a bridge.... and get over it.

Some people simply can not do it though. This "If I do not want to engage in it..... no one else should....." mentality is too pervasive in our species.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigantown View Post
WTF was this topic really worth this many pages.
It is a sad state of affairs that it REQUIRES any pages at all. But until such time as homosexuality is something we realize and accept as normal and harmless, ever page.... nay every post.... on a discussion like this is warranted.

The fact is that homophobes and bigots exist. The fact however also is that slowly, incrementally, homosexuality is becoming more and more accepted and less and less demeaned. And this is a good thing. Every conversation anywhere on the subject helps this. Discourse above all is the best human tool of change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SourD View Post
Pretty soon only homos will be watching the NFL.
Pointless throw away empty remark. Unrealistic too. Given the fact homosexuality is by far a minority, if your statistical nonsense prediction were true there would not even BE an NFL to watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
It was and is gross.
To you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
Not every person no matter what their party affiliation wants to see 2 men kissing.
Then do not look. I do not "want" to see obese people on my television either. When I do I either get over it, or switch channel. Because I realize the one with the issue is ME not the television or the people on it.

The issue on threads like this is that people who are homophobe and/or grossed out by a PDA between same sex partners.... do not reconize the issue lies with them themselves. They want to project THEIR issue on to the television, the players, the network, the sport, the law, society and much more.

Everyone else has the issue. They never check the mirror.

Quote:
It is immoral to commit homosexual acts.
Says you. But I doubt you are going to even attempt to substantiate or support that outright assertion at all. Actually I expect you simply think "immoral" means "Doing anything I personally do not want to do".

Old 05-14-2014, 01:17 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,191,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
The difference is that this player wasn't standing for what he believed in. He was a hypocritical fraud. If he wanted to stand for what he believed in, he would not have agreed to the NFL playbook and signed the contract in the first place. But, instead, he decided to support the NFL and agreed to follow the rules. That's the issue here.

The issue is not what the player said.
The issue is the NFL caving in to the gay agenda.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 AM

Quote:
The issue is the NFL caving in to the gay agenda.
So you're anti-american? Then why even bother living here? If you can't respect a private entity's rights to determine how they conduct business, America is not the place for you. Your liberal extremist mindset is no good for this nation.

Old 05-14-2014, 01:19 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,929,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
No, it's not. Saying the N-word is demeaning and offensive (I'll buy that context matters). Expressing an opinion by calling something gross... is just expressing an opinion.
It was more than just an innocent opinion...that's why he was fined. And society has judged his comment to be deplorable and insensitive. I say ban him for life just like Sterling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies