Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2014, 08:49 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,095,708 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I often wonder just how many of these laws have no other intention than providing billable hours for the lawyers that vote for them.
Are you referring to real laws, or HappyTexan's made up "hate speech" laws?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:50 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
As a private organization, the NFL can demand certain decorum and standards of behavior and respect between players - it's employees. This is not an unreasonable thing.

Calling a same-sex kiss "gross" is no different than if a player called a kiss between a black player and his white girlfriend "gross," (something I have heard more times than I can possibly count in my lifetime). Players would be offended and problems and fights would start in the organization if that sort of remark was tolerated.

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Nope. But I also don't like the actions of the thought police today approving what speech is acceptable or not, be it from the government, or a business.

It depends on what they did "wrong." All the player said was he thought it was gross. Big f***n' deal! Personally, I don't care if Michael Sam is gay or not. Whether or not he can play the game, is the ONLY thing that he should be judged on. If not, he'll be out of the league. Having said that I have no desire to supress someone elses opinion, such as this player's opinion whether I disagree with him or not.
There is no thought police, as you know. There is the free market which is working exactly the way it should in these cases.

Some libertarian you are. Talk about a false flag.

10,125 posts, read 13,979,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I am talking to you, not another poster. Kissing someone doesn't create children, and a person should be able to kiss their own partner without discrimination. How many heterosexual couples did you see kissing over the weekend? What was your reaction to that?
I just explained that my point had nothing to do with the main topic, it was in response to what someone else said. I don't know how else I can explain that to you.

I honestly did not see any heterosexual couples kissing this weekend other than me kissing my wife, but even with that said, I don't necessarily enjoying seeing every heterosexual couple kissing. I personally think some of it is gross. Fine me.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justtitans View Post

What other animals are civilized since you want me to stop. I stop and listen to you educate us.
Given man's murder rates and the number of meaningless wars waged throughout history among other things, why is there any reason to believe man is 'civilized'?

Old 05-12-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
How are homosexual and heterosexual relationships not the same? They are both relationships.
Do you know what the same means? Not trying to be funny, but I have explained that already. This is starting to become repetitive. You are basically asking me the same questions all over again.

Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM

4,139 posts, read 4,525,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
My brother and I were watching a Draft recap yesterday and the kissing segment. We just looked at each other and said "Gross" simultaneously.

I am telling you folks no real guy(hetero) understands this sort of attraction as normal. A man's penis is designed to fit inside a woman's vagina not another male's orfice. Male to male contact is an aberration.

Brave New World we have created.

NB: Both of our wives agreed it was gross as well.
Although I am no fan of public displays of affection (either straight or gay), I sometimes think the only way people who are repulsed or "grossed out" by seeing two men kiss is for it to be as common place in public as a straight couple. Gay couples continue to avoid showing any visible signs of affection toward each other in public (with the exception of gay events or gay ghettos) because of reactions like the one quoted above. Maybe gay and lesbian folk need to just say *@#* it, and put their arms around each other, hug, kiss, whatever straight couples have done forever in public, without worrying about everybody else's reactions. It really IS the problem of the observer. I thought Sam's public display was over the top but reading this thread I think, maybe we all need stop worrying about what other people think and just live our lives. People need to get used to it, time is marching on, gay folks are not living in the closet anymore and that means we should expect them to behave in public just as heterosexuals have done for decades. get used to it!

Old 05-12-2014, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Given man's murder rates and the number of meaningless wars waged throughout history among other things, why is there any reason to believe man is 'civilized'?
Okay so we're not civilized then. We are like all the other animals, we don't have clothes, we don't live in houses, don't drive cars, don't educate ourselves, we don't do anything any different than any other animals. Heck we don't even go to prison for murdering other people because like animals, we are in the wild and just are the survival of the fittest. There I said it. Are you happy with that now?

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
They are all kowtowing to the court of public opinion.
This "private" decision is totally based on public perception and public opinion.

PC gone amuck if you ask me.

He committed no crime and I think he shouldn't be fined nor made to go to "diversity camp".

Freedom of Speech is something I defend.
Yes. And the court of public opinion is EXACTLY what the free market is based on.

All of these protestations against the acts of the free market by conservative posters who proclaim over and over that they're not anti-gay … prove over and over that they ARE anti-gay.

That's all there is to it. You can't be a real conservative and turn around to demand that businesses behave according to your personal moral preferences. As long as you do, you're just a plain old, garden-variety bigot.

7,846 posts, read 6,401,995 times
Quote:
I often wonder just how many of these laws have no other intention than providing billable hours for the lawyers that vote for them.
:facepalm:

Discrimination is illegal for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies