Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2014, 01:25 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,828,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
A handsome blond dude or a beautiful blonde girl does not need good grades to land a good job.
Good for them, but what about the rest of them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2014, 01:26 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,381,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
i am quite good and spelling words that arent actual words! LOL.

ive overcome the vast majority of the impediments of dyslexia however that pesky spelling thing beats me down every time. it could be worse, i could not be illliberal. insert giggle track here....
The 'giggle track' here is me laughing at the righties holding up the hated NYT as a bastion of truth, justice, and the 'Murican Way.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:30 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,756,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovert View Post
I think the proposals are supposed to show how the research is going to benefit whoever they want to get money from and like you said the diversity part is not a requirement.
It is not required, but many still do that.
My professor wrote, he has a female PhD student and part of the funding will be used to support her as a graduate research assistant. He also mentioned one of his classes had 60% female students or something.

Old 05-12-2014, 01:32 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
It is not required, but many still do that.
My professor wrote, he has a female PhD student and part of the funding will be used to support her as a graduate research assistant. He also mentioned one of his classes had 60% female students or something.
Are they hot?

Old 05-28-2014, 01:43 PM

6,084 posts, read 6,043,961 times
Quote:
A handsome blond dude or a beautiful blonde girl does not need good grades to land a good job.
Don't sweat it, because you never in what directions the winds of change will blow.

"Meanwhile, the Chinese government is intent on turning its wind energy industry into the global leader, helping manufacturers coordinate export strategies and providing various sorts of technical assistance. Mr. Li, the overseer of the Chinese renewable energy industry, publicly exhorted the leaders of the nation’s biggest wind turbine makers at the China Wind Power conference, a three-day event that drew hundreds of executives from around the world.

“You cannot be called a winner if you are the leader for three or five years,” Mr. Li told the Chinese executives. “You can only stand on the top line if you are the leader for 100 or 200 years.”

The Chinese presidents sat quietly and respectfully, chins down. Senior executives from the foreign manufacturers — including Vestas, G.E. and Gamesa — sat alongside them, staring straight ahead in stony silence."

Last edited by kovert; 05-28-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 05-28-2014, 01:56 PM

78,388 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Professors were more responsive to white male students than to female, black, Hispanic, Indian or Chinese students in almost every discipline and across all types of universities. We found the most severe bias in disciplines paying higher faculty salaries and at private universities. In a perverse twist of academic fate, our own discipline of business showed the most bias, with 87 percent of white males receiving a response compared with just 62 percent of all females and minorities combined.

Surprisingly, several supposed advantages that some people believe women and minorities enjoy did not materialize in our data. For example: Were Asians favored, given the model minority stereotype they supposedly benefit from in academic contexts? No. In fact, Chinese students were the most discriminated-against group in our sample. Did reaching out to someone of the same gender or race — such as a black student emailing a black professor — reduce bias? No. We saw the same levels of bias in both same-race and same-gender faculty-student pairs that we saw in pairs not sharing a race or gender (the one exception was Chinese students writing to Chinese professors).

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/op...-too.html?_r=1
Their ending conclusion:

Quote:
In sum, each of the supposed hidden advantages of being a woman or minority proved to be no more than a phantom.
is a wierd statement to make because you cannot make the leap and assume that someones willingness to respond to an email means there are no admission biases. It also assumes that the willingness to accept the student and help them further is the same as it took to write them an email.

The rest of the article was quite interesting but I'm going to withold judgment until I see a peer reviewed study of their findings because they are from a business school and I don't see and stats background.

Now, if this had come out of U of Chicago stats dept. then I'd be feeling a whole lot better about the quality of the claims.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:57 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,535,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I never really questioned my profs politics, did you? I was too busy trying to get thru Chem, physics, Calculus etc. and make the weekly kegger to give a rat's ass about their politics.

Or do you just think we should take ASSumption as fact?
What college did you graduate from?

Old 05-28-2014, 02:03 PM

78,388 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Depending upon the field you work in, communication skills, personality and a host of other "non graded" skill sets come into play....especially in market, sales etc.

This kind of vague whining doesn't really bolster your case fyi.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:22 PM

2,463 posts, read 2,788,478 times
Quote:
So, an article written by women is not bias? How is it possible to get accurate data from such a poll? Are students responsible for input? Are professors volunteering the fact that they are bias? It's pretty ridiculous.

Old 05-28-2014, 02:47 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 22 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,539,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I didn't have to question them. They made their beliefs known, loud and clear in many ways.
I think the argument is simply that All professors do not do that, and all of them are not Liberal.

I only had 3 professors ever talk about ideology, 2 economics teachers and 1 Business stats.

One of my economics teachers was Left or center, the other deeply conservative. My Businesses Stats teacher leaned more Libertarian than Conservative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies