Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2014, 01:16 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,663,099 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Sounds like dinner items to me..not like it's milk and cookies.

From the OP link:

Meals that are being served for supper include hamburgers, spaghetti, hot dogs, Chicken sandwiches and tangerine teriyaki.
Yes, I went to the first page and read the article.

However, there is your 8 ounce burger (yum!) and then there is your 3 ounce burger. The article made no mention of portion sizes.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:25 PM

14,292 posts, read 9,692,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
So, if my daughter was involved with after-school sports until 5:00pm or so I should leave work to bring her food?

My place of employment would have loved that!

Just face the pettiness; embrace it! Be proud of it! After all, you are putting it out there for all to see! Why deny?
You either pack her a lunch, or give her $5 to buy something to eat. What's wrong, is parenting too tough for you?

Old 05-13-2014, 01:27 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,905,047 times
Quote:
My bad..you are right.
50 million lunches and 70% of those lunches were free/reduced.

FWIW every family has to return that free lunch form.
And citizenship is not required to get free/reduced lunch at school.
Eligibility for reduced is around $36K a year income (family size 3).
Eligibiliby for free is around $26K a year income (family size 3).

Free/reduced lunch is not indicative of poverty as it seems to be in middle class income range.
It's an easy mistake to make. I'm a stickler for stats b/c of my work in immunizations. I know how the deniers twist the stats.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:28 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,343,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If ever there was a clear and unquestionable indication that the United States of America is on the downhill slide, it would be that of a government agency providing free supper for children at their local schools.

Jobs? Not enough.
Welfare? Not enough.
Food stamps? Not enough.

Deny it all you want.....this great country is dying a slow death by a trillion paper cuts.
Yes, a sure sign of a country in decline is that country feeding it's children.
Better they go hungry.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Yes, a sure sign of a country in decline is that country feeding it's children.
Better they go hungry.
Feeding them breakfast, lunch and dinner while also handing their parents Food Stamp money.

Yes it is a sign of decline when the government has to step in and feed people's kids.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:35 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,504,786 times
I thought parents were supposed to feed their kids

Old 05-13-2014, 01:37 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,663,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by softblueyz View Post
How about the novel concept of going back to providing students a decent lunch? Many schools are following the Healthy Lunch Program created by Michelle Obama. The program is pretty much a failure and is being "re-invented". Before the program there were no complaints and there was no need for dinners to be provided by the schools.
If the kids don't like the food, they can bring their own. It is not mandatory that they eat the food provided by the school, you know.

I'd also like to see your proof that 'before the program...there was no need for dinners...'.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:42 PM

8,732 posts, read 6,790,808 times
Quote:
Dinner at school is a new concept.

No apples and oranges at all.
My son had after school activities and I picked him up when I got off of work.
Went home and cooked dinner.

I must be the odd one out here. I worked so there was never any "dinner at 4pm" in my house.
Dinner is between 6-6:30pm.
Errr.................maybe you should re-read your post. Adults working in an organization either eat breakfast at home, or stop off and pick something up on the way to work or from the cafeteria and eat it at their desk (I did). Or did you never see that happen? Organizations usually assign lunch between noon and 2. Not so in school. Workers get breaks and can grab a snack or did you never see a worker do that? Not so in school, Oh, and workers also have something called "unlimited choices".

Not everyone works the same schedule as you or eats dinner the same time as you.

You aren't the only one that picked up their child when they finished their school activities and went home and cooked dinner. I worked and by the time I got home dinner was 7-7:30. That's the case for millions of mothers. Sometimes I even did the unthinkable - bad mommy picked up a pizza!!

Old 05-13-2014, 01:45 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,471,039 times
Kids are wussies these days and parents suck. None of this went on when people my age went to school and we all ended up better than these future freeloaders will.

Old 05-13-2014, 01:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,583,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
If the kids don't like the food, they can bring their own. It is not mandatory that they eat the food provided by the school, you know.

I'd also like to see your proof that 'before the program...there was no need for dinners...'.
Congress changed the laws in 2012.
Up to then schools provides snacks, not meals.

But millions of children are hungry so Congress changed it to full meals instead of snacks.
They also added weekends, holidays and summer meals to the program.

Are we fighting obesity, starvation or both here ?

The issue was pushed by the Afterschool Alliance, a nonprofit funded by educational think tank foundations.
Millions of kids are going hungry because their parents aren't feeding them.
Why aren't we outraged at this act of child abuse that is becoming so prevalent in our society ?

Afterschool Meal Programs Feed Hungry Children, Help Schools -- WASHINGTON, Sept. 18, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies